CC is corrupting Google Chrome's settings file

darossa

Hi, happened twice already: after scaning and cleaning with CCleaner, my default browser, Comodo Dragon, which is a modification of Google Chrome, gets reset: I get a message saying the settings file have been corrupted. Then I have to login again, insert the password to have my data resync. It takes several minutes until everything is back on track.

OS is Windows 8, CCleaner version is 4.03.4151 64bits. Maybe it's relevant to post my installed extensions:

AdBlock 2.6.2 
Chrome RDP 3.15.14 (currently disabled)
Comodo Share Page Service 0.1 
Comodo Web Inspector 0.2 
Foxtab Speed Dial 9.2 
Lazarus: Form Recovery 3.0.5 
MEGA - Secure Cloud Storage 1.4 
Photo Zoom for Facebook 1.1208.30.1 
PrivDog 1.1.0.72 
TabsPlus 8.8.5 
Vimium 1.43  

I like CCleaner a lot and don't want to stop using because of this conflict! How to settle this? :)

Hi darossa,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems cleaning your browser.

Can you please let me know the version of Comodo Dragon that you are using?

Thanks

Hi darossa,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems cleaning your browser.

Can you please let me know the version of Comodo Dragon that you are using?

Thanks

Oops, forgot to give that relevant info:

Version is 27.2.0.0. Strangely, in the 'about Comodo Dragon' page, I see the message "update cancelled by user" (sure I didn't!)

• Moderators

Version is 27.2.0.0. Strangely, in the 'about Comodo Dragon' page, I see the message "update cancelled by user" (sure I didn't!)

On Tuesday they released 28.0.4.0 (Stable).

Edited by Andavari

So, just updated and ran the test again. No luck. CCleaner has a conflict with Google Chrome. After scanning, Chrome took some seconds (which is odd) to load then displayed the message: "Could not read your preferences. Some features may not be available and changes in preferences won't be saved." And my settings got reset again.

I forgot to say that I always run the CCleaner scan followed by a registry errors check (inside CCleaner, of course). Is this relevant?

• Moderators

Could you try temporarily disabling all of the extensions you have, and then shutdown the browser and then start it again. If the problem immediately disappears doing that you could then enable one extension at a time and then shutdown the browser again and then start it again to find out if it's a particular extension causing the problem.

I forgot to say that I always run the CCleaner scan followed by a registry errors check (inside CCleaner, of course). Is this relevant?

Not just relevant but it could be a killer.

It is never a good idea to clean the registry with any utility whilst contending with an issue that you think is NOT affected by the registry.

If you really must clean the registry you are free to do so - BUT you should not at the same time also be cleaning junk files and then blaming junk file removal for problems.

Could you try temporarily disabling all of the extensions you have, and then shutdown the browser and then start it again. If the problem immediately disappears doing that you could then enable one extension at a time and then shutdown the browser again and then start it again to find out if it's a particular extension causing the problem.

There is something which doesn't make sense as far as I can tell, because it all happens outside the browser, when it's not running. After scanning with CCleaner, when I relaunch Dragon, then it's reset.

Not just relevant but it could be a killer.

It is never a good idea to clean the registry with any utility whilst contending with an issue that you think is NOT affected by the registry.

If you really must clean the registry you are free to do so - BUT you should not at the same time also be cleaning junk files and then blaming junk file removal for problems.

Noted. I'll Scan for errors less often now, and will perform a cleanup without checking for registry errors just to eliminate this suspect.

Hi darossa,

We haven't been able to reproduce the problem you mentioned.

Would you be able to PM me a copy of your Preferences file? It would be nice if you could send a copy of the before and after corruption so we can investigate.

How about these steps:

1 - Open and close Dragon, so we make sure Preferences is fine,

2 - make a copy of the Preferences file and store in another folder,

3 - run CCleaner to cause the corruption,

4 - make a copy of the Preferences file and store in another folder,

5 - Open Dragon and make sure Preferences was actually corrupted.

if not corrupted, please then start again, until you get a Preferences file that you know for sure that it is corrupted.

Many thanks

MrT

• Moderators

We haven't been able to reproduce the problem you mentioned.

Neither have I and Comodo Dragon has been my main browser for months now, and I have CCleaner clean more of it than CCleaner officially supports.

Hi again, sorry for the long time,

I downloaded CCleaner's latest version and reinstalled the most up-to-date versoin of Dragon too. Too bad I did it all before reading MrT's last post.

The parts in parenthesis below are other possible translations from pt-br to eng. After running CCleaner, this poped up:

"Could not read your preferences. Some features (or resources) might not be available and modifications in preferences won't be saved."

Then I closed and relaunched Dragon, logged in my Google account and typed in the sync password. Shortly after it started syncing, there was this message:

"OMG! There's been an error (maybe flaw) to Comodo Dragon. restart now?" Yes, then Dragon restarted and my settings were the way I wanted.

Then I closed Dragon and ran CCleaner again. This time I hit the wrong hotkey and ran in auto, silent mode. Is there a problem?

Finally I ran Dragon again.

The following are my settings ini file, before and after. Just removed the cookies, but I believe there was no change at all:

[Options]
Language=1046
(App)Chkdsk File Fragments=False
(App)Clipboard=False
(App)DNS Cache=False
(App)Desktop Shortcuts=False
(App)Empty Recycle Bin=False
(App)Font Cache=False
(App)Google Chrome - Download History=True
(App)Google Chrome - Session=False
(App)Memory Dumps=False
(App)Start Menu Shortcuts=False
(App)Temporary Files=False
(App)Windows Error Reporting=False
(App)Windows Log Files=False
BackupDir=E:\Backups
CookiesToSave=*.piriform.com|and my other cookies...
MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False
NewVersion=4.04.4197
SkipUAC=1
UpdateKey=07/25/2013 07:10:47 PM
WINDOW_HEIGHT=754
WINDOW_LEFT=379
WINDOW_MAX=0
WINDOW_TOP=104
WINDOW_WIDTH=1197
WipeFreeSpaceDrives=C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\

[Options]
Language=1046
(App)Chkdsk File Fragments=False
(App)Clipboard=False
(App)DNS Cache=False
(App)Desktop Shortcuts=False
(App)Empty Recycle Bin=False
(App)Font Cache=False
(App)Google Chrome - Download History=True
(App)Google Chrome - Session=False
(App)Memory Dumps=False
(App)Start Menu Shortcuts=False
(App)Temporary Files=False
(App)Windows Error Reporting=False
(App)Windows Log Files=False
BackupDir=E:\Backups
CookiesToSave=*.piriform.com|and my other cookies...
MSG_CONFIRMCLEAN=False
NewVersion=4.04.4197
SkipUAC=1
UpdateKey=07/25/2013 07:10:47 PM
WINDOW_HEIGHT=754
WINDOW_LEFT=379
WINDOW_MAX=0
WINDOW_TOP=104
WINDOW_WIDTH=1197
WipeFreeSpaceDrives=C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\

Hi darossa,

Sorry for not being clear in my previous instructions.

We need Comodo Dragon's Preferences file. It is named "Preferences" and located under Dragon's profile folder.

Normally here on W7:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default

Thanks