cbsprovider.dll

nviable

I'm running ccleaner and it has been getting stuck at cbsprovider.dll (21%).

ccleaner crashes if I try to close it and the taskbar becomes unresponsive, I can't open any programs, not even the task manager so I have to manually shut down the laptop and start up again.

This has happened several times.

Any ideas what is wrong?

• Moderators

Can you give more info such as what your operating system and service pack is.

Also which build of ccleaner are you using?

cbsprovider.dll is usually a hidden Microsoft system file although other applications can use it.

Have you installed a new program recently?

Are all your virus scans up to date and clean?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Can you give more info such as what your operating system and service pack is.

Also which build of ccleaner are you using?

cbsprovider.dll is usually a hidden Microsoft system file although other applications can use it.

Have you installed a new program recently?

Are all your virus scans up to date and clean?

Win 7 SP1 - latest updatesm etc.

Latest program installed is bitdefender - and that is all up to date.

The ccleaner build is: v3.26.1888

• Moderators

where is this file located that it is choking on?

if you don't know:

Please run ccleaner in debug mode http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=37347

and attach the log to this thread

alternately you can uncheck everything and one-by-one check and clean each item you normally clean

are you running any includes (via the options in ccleaner)? Winapp2.ini file? Or an enhancer program?

also try this: in windows explorer change folder view options to show system and hidden files; then open recycle bin; do you see the CBS file? Don't do anything yet with it but do you see it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I have 64 bit Windows 7 Ulimate + SP1 holding 4 instances of that file in System32, SysWow64, and WinSxs

I would have thought that these were system files that CCleaner has no business removing,

alternatively I guess that the O.P. has malware lurking in a temp/junk folder that is masquerading as cbsprovider.dll,

in which case you need something other than CCleaner.

If you temporarily disable Bit Defender and then try a clean what happens?

(remember to re-enable BD afterwards)

You have re-booted your machine recently haven't you?

I will try that. When I ran ccleaner to get the info I previously posted, ccleaner crashed and I couldn't open the task manager let alone click on the shut down icon. Everything became unresponsive. So I had to force shut down and reboot. This happens every time.

EDIT: I disabled bitdefender and ran ccleaner but I ran into the same problem yet again. It crashed, the system was unresponsive, if it's relevant: the gadgets that I have running (CPU+RAM/network monitors/intel cpu monitor) were still operating, but I couldn't open any programs, nor could I shut down so I had to reboot but holding down the power button.

Also, I've tried to run ccleaner in debug mode and followed the aforementioned link but I still cannot get a log file out of it.

Deselecting "Temporary Files" under the "System" subheading in the "Windows" category gets around the problem. But I would still like to know why exactly this is happening and what the cause of this is since the temporary files is something that needs to be cleaned up.

Thank you all for your replies on this matter, much appreciated.

A quick fix is to use CCleaner | Options | Exclude

There you can stipulate that this particular file be excluded from deletion.

If this was my computer I would NOT be comfortable until I determined that this file was not malware.

It has a legitimate purpose in the various system folders.

When I search for CbsProvider.dll on the Internet I find results such as

Solution: Boot images may be missing or unable to be imported ...

17 Jun 2010... Provider Store: PID=14568 Failed to Load the provider: C:\Windows\TEMP\ 3CE573A0-8E9B-4337-A1F1-4AF0E74A5E5F\CbsProvider.dll.

and

Windows 8 DISM Script Attached! Issue with Clean-Image after Servi ...

... to the provider located at Z:\WIN8TOOLS\DISM\FolderProvider.dll. .... \Local\ Temp\D6CD82AD-9809-45DA-9C25-BA6CF5154DE8\CbsProvider.dll ...... with plus be microsoft, google, web, spyware server the very so now.

This suggests to me that for some reason the DISM image software may copy CbsProvider.dll from the system32 etc folder into a fancy multi-digit TEMP folder,

and my guess is that once it has done its job then a clean-up operation should have deleted the copy.

Personally I would not delete it in-case I broke something,

unless on-line malware scanners issued a guilty verdict

( I have no authority to advise further on malware.)

• Moderators

To clear up any possibility of malware being present perhaps go to one of the sites mentioned here and get your machine checked out.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=34786

If you are then happy that you are indeed 'clean' then you can either exclude that file in ccleaner, or use Windows build in cleanup to do it

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

DO NOT give malware advice Super Fast. I have edited out what you said.

Suggesting the tool that you did could have bad consequences if the user is not helped by an authorised malware removal expert.

