67 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE hazelnut

hazelnut

try to stay calm

• Moderators
  • 12,840 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

CCleaner....tools...startup.

You can take a screenshot of it and either add the jpg or png file to a post by pressing the ''More reply options'' button which appears at the bottom of a post when you are writing it.

Or go to an image hosting site, upload it to there and copy and paste the link to it that you are given for it into a post.
CCLEANER, RECUVA, DEFRAGGLER AND SPECCY DOCUMENTATION CAN BE FOUND HERE

http://www.piriform.com/docs

#42 OFFLINE raycer

raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

CCleaner....tools...startup.

You can take a screenshot of it and either add the jpg or png file to a post by pressing the ''More reply options'' button which appears at the bottom of a post when you are writing it.

Or go to an image hosting site, upload it to there and copy and paste the link to it that you are given for it into a post.

Attached Files

#43 OFFLINE raycer

raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Having one bad task running, and optimizing and removing others in effort to regain former performance usually doesn't work. You still need to fix the original cancer.

Try looking through Process Monitor - from the same guys that did AutoRuns. A realtime view I really like.

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the program but it needs a lot of study and application and I don't have the time for the long learning curve it obviously entails.

#44 OFFLINE raycer

raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

but decided it was not worth the effort so I uninstalled the Dropbox application.

I don't have this option - I've got to have Dropbox to communicate with other members of the group I belong to.

#45 Guest_Keatah_*

Guest_Keatah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I see 3 security programs that could potentially conflict with each other. Whether that is actually happening here, I do not know.

#46 OFFLINE Andavari

Andavari

• Moderators
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Also look into this, a known culprit:
http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=38431

Piriform software help documentation is available at: http://www.piriform.com/docs

Don't PM me for advice! I'll only ask you to read forum rule #15.

#47 Guest_Keatah_*

Guest_Keatah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

What aspect of the system is running slow? Slow disk access? Slow FPS in games? Sluggish mouse & keyboard? Which application has slowed significantly? All? Something specific?

#48 ONLINE hazelnut

hazelnut

try to stay calm

• Moderators
  • 12,840 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

What aspect of the system is running slow? Slow disk access? Slow FPS in games? Sluggish mouse & keyboard? Which application has slowed significantly? All? Something specific?

http://forum.pirifor...10
CCLEANER, RECUVA, DEFRAGGLER AND SPECCY DOCUMENTATION CAN BE FOUND HERE

http://www.piriform.com/docs

#49 Guest_Keatah_*

Guest_Keatah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

So then we need to focus on disk activity. Kill the security programs one by one.

#50 OFFLINE raycer

raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

I see 3 security programs that could potentially conflict with each other. Whether that is actually happening here, I do not know.

As I mentioned in post 20, I've had these 3 security programs installed in my PC for several years without any problem with slow running before.

#51 OFFLINE raycer

raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

I don't play games so I can't say about that. Mouse and keyboard are fine. Problem is with opening all programs, applications, files, documents, Firefox, Outlook Express etc.

#52 OFFLINE Alan_B

Alan_B

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

As I mentioned in post 20, I've had these 3 security programs installed in my PC for several years without any problem with slow running before.

This indicates your security is not the cause - ASSUMING that you have not updated your security and your A.V. signatures.
But then of course all sorts of nasties can climb on-board if security is not up to date.

Sometimes an A.V. signature update can go horribly wrong a kill performance or even delete system files.

#53 OFFLINE DennisD

DennisD

• Moderators
  • 10,029 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Looking at your startup items image above, I can see one of the causes of inexplicable slowdown in computers ...

CTFMON.exe.

It caused constant problems for me a long time back with my XP machine, and it's a service most users don't need running. You'll only need it if this applies to you ...

Ctfmon is the Microsoft process that controls Alternative User Input and the Office Language bar. It’s how you can control the computer via speech or a pen tablet, or using the onscreen keyboard inputs for asian languages.

Unfortunately it isn't s simple process of disabling it from startup, as it will simply return the next time you start your computer.

Have a read here ...

http://www.pchell.co...rt/ctfmon.shtml

Of course you can always start it again if you ever need it.

I also have recollections of Spybot's "TeaTimer.exe" causing slowdowns. I would disable TeaTimer for a while to see if it may make a difference ...

The TeaTimer monitors processes running on your computer and disables them if they are malicious. While this can provide some machines with extra protection, it is also a large drain on system resources. If your machine is lagging, disabling TeaTimer is a quick way to free up system memory. You can do so by tailoring Spybot's options.

http://www.ehow.com/...eatimerexe.html

Worth a try if you haven't already done so.

#54 OFFLINE Andavari

Andavari

• Moderators
  • 16,540 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Looking at your startup items image above, I can see one of the causes of inexplicable slowdown in computers ...

