Does anyone just... sit and watch Defraggler defrag?

Huskehn

• Moderators

The last time I sat and watched a defrag tool was back on Win98 since it could stop and complain for stupid reasons, then need another ScanDisk ran for no obvious reason. Now via a batch script my defrag tool runs, and then have the computer automatically shut off, or log off.

• Moderators

Do you remember the error you got with 98, something to with the defrag never completing but just restarting over and over, then after restarting 10 times it would ask if you wanted to restart the defrag again ?

If I remember right you had to set your screen saver to none for it to complete.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Drifting a bit here -- One time I had a good laugh with a Win98SE defrag by Windows, watching it continually move the same ~40 blocks back and forth endlessly in a confined area at the end of the disk, until I stopped and restarted it.

btw, I'm trying to remember what firm made that software. Was it Seagate? If anyone here still has a running Win98 would they check it for me, please?

• Moderators

Do you remember the error you got with 98, something to with the defrag never completing but just restarting over and over

I dealt with that allot, and along with screensavers running the resident antivirus would just about always cause it to go into an endless loop of restarting.

Drifting a bit here -- One time I had a good laugh with a Win98SE defrag by Windows, watching it continually move the same ~40 blocks back and forth endlessly in a confined area at the end of the disk, until I stopped and restarted it.

btw, I'm trying to remember what firm made that software. Was it Seagate? If anyone here still has a running Win98 would they check it for me, please?

I think it was Norton (similar to Norton's Speedisk) but I may be mistaken.

Do you remember the error you got with 98, something to with the defrag never completing but just restarting over and over, then after restarting 10 times it would ask if you wanted to restart the defrag again ?

If I remember right you had to set your screen saver to none for it to complete.

Yes, I remember.

Had to have 0 processes running, or it would start all over again.

Using Windows ME defrag for Windows 98 pretty much fixed this, I believe.