Please see your pm's

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

hopefully i'm not about to fall into the same Superfast trap (pre-emptive 'sorry' to hazelnut if so) but...

since this cbsprovider file is in a \Temp\, doesn't the old general truth "if it lives in a Temp folder, it can be deleted" apply ?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

have we used unlocker http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker to see what's locking the file?

however I'm apt to agree with Hazelnut that you should seek aid at one of those links

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators
"if it lives in a Temp folder, it can be deleted"

If it wasn't for Alans post #9 I'd probably be inclined to agree with the sentiment.

And if it was our own computer we might take the risk, but with someone else's, best play safe and follow hazels advice in the post after Alan's.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

There is a new problem, same response and everything, but this time the problem arises whilst ccleaner is trying to clean out the recycle bin. Any ideas? This can't just be isolated to that particular file in the temp folder now, can it?

• Moderators

re debug the log occurs when you crash ccleaner it should be in the ccleaner application folder

Go now first thing though and get the Malware angle checked out if you've not yet done so.

Edited by Nergal

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

we aren't suggesting you scan your laptop with a virus scanner, we've asked you to go get professional malware help before we continue, have you done this and come up clean to their standards.

we aren't suggesting you scan your laptop with a virus scanner, we've asked you to go get professional malware help before we continue, have you done this and come up clean to their standards.

I was aware, thank you. There are no issues with this. I am not sure what is happening. From what I've seen, some other users are experiencing crashing with ccleaner as well... I just checked and I do have the latest ccleaner version as well...

• 3 months later...

Please READ

I am facing the same issue here. I am using windows 7 professional, service pack 1, 64-bit with Bitdefender anti-virus and I am using the latest version of CCleaner

I am quite sure the issue is not with the anti-virus or the cbsProvder.dll file, nor CCleaner.

CbsProvider.dll is not a malware if not infected. The CbsProvider.dll process is safe and disabling it can be dangerous, because programs on your computer need it to work correctly.

If you delete the file it may be disasterous to your system. But why is it listed as a "Temp" file, I don`t know.

C:\User\AppData\Local\Temp\3BO88168-989B-4DB1-8FE4-18030B9 4BF3\CbsProvider.dll

This file up here, was the file that CCleaner tried to erase but crashed and I couldln`t open any file from my desktop and not even shutdown my computer.

Some anti-virus also stoped responding when they come across similar files as the one above like Panda Security and even Avast.

Please Help!

The only thing I could do is just uncheck the "temporary files" select box under system and it will be ok but, after a long time the Temp files may begin to stack up and that`s not what I want to see.

Have you read and understood and applied the solution that appears in the first two lines of my post #9 ?

If not then please try it and advise whether that works for you.

I have 64 bit Windows 7 + SP1

but I have no such file in any temporary location

I too have CbsProvider.dll

BUT THEY are held in a sensible place, such as

C:\Winsxs\

and with some sort of magic reparse points they also appear to be at :-

C:\Windows\System32\Dism\

744 KB (762,368 bytes)

Created ‎21 ‎November ‎2010, ‏‎03:24:22

Modified 21 ‎November ‎2010, ‏‎03:24:22

Accessed ‎12 ‎April ‎2011, ‏‎09:32:08

and

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Dism\

528 KB (541,184 bytes)

Created ‎21 ‎November ‎2010, ‏‎03:23:48

Modified ‎21 ‎November ‎2010, ‏‎03:23:48

Accessed ‎21 ‎November ‎2010, ‏‎03:23:48

It is obvious that the above files were created by Microsoft as system files in 2010,

and only the 64 bit variant was accessed on the date when Windows was installed on my SSD.

Therefore the file you are concerned with is not a Windows file, it is an A.V. vendor file placed in a stupid place in the foolish hope that malware will not know where to find it.

I am pleased to say that I use protection which protects its essential files so that CCleaner is not able to damage its operation.

What size is the file you are concerned about, and what are the date stamps shown in its properties ?

This topic was started by a Bitdefender user.

It is unfortunate for the user that when the user makes legitimate use of the right to purge his Temporary files then Bitdefender kills the computer

This right has existed since there was DOS - many years before Windows.

If Bitdefender cannot protect its files from the user then it has no hope when malware comes knocking at the door.

• 10 months later...

This is a Bitdefender issue when ccleaner is set to "secure file deletion" and is easy to fix, just add the ccleaner executable (program files\ccleaner\ccleaner64.exe) into the bitdefender antivirus "excluded files and folders" and "excluded processes" lists.

Here's detailed instructions on adding files to the excluded lists.

http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?showtopic=35502