CTFMON.exe.

It caused constant problems for me a long time back with my XP machine, and it's a service most users don't need running. You'll only need it if this applies to you ...

Good spot, because CTFMON.exe can bring XP to a crawl.

Piriform software help documentation is available at: http://www.piriform.com/docs

Don't PM me for advice! I'll only ask you to read forum rule #15.

#55 Guest_Keatah_*

Guest_Keatah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

I fully understand you had these three security applications installed and functional before. CCleaner used to reset MSE (by deleting a log), and that caused it to do a full scan all over again. Just say'n.. It's just something I'd look at for about a minute or two if I was hands-on over there. In fact, it would be 1 of probably 300 things I'd check within the hour I typically allot myself when repairing recalcitrant systems.

It may be that you need a live technician to do a hands on inspection. Many times something that is missed in conversation through message boards shows up instantly to an in-person tech inspection.

At this point we don't have solid confirmation of what is happening at boot time. No trace logs have been run. We don't know the raw transfer rate of the disk. We don't know if the CPU is throttling itself for some reason, thermal or otherwise. Plenty of unknowns to explore. Could even be a drive getting hung up on a marginal sector. Maybe there's bad hardware. Maybe a bad port. Who's to say what's what without continued examination?

Could be a BIOS setting. Though CCleaner doesn't change settings there. But it's something I'd be looking over if I was repairing a system.

Lots of possibilities to explore.

#56 OFFLINE raycer

raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:35 AM

This indicates your security is not the cause - ASSUMING that you have not updated your security and your A.V. signatures.
But then of course all sorts of nasties can climb on-board if security is not up to date.

Sometimes an A.V. signature update can go horribly wrong a kill performance or even delete system files.

All updated regularly

#57 OFFLINE raycer

raycer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

I fully understand you had these three security applications installed and functional before. CCleaner used to reset MSE (by deleting a log), and that caused it to do a full scan all over again. Just say'n.. It's just something I'd look at for about a minute or two if I was hands-on over there. In fact, it would be 1 of probably 300 things I'd check within the hour I typically allot myself when repairing recalcitrant systems.

It may be that you need a live technician to do a hands on inspection. Many times something that is missed in conversation through message boards shows up instantly to an in-person tech inspection.

At this point we don't have solid confirmation of what is happening at boot time. No trace logs have been run. We don't know the raw transfer rate of the disk. We don't know if the CPU is throttling itself for some reason, thermal or otherwise. Plenty of unknowns to explore. Could even be a drive getting hung up on a marginal sector. Maybe there's bad hardware. Maybe a bad port. Who's to say what's what without continued examination?

Could be a BIOS setting. Though CCleaner doesn't change settings there. But it's something I'd be looking over if I was repairing a system.

Lots of possibilities to explore.

I get the feeling this is a major task - beyond my capabilities. Thanks for all the responses. I've never had so many from a forum before.

#58 OFFLINE Alan_B

Alan_B

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

I don't have this option - I've got to have Dropbox to communicate with other members of the group I belong to.

This morning I thought of you and your group as I read this :-
http://www.techrepub...er-malware/9332
DropSmack: Using Dropbox to steal files and deliver malware

#59 OFFLINE login123

login123

ISO-later

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

By the way, have you checked for malware, as Hazelnut suggested in post 8?

Anyway, Raycer, before you spend money. . .
I had same thing on win xp, sloooowed down & stayed slow. System fast, win xp slow.
There is a topic about it on the Sandboxie forum. http://www.sandboxie...opic.php?t=8605

None of the usual remedies helped. I learned things you might be interested in.
- Spybot S&D was slowing me down a lot, and the tea timer was the main culprit.
- Spybot S&D itself changed over the years, even though I didn't reinstall it. Got slower, imho.
- over the years, I had installed many security apps, then uninstalled them later.
- There is some sort of cumulative effect from installing all that stuff.
- Don't understand why, but uninstalling old apps didn't help (after the slowdown started).
- Some of our members probably know why uninstalling doesn't help. It won't hurt my feelings if they explain.

I got the system back up, but it was still slow, so I finally just reinstalled win xp from the oem disks. It came out much faster, and still is. Thats a pain in the neck, waiting for all the updates, but worth it, imho.
My security setup now, on win xp, is this:
Avast! antivirus, Outpost firewall, SpywareBlaster, and MBAM on demand.
Plus, I use a virtualizer app when on the net. I use Powershadow, DennisD uses Returnil, both work well at protecting your system from changes, but both require a bit of getting used to.
Plus, I use a system backup app. There are good free ones, Macrium, for one.
The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)
Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

#60 Guest_Keatah_*

Guest_Keatah_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Has this computer been tested running without any security software yet?