Changing 7000+ shortcut icons all at once? Possible?

Guest Keatah

I need a program to change shortcut icons, thousands of them.

I've got a folder full of about 7,000 shortcuts, and I want to change the icons on all of them! I've already got the .ico bitmap image ready, but I certainly don't want to sit here and do 7000 manual "change icon" operations. Of course, each of these shortcuts is going to have the same .ico file.

There has to be some sort of freeware program out there that will let me do this batch style?

• Moderators

I don't have an answer for you Keatah, but your Operating System may help as any fix may be different depending on what you're running.

EDIT: Just offhand, the nearest I can think of to mass change an icon is TweakUI, which is compatible with Operating Systems from XP to win7, both X86 and X64 ...

System requirements of TweakUI:

OS Windows 7/VISTA/XP/2k/2k3/2k8 x86 x64

Minimum screen resolution 1024x768

CPU: Pentium processor and above

RAM: 128 Mb RAM

HDD: 5 Mb free disk space

Download size: 1.4M

It's free of course, but maybe goes a step too far to what you want.

You need to specify the desired change.

A very simple BAT script command could replace every *.ico file to be a copy of one special Keatah.ico file.

Something like AutoIt might be trained to merge features of your Keatah.ico file into each of the 7000 off *.ico files.

• Moderators

EDIT: Just offhand, the nearest I can think of to mass change an icon is TweakUI, which is compatible with Operating Systems from XP to win7, both X86 and X64 ...

That will only change the overlay icon on shortcuts, it's the little arrow that shows on them which I turn off.

------------------------

7000 shortcuts, you and SuperFast should get together at a pub over a pint, and brag about your level of shortcuts and browser tabs. :lol:

I've never heard of any program capable of changing them. TweakUI as DennisD mentioned can refresh the icon cache after you've changed them.

• Moderators

That will only change the overlay icon on shortcuts, it's the little arrow that shows on them which I turn off.

You're correct of course. Never having used that feature I was thinking it changed the icon.

There are a couple of different overlays you can apply/remove besides the arrow, but change the icon it doesn't.

You live and learn.

Welp.. I found a solution late last night. 1st I opened the file folder containing all the shortcuts. Then I put it in LIST view style. Then I turned on my mouse/keyboard recorder and changed one shortcut manually using the keyboard. Advanced to the next shortcut. Stopped the recorder at that point.

<alt> F R [[opened the properties window]]

<alt> C <ctrl> V <return> [[pasted the path & location of the new icon image file]]

<return> [[closed the properties window]]

<down arrow key> [[advance to the next file]]

I set the recoder to play that back 7000 times, and down the list it went. It changed all the shortcut icons with great dispatch! Much faster than me doing it manually.

• Moderators

now that it's solved I'm forced to ask…what the heck 7000 shortcuts to what pray tell

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Digital elevation models, .DEM files, from various solar system bodies. 7,000 files is nothing. The amount of data being returned from planetary science craft and astronomical observations is astounding. 100's of terrabytes is an appropriate yardstick.