Issue with CCleaner's MS Search entry!

SMalik

I have tried this on a Windows 7 32-bit system.

Whenever I ran CCleaner with 'MS Search' entry enabled, Index (Search engine) got corrupted.

Most of the Index files are locked. The safe way to remove the Index files is to wipe at system reboot and CCleaner doesn't have that option. I am listing the Application log below.

The application cannot be initialized.

Details:

The registry value cannot be read because the configuration is invalid. Recreate the content index configuration by removing the content index. (HRESULT : 0x80040d03) (0x80040d03)

• Moderators

This is exactly what is removed by MS Search Entry

[MS Search]
ID=2266
LangSecRef=3025
DetectFile=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Search
Default=True
FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Search|*.log|RECURSE
FileKey2=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Search|*.jrs|RECURSE

I wonder if the jrs files are needed (I don't use this selection so I can't test right now but maybe other will chime in)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Try As I Might I cannot recreate this problem in Win7 32. Not only did I get none of those errors but I didn't even have any slow down in search seeking anything (including a phrase in a text file)

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

OK. Type index into the Windows 7 search box and select Indexing Options. Note the number of entries reported. If you have multiple drives - add them as this will build a considerable number of entries. Mine is 273,462 with a number of drives added. The default set is smaller. Allow some time at idle for the index to be built up. Disks will spin!

Select MS search in CCleaner. Run it and then reboot.

Once up, type index into the search box again and after the delayed time period has elapsed you will see that the index has been broken and is rebuilding from scratch.

Look in the event viewer and note all the errors about files being corrupt at the time of boot.

(corrupt indexes and logfiles, ESENT errors and JET database errors)

After I de-selected this MS Search option I have had no re-occurences of this issue. CCleaner is definitely breaking an important function of Windows, causing unnecessary disk thrashing.

I have just done an analyse test on MS Search and it looks like the files will still be 'cleaned'

Untitledpicture-13.png

• Moderators

mine after clean and reboot

1) returns to >256,000 files pretty quickly.

2) I have no new errors for Search in my Application

Also, Yes even unchecked if you right click an items and tell it to Analyze or clean it will still analyze or clean this is by design; this way a user can clean a single item without making it a true in their settings, ie for "one-time" cleans .

The point is that it shouldn't really 'return' to >256,000 files. That means that it's being reset. Look in the event log under Administrative Events.

There is cleaning and there is interfering with a critical Windows function. I believe CCeaner is doing the latter.

I must be missing something here... I see what both of you are saying, but... First, by checking the 'MS Search' box, we've told CCleaner to clean the search index and database, and if it's gone, empty (or invalid), Windows will need to rebuild it. But second, if CCleaner 'clean's the search index and/or database files in a way which causes system event "Errors", then perhaps how it's 'cleaning' needs to be revisited. Replacing those files with default 'empty' versions might be a better method. Or anything else which simply makes Windows do a total rebuild...

• Moderators
Look in the event log under Administrative Events

I don't have an Administrative Events log, if you mean the filter all that is, is a saved filter and gives me no more (in fact less) log events, and none of the ones given are from search.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying you are wrong nor that this entry is not causing these, or any, problems; i've only stated I cannot recreate the issue you are having.

The Developers read all threads, though rarely comment, so they may be able to recreate this in the Lab.

From memory, they weren't specifically 'search' errors, they were a cluster of errors (corrupt indexes and logfiles, ESENT errors and JET database errors) which were recorded every time it happened. The message was that the index had been 'corrupted' and was being re-built and upon inspection, the Indexer, which had been complete and populated was now building from scratch again.

I didn't happen every time as some files may have been in use when CCleaner was run but it was these files that can be 'analyzed' that had been corrupted (actually deleted!)

:-)

• Moderators

From memory, they weren't specifically 'search' errors, they were a cluster of errors (corrupt indexes and logfiles, ESENT errors and JET database errors) which were recorded

my use of a filter for "search" as the source was based on the image provided by the second poster, erwin_mi, if this filter needs to be changed please provide me with a like image and I'll check again

I remember more the article pointed to in the linked url

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/e286be80-ed7e-4026-b6b7-d512ff642db5

I experienced exactly those symptoms. The search errors I may not have experienced in the same way. The article though is specifically what I saw before I switched the MS Search option off in CCleaner.

:-)