Willy2

Are the visitors from this website aware that the guy from CLEANMEM has started a new website called TWEAKING.com ?

http://www.tweaking.com

I helped him get rid of the bugs in and develop the interface of the program called ""Windows Repair"". If the more tech savvy moderators/visitors of the Piriform forum have more suggestions to improve the program then they are welcome to do so. (Aethec ?? Hazelnut ?? Alan_B ??, .... ??)

I had to keep it under wraps for a while but now the website is up and running. Check it out.

Edited by Willy2

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I was the Beta tester and came up with suggestions for this program (especially the GUI). As the name of the program suggests, it fixes/can fix a number of Windows issues. One can also download from this website programs that can fix one particular Windows issue but then the user has to have a VERY good knowledge of what's ""broken"" in Windows.

I used it already twice to fix one particular issue. I received twice a weblink in an email. But when I clicked on the link Windows XP didn't respond the way it should (i.e. open a particular web-site/page). I knew there was some ""secret formula"" to fix this problem. But Windows Repair makes it much more easier to do this. Again: check it out !!

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Shane (http://www.tweaking.com, PcWinTech, Cleanmem) has asked me in an email to put a message on this forum. He would very much appreciate it when visitors of this forum would go to the website (www.tweaking.com), download the Window Repair (tomorrow version v1.4.1 will be released) and test it on their computer. And report back their experiences to Shane. Especially computer users with Vista and Win7 are encouraged to test the program. I still use XP and therefore I can't help Shane too much.

Some of these "fixes" look weird.

Reset File Permissions: "The repair will grant administrators, system, users and everyone full rights to every file on the C: drive."

WTF? The whole point of Vista/7's strict rights are to avoid getting in this situation ; the only account which should have all these permissions is TrustedInstaller. Otherwise, a virus infecting one user can do anything it wants without having admin rights.

Unhide non system files: "This repair will unhide every file on the system that is not a system file."

This one should get a big red mention "don't ever do that unless you are really, really sure it's gonna help you".

Piriform French translator

The only suggestion I can make on this APP is to work on the Setup. I don't like any app that just runs and leaves traces behind when closing....though this extracted within the same folder as the Archive.exe resided. If he wants it left on the HDD, maybe prompt/suggest an installation location and create shortcuts for the program on the Desktop.

25qd6wl.jpg

Some of these "fixes" look weird.

Reset File Permissions: "The repair will grant administrators, system, users and everyone full rights to every file on the C: drive."

WTF? The whole point of Vista/7's strict rights are to avoid getting in this situation ; the only account which should have all these permissions is TrustedInstaller. Otherwise, a virus infecting one user can do anything it wants without having admin rights.

Unhide non system files: "This repair will unhide every file on the system that is not a system file."

This one should get a big red mention "don't ever do that unless you are really, really sure it's gonna help you".

Viruses still get on the system anyway and things get broken all the time. I clean viruses off customers machines almost daily. When file permissions get screwed up you cant install updates, programs crash and other things happen as well. Had a user who couldn't get a service pack installed. It was because of file permissions. After this repair was ran the service pack is installed. Also a lot of viruses out there mess up the file and reg permissions. The goal of these repairs is to get the system working again after the permissions have been screwed.

The unhide system files I made because of a virus that is out there the marks every single file on the drive as hidden. After seeing it on a few of my customers machines I wanted a way to unhide them again but still leave the system files hidden like they normally are. So that is this repair.

The only suggestion I can make on this APP is to work on the Setup. I don't like any app that just runs and leaves traces behind when closing....though this extracted within the same folder as the Archive.exe resided. If he wants it left on the HDD, maybe prompt/suggest an installation location and create shortcuts for the program on the Desktop.

The program shouldn't leave ANY trace on the system. It is a portable tool. It is a self extracting exe which after words you can just delete when your done with it. Since it is a tool you would only need when something is broken I didnt think a setup was needed. Most of the techs who use it just keep the extracted folder on a thumb drive :-)

The program is still young and needs to grow.

My goal is to have a repair tool that can save someone from having to do a reinstall.

To help those people who can't afford a computer tech, and of course to help my fellow techs out there.

Just had a user post on the facebook page for tweaking.com how the tool fixed his problems.

So feedback is always welcome. Just like my other programs it can only get better thanks to the users :-)

Shane

(About Shane)
Girlfriend & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.
When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: SirSoft.io & Former Owner and Programmer of Tweaking.com

Viruses still get on the system anyway and things get broken all the time. I clean viruses off customers machines almost daily. When file permissions get screwed up you cant install updates, programs crash and other things happen as well. Had a user who couldn't get a service pack installed. It was because of file permissions. After this repair was ran the service pack is installed. Also a lot of viruses out there mess up the file and reg permissions. The goal of these repairs is to get the system working again after the permissions have been screwed.

The unhide system files I made because of a virus that is out there the marks every single file on the drive as hidden. After seeing it on a few of my customers machines I wanted a way to unhide them again but still leave the system files hidden like they normally are. So that is this repair.

I understand. But these kind of fixes need big red warnings. Remember, if it becomes popular you'll have people trying to "fix" their computers by checking every checkbox, ruining their computer in the process.

PS: Any idea how to fix a non-working Task Scheduler that says it can't find tasks (this: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/a9e485d3-06ba-4038-a9b8-1b58e73ea4dd except I don't want to delete every single task, because that makes the Task Scheduler useless)? If you do that, I'll build an altar in your honor.

Shane are you saying that the unhide system files 'fix' that you made is different to the unhide.exe made by Grinler?

