The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction

Cutepuffy16

Everytime i try to run a program that runs in DOS. The same error keeps showing:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem <-----this in in the title of the error

(Name of the program is here)

The NTVD CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

CS:0556 IP:01a3 OP:63 6f 6d 6d 75 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

I dont get it..What do i do to get rid of this message???

• Moderators

Here is an interesting read for you, people with the same problem.

The way the thread ends you may want to ask Andy's advice again.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-5...struction-.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

There was also a suggestion ( at the bottom) that it could be virus related, which is why I thought you might want to follow that up.

As for having to possibly reinstall windows, I would wait under someone with more knowledge than I have, advises you if that is really what you need to do.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi CutePuffy,

I dont know the solution to this as Ive not noticed it before but with your HJT log showing that you have been running cracked software that is infected it could be an indication that some main Windows Files have been changed or are missing.

Start with the System File Checker

Goto Start Menu -> Run -> type

SFC /SCANNOW

(There's a space after SFC) , Press OK and it will run the System File Checker. Follow the prompts, and insert your Windows installation CD if requested then reboot the computer after it has finished.

If it doesnt help then you may want to consider upgrading your system to ServicePack2 now your scan logs look clean and it will hopefully repair the problem as part of the upgrade.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Download all the critical updates for Windows, including the latest version of Internet Explorer. This can patch many of the security holes through which attackers can gain access to your computer. This may require you to Reboot and revisit Windows Updates again to get the remaining updates. Please follow the prompts on the Windows Updates site and keep re-visiting untill there is no more updates available.

Andy

OKY..coming back to the problem, I made a mistake in what the error says because is so similar.The erroe message is almost the same, here it is:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem <-----this in in the title of the error

(Name of the program is here)

The NTVD CPU has encountered an unhandled exception.

CS:0556 IP:01a3 OP:63 6f 6d 6d 75 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

The program use to run fine like for two years now, and now im getting that error message out of nowhere!!

Hi CutePuffy

Ive just come across this issue on another forum I help on and it does indicate that either command.com, autoexec.nt or config.nt is missing or corrupt

Please download this file

http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/xp_fix.exe

Save it to your desktop and run the setup file which will reinstall the files required then Reboot the PC.

Let us know how it goes

Andy

There goes that idea :unsure:

Have you run SFC using the XP disk and upgraded to SP2 yet or is there a reason why you cannot do that ?

I tried that too, but still..I dont get wat's going on

Have you checked your Event Viewer to see what it says there?

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

1. In the Left Window Pane click on 'Application Log'. Then click on 'Action' (at the top) and choose clear all events. If you are asked to save the log choose 'NO'.

2. In the Left Window Pane click on 'System Log'. Then click on 'Action' (at the top) and choose clear all events. If you are asked to save the log choose 'NO'.

3. Close all Windows and run the program to recreate the error you are experiencing. Once the error has ocurrred open the Event Viewer again. Look in both the Application and System Logs for anything with a yellow exclamation and anything with a red X next to them.

4. If you find anything please post back with Source, Event ID, and the Description.

Hopefully this will give more information about what is going on. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Also, do a search for USER.EXE

Goto Start Menu > Search > Click All Files and Folders, scroll down to the More Advanced Options which is the last option, click that and then make sure there is a check next to Search System Folders, Search Hidden Files and Folders & Search Subfolders

If you do find USER.EXE on your system where is it showing? The complete path please.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Oky, i did that, didnt find anything after i checked again

Okay, did you look for the USER.EXE file? If found where is it located? Refer to Post #12.

:unsure: No, it didnt find it.. :(

Okay, well hopefully that is your only problem here then. USER.EXE is the Windows User-interface core component. What is strange here though is that sfc /scannow should have replaced that missing file.

Now do a search for USER.EXE the same way as before, but put your CD in and choose to search that drive whatever letter that is on your pc. It will probably be located in the I386 folder on your CD.

Copy that file to 2 places on your pc, but copy it to the dllcache first.

C:\WINDOWS\system32

and

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Side Note: When you are running DOS applications are you using Cmd.exe or Command.com?

It cant find the file on th Cd either, it only finds a file name "layout" :angry::angry::angry:<_<

I also tryied doing repair installation (Recovery Console), but when i get to the administrator password, I type the correct one, and it tells me that is not valid. <_<

krit: The files on the Windows installation CD don't end in their usual extensions. Try looking for user.ex_.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Okay, I will get back to you on the USER.EXE file shortly. Are you using XP Home or Professional?

Also, you don't want to do a repair installation...at least not yet. If you end up needing to there is an easier way than using the Recovery Console. :) But that should be a last resort.

When you are running DOS applications are you using Cmd.exe or Command.com?

-Oky..ill search userfile like this "user.ex_"

-Ive been only trying to run that program, i havent been tryin other programs with DOS..i dont know what else to run, the program is a program that my dad's friend made, which have been running fine for two years now, except for NOW

-Cmd.exe or command.com??--Im not sure..i have no idea

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache - it's a folder, look in alphabetical order..it is there. Copy it into your C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder as well.

Reboot after that and see if the error is still occurring.

It needs to be expanded.

Start > Run > cmd.exe

(replace "X:" with the drive letter of your CD-ROM in the following) :

X:cd \i386expand user.ex_ /r %systemroot%\system32

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

So what happened here? Is everything fixed now, or what?