WARNING: New buggy feature introduced - Think carefully before updating from version 4.17 to higher builds

c627627

Ccleaner is one of the most useful programs and one of the best in its class.

Just released v4.18 introduces a very buggy mandatory Monitoring feature.

It is ON by default, not as a feature which can be turned ON optionally. It is difficult to impossible to disable on some systems. Most annoyingly, it stays in the Task Bar even if you launch CCleaner with a shortcut which has an /AUTO string at the end, which should terminate the program after it executes its main cleaning function, but it doesn't - even after you adjust options... The fact that a buggy version has been out for a few days now without being pulled is a warning that it might be time to simply stop upgrading, unless you specifically need one of the other non-buggy new features, which most of us do not. There are now multiple lengthy threads on this problematic new feature with people option to pull back to v4.17 and stay there.

Not pulling version 4.18 is a the reason for this warning.

This means future problems are likely to be treated the same, so why update, unless absolutely necessary for a specific reason?

Up to know, updating was OK because the program was always stable. v4.18 problems were obvious and obvious quickly - this makes us question how much testing was done prior to taking this build out of Beta. Obviously not much. So no more updates for a while.

I just installed 4.18 and noticed this problem with trying to turn the monitoring feature off, and it still staying in the task manager, and even ending the process, it started again when launching CCcleaner.  I've reverted back to 4.17 and staying there as was suggested.  I just joined the forum, so thanks for the information all ready posted.

Strange, no problem here. I disabled monitoring that way:

1.) Options > Monitoring > uncheck "Enable system monitoring"
2.) Options > Advanced > uncheck "Enable Active Monitoring"

Edit: Found the Bug Reporting thread. Strange that it does not work one some systems?!

Edited by APMichael

• Admin
Hi,

You can now download v4.18.4844. This version allows for easier control of the new Active Monitoring feature.

Active Monitoring can be disabled by:

1.    Open CCleaner, then click Options > Monitoring

2.    Disable System Monitoring by unticking the box next to "Enable System Monitoring"

3.    Disable Active Monitoring by unticking the box next to "Enable Active Monitoring", and click Yes when the confirmation box appears

Go to ccleaner.ini in the ccleaner folder and change the Monitoring line from 1 to 0.

You are right, changing the Enable System Monitoring will not stop the monitoring.

Not every installation uses the ccleaner.ini. Just uncheck Enable System Monitoring and Enable Active Monitoring and you are fine. Both options have to be disabled.

Why is this feature ON by default?

If it was a _choice_ to turn ON, all these problems would have been avoided, people would use it at their own risk.

Making this feature OFF by default and optional to turn ON would be the best thing to do as soon as possible.

You can now download v4.18.4844. This version allows for easier control of the new Active Monitoring feature.

New version also buggy. Also stays in the Task Bar.

Ccleaner is definitley also aggressively repeatedly trying to insert itself into WIndows Startup. Good thing thing there are intercept programs to prevent it from doing so.

We now have multiple buggy releases so it's clear that staying with v4.17, disabling updates and not updating is the way to go.

Not every installation uses the ccleaner.ini. Just uncheck Enable System Monitoring and Enable Active Monitoring and you are fine. Both options have to be disabled.

Enable Active Monitoring was not checked on my 4.18 install by default, only the Enable System Monitoring.  I turned it off, and it would still not go away, so not sure what you are talking about.  I had to go into the Task Manager to kill it, but I'm fine with going back to v4.17.  I hope somebody explains what the Monitoring component is supposed to do anyway.

Enable Active Monitoring was not checked on my 4.18 install by default, only the Enable System Monitoring.  I turned it off, and it would still not go away, so not sure what you are talking about.

It only seems that "Enable Active Monitoring" is not turned on.

After the update/installation of version 4.18.4842 the Options > Advanced menu looks like attached image 42_01.jpg.

The option "Enable Active Monitoring" is locked and greyed out.

Now go to Options > Monitoring and uncheck the option "Enable system monitoring" (image 42_02.jpg).

After that go back to Options > Advanced and you will see that the option "Enable Active Monitoring" becomes accessible (image 42_03.jpg).

Uncheck it and click Yes when the confirmation box appears. Done!

The new version 4.18.4844 changed the layout of the menus. Options > Monitoring shows both options now (image 44_01.jpg).

Uncheck the option "Enable system monitoring". After that the option "Enable Active Monitoring" becomes accessible (image 44_02.jpg).

Uncheck it and click Yes when the confirmation box appears. Done!

post-58475-0-17848100-1411759525_thumb.jpg

post-58475-0-21627300-1411759533_thumb.jpg

post-58475-0-40671100-1411759538_thumb.jpg

post-58475-0-43655500-1411759545_thumb.jpg

post-58475-0-71328200-1411759554_thumb.jpg

Both versions get stuck in the Task Bar when /AUTO command is used to automatically start then clean then close CCleaner. This has not been fixed.

The entire point of the program is supposed to be to free up resources. Now i's inserting itself into the Windows Start Up (!), it's setup to constantly be running by default (!) - this defeats the purpose of the program for most people.

thanks  APMichael but until a final released version is fully tested and ready for the public, I don't feel convinced everything is as it should be.  as a former programmer myself, I know how these things go sometimes.  I don't feel like the Monitor option is fully tested to work as intended, and I still don't know what it is supposed to do.  I don't like enabling new features, when I have no idea what it does, and why I would want it.

Both versions get stuck in the Task Bar when /AUTO command is used to automatically start then clean then close CCleaner. This has not been fixed.

I cannot confirm that! Also the command /AUTO works flawless (on 3 different PCs). There are no Windows Startup entries of CCleaner.

I am sorry; I do not know why it does not work on your system. Maybe there is a conflict with a security tool?

And I agree with you that Monitoring should be disabled by default. It causes too much trouble.

thanks APMichael but until a final released version is fully tested and ready for the public, .... I don't like enabling new features, when I have no idea what it does, and why I would want it.

Ok, I understand your point. Right, Piriform should publish a manual or detailed description for the new Monitoring feature.

• Moderators

and what version are you on now?

does Exit work or did you have to kill it via Task Manager?
is it happening every time you run it?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Build 4844Exit works, but after executing /AUTO - it stays in Taskbar as pictured in post above yours. It should close and exit.

The /AUTO is a deal breaker for me. I have three batch files one to clean, one to clean and reboot and one to clean and shutdown. Surprise surprise, they no longer work. Rolling back to a older version until this issue is fixed.

• Moderators

Using /AUTO works correctly for me.

I'm thinking you guys might still have the registry startup for Active Monitoring in the registry from the previous buggy 4.18 version.

To check navigate in the registry to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Edit:

Or if you've downloaded the bug fix 4.18 version read post #1 here to learn how to turn-off the monitoring via CCleaner itself: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=41860

Edited by Andavari