Amount removed by Cleaner

grits2

• Moderators

Two Possible Causes

• Temp files are being created between the analysis and the time that the cleaner finishes with the section they are cleaned in.
  • CCleaner's Analysis is a Rough estimate (maybe, at a guess, based on "size" blue pen) while the clean is an exact amount of space freed (maybe based on "size on disc" red pen )

post-21882-0-82039300-1335480353_thumb.jpg

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Actually, Nergal, I always thought that the blue pen = the actual size of the file, while the red = the disk space taken up by that file.

For instance, if you have two sectors at 512 KB & that = 1,024 KB (1 MB), then if you copy a file that = 1,500 KB, then it will take up yet another 512 KB sector & = 1,536 used because of not placing another file at the end.

I am not 100% sure if this is correct, however, so I could be wrong.

Sorry Speedfast, I think you may be a bit off here.

Our moderator has shown us a file with contents that are only 10.1 KB, but the system only provides space in 4 KB chunks so the size taken from the disk is 12 KB

Size on disk can also be less than file size if Windows has compressed it.

Sorry Nergal but I cannot resist a tut tut - you keep files instead of links on your desktop :o

Back on Topic

I hate Flash so much that I include the root of all evil in my INCLUDE.

I also use Winapp2.ini which hits some of the FLASH that I hate.

Analyze adds up the sum total of Flash targeted by both Winapp2.ini and INCLUDE.

Results only sees the actual deletion so that is a smaller amount.

Also, sometimes after a Clean I analyze again, and extra items may be present which were absent 10 seconds earlier.

If only they had been available 5 seconds earlier then Analyze would still have not seen them,

but Clean would have found and zapped them.

I think Thumbnail Caches is one of these things.

• Moderators

SF, in the vast majority of cases a disk sector is 512 bytes, not 512 k, and the default unit of data allocation is 8 sectors, a cluster of 4k. Which is why Nergal's file is allocated as a multiple of 4k. (Very new disks may have larger sector and cluster sizes).

I would think that CC's total removed is the allocation size, as that is what is actually freed. I have never noticed any difference myself between the analysis and the removed size.

Why do some see a difference? I don't really know, maybe the clean process digs a little deeper than the analysis, or maybe Nergal is correct. It is curious, but not, I think, a worry.

• Moderators
Sorry Nergal but I cannot resist a tut tut - you keep files instead of links on your desktop :o

rarely and only ones I need quick access to and plan to delete soon (i.e. a temporary spreadsheet listing Mp3s without album art)

Please everyone don't going running off with my postulation, that's all that it ever was.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com