Possible moderate CCleaner bug affecting IE7 + other things

elton

Hi there,

I've used CCleaner for a long time now, excellent program. However, I've since discovered what I believe to be a glitch when the program is run on Windows Vista.

A while ago, I lost printing functionality in IE7, whenever I tried to print, I was faced with an error like this one:

"Cannot find 'file:///C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/x.htm'. Make sure the path or address is correct."

Upon browsing to the Temp dir mentioned, I found that nothing was there, presumably since CCleaner cleans it out whenever the system is booted. Upon trying another system with Vista on it, without CCleaner, I found the Low directory intact. When printing from IE7, the randomly-named .htm file momentarily appears while the print job is being queued.

In an effort to reproduce the bug, I purposely deleted the Low directory from this Temp directory on the other machine. Afterwards, the same symptoms ensued on this other computer. IE7 printing was affected in the exact same way.

Attempting to remedy the problem, I recreated the Low directory, set to inherit permissions from the parent. This made no difference, IE7 still could not print. It is, however, able to print when run as Administrator, instead of Protected Mode. This makes some sense, since the Low directory is mentioned in a few MS articles talking about their new Protected Mode facility.

It would seem that IE, when running in Protected Mode, cannot write to the recreated Low directory. I have no idea why, since the permissions allows my user account complete control over the directory. It would also seem that this directory, even though it is located in a folder designated for temporary files, is a permanently required addition to the OS.

In addition to reporting this possible bug, any advice on how to restore the IE7 printing facility in light of the above would be appreciated.

1. Try using the recuva program and look see if the file is recoverable.

or

2. Have you tried just creating a renamed text file there?

Create a new .txt file and rename it x.htm or whatever random name is used and see what happens.

or

3. Try using system restore, hopefully it is regarded as important enough for it to back it up...

fireryone

Hi there,

I've used CCleaner for a long time now, excellent program. However, I've since discovered what I believe to be a glitch when the program is run on Windows Vista.

A while ago, I lost printing functionality in IE7, whenever I tried to print, I was faced with an error like this one:

"Cannot find 'file:///C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Temp/Low/x.htm'. Make sure the path or address is correct."

Upon browsing to the Temp dir mentioned, I found that nothing was there, presumably since CCleaner cleans it out whenever the system is booted. Upon trying another system with Vista on it, without CCleaner, I found the Low directory intact. When printing from IE7, the randomly-named .htm file momentarily appears while the print job is being queued.

In an effort to reproduce the bug, I purposely deleted the Low directory from this Temp directory on the other machine. Afterwards, the same symptoms ensued on this other computer. IE7 printing was affected in the exact same way.

Attempting to remedy the problem, I recreated the Low directory, set to inherit permissions from the parent. This made no difference, IE7 still could not print. It is, however, able to print when run as Administrator, instead of Protected Mode. This makes some sense, since the Low directory is mentioned in a few MS articles talking about their new Protected Mode facility.

It would seem that IE, when running in Protected Mode, cannot write to the recreated Low directory. I have no idea why, since the permissions allows my user account complete control over the directory. It would also seem that this directory, even though it is located in a folder designated for temporary files, is a permanently required addition to the OS.

In addition to reporting this possible bug, any advice on how to restore the IE7 printing facility in light of the above would be appreciated.

To solve your problem, you need to change the integrity level of the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low folder

Execute the following command: icacls C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Protected mode can only write to low integrity objects.

More information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/02/09/528963.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....otectedmode.asp

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1887

To solve your problem, you need to change the integrity level of the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low folder

Execute the following command: icacls C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Protected mode can only write to low integrity objects.

More information:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/02/09/528963.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....otectedmode.asp

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1887

Thanks very much for this, works a treat.

Will a version of CCleaner be available shortly that excludes this directory from its cleaning?

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that this error only occurs if you have moved your Favorites folder from it's default location. Did you ever move your favorites? I have and I had the same problem after running CCleaner.

I also would like to be able to run CCleaner without having to recreate the low directory and run the icacls command everytime. Hopefully they release a version soon that doesn't delete the low directory.

I thought I had finally found a cleaner program that didn't cause problems until I tried to print in Internet Explorer 7. Every other cleaner has messed up at least one thing. This seems to be the only thing that CCleaner messes up, so I'm hoping not to discover anything else.