I am not sure. What mine does is as it loops through all the files any file marked as system is skipped. And all others are unhid. I did this because other wise system files, like desktop.ini whould start showing up. Didnt want home users messing with the system files. :-)

(About Shane)

I understand. But these kind of fixes need big red warnings. Remember, if it becomes popular you'll have people trying to "fix" their computers by checking every checkbox, ruining their computer in the process.

PS: Any idea how to fix a non-working Task Scheduler that says it can't find tasks (this: http://social.techne...b8-1b58e73ea4dd except I don't want to delete every single task, because that makes the Task Scheduler useless)? If you do that, I'll build an altar in your honor.

"if it becomes popular you'll have people trying to "fix" their computers by checking every checkbox, ruining their computer in the process"

You right on that one. So far every non tech user I have seen use it runs every single repair. I dont think they even read what the repairs do lol

Thats why I have the basic, advanced and custom. In basic I dont have the permissions even selected. SO far everyone just keeps choosing custom and doing them all.

ON the task scheduler, are you able to start the task scheduler service by any chance?

Shane

(About Shane)

What do you guys think about having the unhide non system files be separate from the program?

I made that repair with that one virus in mind where it hides everything.

I have users running every single repair. Now normally and so far unhideing files isn't a problem, since most non system files are not hidden.

But just like this person I just helped

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,18.0.html

There was a hidden file in their startup folder. And since it because unhidden it started showing up at startup, and of course my program got blamed for it being there.

Since the unhide files is meant for those extreme cases do you think it should be an exe by itself or left int he repair program?

Thoughts?

Shane

(About Shane)

How about protecting users from their own stupidity by only launching any tool upon clicking the correct answer to a multi-choice question relevant to the tool :rolleyes:

To stop them cheating you could keep the correct answers in a database on your server,

and a list of the worst incorrect answers would give us all a laugh at Christmas :D

How about protecting users from their own stupidity by only launching any tool upon clicking the correct answer to a multi-choice question relevant to the tool :rolleyes:

To stop them cheating you could keep the correct answers in a database on your server,

and a list of the worst incorrect answers would give us all a laugh at Christmas :D

LOL dont think that will work.

I have a few computer shpos and some other fellow techs who use the program when fixing computers. Tech seems to get the best results of the program because they understand it better.

Non tech people use it trying to fix something the program doesnt cover, or who knows what and just run everything. And when their problem isnt fixed they dont both contacting me they just give the program a 1 star on some of the sites.

The nature of the beats I guess. But as the program grows I will have it cover more and more things.

Next repair I am working on is a repair to put all the Microsoft services back to their default startup (For those people who messed them up) Also going to be looking into the reg key info for the services. Once I have that layed out being able to put the services reg info back into the registry can fix broken or delete services. That will be fun to test :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

@Shane: perhaps you could create two groups of tasks. One group that is specificly dedicated to repairing/restoring the WMI, Firewall, file permissions etc. to their old/standard/default state and the other group containing miscellaneous tasks like unhiding files, clean (the) temp folder(s). Perhaps the difference is a bit artificial. It's just a thought.

@Shane: perhaps you could create two groups of tasks. One group that is specificly dedicated to repairing/restoring the WMI, Firewall, file permissions etc. to their old/standard/default state and the other group containing miscellaneous tasks like unhiding files, clean (the) temp folder(s). Perhaps the difference is a bit artificial. It's just a thought.

I already have 3 sections before you start the repairs :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Aethec does this apply to you?

http://support.micro....com/kb/2535270

Thanks, but no. My problem was the one caused by CCleaner on Win7 x64 some time ago, using one of the advanced options. A guy from MS gave a solution to fix it - delete every scheduled task. Not really an option :/

Thanks, but no. My problem was the one caused by CCleaner on Win7 x64 some time ago, using one of the advanced options. A guy from MS gave a solution to fix it - delete every scheduled task. Not really an option :/

Try exporting them out first and then import them back in once you know it is fixed and working :-)

This way you wont lose your scheduled tasks but you will be having windows recreate them by the import.

http://technet.micro...y/cc709661.aspx

Shane

(About Shane)

Going through all the default startup settings for all the services in windows on blackvipers website.

Going to make a repair that will set all of windows services to their default startup state (For those users or viruses that mess with them and disable or change them)

Think this will be a helpful repair? (Mainly for non tech users I am sure)

Shane

(About Shane)

Two months ago a friend brought me a sluggish Vista Laptop.

About 10 different mobile phone networks had got start-ups in force for instant WiFi any hot spot :o

There were nearly 80 processes running, mostly Start-up Automatic.

I used Blackviper and cut the burden down to 50 running.

If only you had this tool available then.

Yes, it will be very helpful.

Two months ago a friend brought me a sluggish Vista Laptop.

About 10 different mobile phone networks had got start-ups in force for instant WiFi any hot spot :o

There were nearly 80 processes running, mostly Start-up Automatic.

I used Blackviper and cut the burden down to 50 running.

If only you had this tool available then.

Yes, it will be very helpful.

Keep in mind the repair will only change and set windows services to their default startup state. It isn't going to mess with any other services, that would be far to dangerous :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

True.

I either disabled or set to Manual many of those "redundant" services after consulting Black Viper,

But there were far to many services that were not labelled "Microsoft" and all I had to guide me was a gut feeling.

The Windows tweaker in me didn't like the idea of a repair to set the MS services back to startup defaults, because I tweak mine out and was worried how other tweakers would be about it.

But the repair request came from a service tech who uses the program and when I has some other techs who fix computers they love the repair ideas.

What do you guys think?

Shane

(About Shane)