I have read that this error only occurs if you have moved your Favorites folder from it's default location. Did you ever move your favorites? I have and I had the same problem after running CCleaner.

I also would like to be able to run CCleaner without having to recreate the low directory and run the icacls command everytime. Hopefully they release a version soon that doesn't delete the low directory.

I thought I had finally found a cleaner program that didn't cause problems until I tried to print in Internet Explorer 7. Every other cleaner has messed up at least one thing. This seems to be the only thing that CCleaner messes up, so I'm hoping not to discover anything else.

I have indeed moved my Favourites directory. I recall having problems trying to create entries in it from within IE7 in the past, different error message, but still permission related. Possibly another problem relating to the Low directory?

• 1 month later...

Having the same problems here. Each time I run CCleaner, I have to...

Create C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\Temp\Low

Then run.... icacls C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Can this bug not be ironed out so CCleaner doesnt remove that folder?

• 10 months later...
Having the same problems here. Each time I run CCleaner, I have to...

Create C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\Temp\Low

Then run.... icacls C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Can this bug not be ironed out so CCleaner doesnt remove that folder?

Well, I've only just got Vista and I've just got this bug...

CCleaner doesn't remove the Low folder for me, so I suppose I ought to try that...

Just running icacls didn't sort it...

unlike a previous responder, I did mange to get a print when I ran IE as administrator

my one helpful hint re the last comment above "so CCleaner doesn't remove the folder". Can't you exclude it from the Options section in CCleaner? I've just added the Low folder to the exclusions to see whether that would make it leave the folder alone...

Still doesn't work though, but if I can get it working it might stop a future occurrence... maybe...

Has anyone got any other thoughts on this mess...

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am sorry if you are still having problems with this issue.

We have tested on our Vista 32/64 machines with UAC and Protected Mode:On and unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce this bug after v2.03.532 when it was originally fixed. We even moved our favorites folder to another location as previously suggested.

It doesn't matter what we do, C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\Low folder is left intact after running CCleaner with System->Temporary Files checked; and IE has no problems using the folder for its temporary files when printing.

If we can't reproduce it in house it will be difficult to fix it.

We appreciate if you could help us reproduce this error by providing us as much details as you can so we can fix this possible bug; Perhaps a set of steps we should follow to help us recreate this issue.

Thank you very much for your support and understanding.

Hi everyone,

If we can't reproduce it in house it will be difficult to fix it.

We appreciate if you could help us reproduce this error by providing us as much details as you can so we can fix this possible bug; Perhaps a set of steps we should follow to help us recreate this issue.

Thank you very much for your support and understanding.

I'll provide what detail I can, but our situation is such that we've really only discovered the problem after the event that caused it.

We have a couple of new Toshiba Equium laptops with Vista Premium installed and as part of the migration from our old XP pcs, I naturally installed CCleaner. I have one of the machines, my son the other for study. Since we deployed the laptops he has been printing out all sorts of stuff from all sorts of places, including IE7, until this last weekend when I went to use his machine (my wife had snaffled mine...) While I was using my son's machine I thought I'd better do a quick cleanup and clear out the cache etc as it hadn't been done since first use about a month or so back. Since then, IE7 printing hasn't worked. As I print less than my son, it's only subsequently that I've discovered mine is the same, but I run CCleaner a couple of times a week...

The only thing I'm not sure about here is that I'd have thought I must have run CCleaner when first installed just to prove it works, with our usual settings, but I can't be sure that I did. If that was true, it suggests that you have to print before running CCleaner before the problem occurs, maybe? I would have got CCleaner and basic print (test page across the network) ready for my son to start using for schoolwork, then he had several weeks without a problem until I reran CCleaner... Don't know if that gives any clues...

For now, my son managed to print without a problem using the 'run as administrator' option for IE to get his homework off the laptop last night, but I'm not keen on setting that as a security default as there are reasons for using that level of protection. That said, if I'd realised how much of a pain UAC was going to be doing the migration from XP, I'd have switched the damn thing off <_<

As for CCleaner, its at 2.06.567 level. As for settings on the Cleaner page, I have everything ticked under IE and System, everything ticked except 'Recent' under Explorer, and I've also got 'old prefetch' ticked under Advance. The only other option that I think I've set is that is does a 'Secure Delete' using an NSA 7-pass algorithm. Can't think what else to tell you, but happy to answer any further questions...

I have and am experiencing the issue with up-to-date Vista Ultimate (32-bit)and up-to-date CCleaner. I did move my User folders (all of them, not just "Favorites" to another partition on the same physical device, and have reproduced it for several users, incuding both admin and non-admin accounts. I now just run a CMD file at login to create the folder and set the ACL over.

Guest MrT

Hi everyone,

Would it be possible, for any of you having problems, to post the location (full path) of the "Low" folder?

We might be able to reproduce if we have an idea of the new location you are using.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Would it be possible, for any of you having problems, to post the location (full path) of the "Low" folder?

We might be able to reproduce if we have an idea of the new location you are using.

Thanks

We're setup as C:\Users\office\AppData\Local\Temp\Low as we've never moved/deleted the folder - with UAC, it wouldn't let me :blink:

For some reason, I now seem to have a subordinate folder called the same... i.e. C:\Users\office\AppData\Local\Temp\Low\Low which is kind of odd... still doesn't print, though :(

Guest MrT

Hi everyone,

Good news! We've managed to replicate the issue and have found a solution which will be in the next release.

The problem is related to moving the Temp folder, so a workaround would be to move the Temp folder back to the default location.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi everyone,

Good news! We've managed to replicate the issue and have found a solution which will be in the next release.

The problem is related to moving the Temp folder, so a workaround would be to move the Temp folder back to the default location.

:unsure: umm... I'm pretty sure I haven't moved the Temp folder...

Hi everyone,

My TEMP variable has not been altered. It is split from where my USER files are, though.

TEMP=C:\Users\Todd\AppData\Local\Temp

and my data directory has been moved to

D:\USERS\TODD

The directory that gets messed up is

C:\USERS\TODD\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\LOW

My TEMP variable has not been altered. It is split from where my USER files are, though.

TEMP=C:\Users\Todd\AppData\Local\Temp

and my data directory has been moved to

D:\USERS\TODD

The directory that gets messed up is

C:\USERS\TODD\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\LOW

Hello, I'm also having this problem. What can I do to fix it. I tried the above mentioned steps but still cannot print. Thanks for your help and thanks for a great product!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

We've upgraded to the next release (2.07.575) but we're still having the same problem - we're having to run IE as Administrator to print anything from IE...

Is that the right 'next' release or is there another one coming?

Thanks.

Help please.

When I gp tp print all looks good except the printer que says 0 documents pending then eventually goes away.

I already have the Low folder, in fact it has other stuff in it.

Then so I ran in the run box.... icacls C:\Users\myname here\AppData\Local\Temp\Low /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

it flashed a box on the screen so fast i couldnt see what it was but did nothing to fix the non print.

i reread some other info and did not realize you needed to do it in a cmd prompt box (forgive my ignorance) so I did it there and it gives my an invalid parameter msg.

Again, Please help.

maybe instuctions are above my head? please be more specific with repair details

running Vista home premium

Al

Well, I've only just got Vista and I've just got this bug...

CCleaner doesn't remove the Low folder for me, so I suppose I ought to try that...

Just running icacls didn't sort it...

unlike a previous responder, I did mange to get a print when I ran IE as administrator

my one helpful hint re the last comment above "so CCleaner doesn't remove the folder". Can't you exclude it from the Options section in CCleaner? I've just added the Low folder to the exclusions to see whether that would make it leave the folder alone...

Still doesn't work though, but if I can get it working it might stop a future occurrence... maybe...

Has anyone got any other thoughts on this mess...

Thanks

Im more interested in fixing the issue im my computer than in the program that created the problem. Help please

• 7 months later...

If you create a print file but leave it pending, and then run CCleaner, after that the file could have gone.

Unless you are running CCleaner whilst you are simultaneously printing, I do not see how CCleaner could be responsible for deleting the print file whilst it is being created.

If you have seen the file being created and immediately lost / deleted, perhaps :-

1. The printer drivers have read all the data "instantly" and signalled completion without actually putting ink to paper;

2. Something strange happened to the registry.

Possibly causes might be a Windows security patch, or cleaning the registry.

I always protect myself by having Windows update totally disabled until every-one else has had a few days to complain if the latest security patches cause problems, and then before enabling the update I archive a disc image ready for an instant restoration should I wish.

Additionally, I never clean the registry without first agonising over the possible consequences of each item, and only then do I clean with the backup option selected.

Regards

Alan