CCleaner v3.08.1475 and Microsoft Security Essentials

Jorge Martins

Hi all,

I have upgrade my CCleaner to v3.08.1475. Since then I have run it twice. After running it my MSE says my pc might be unprotected because there is a long time since may last scan.

Has I have it scheduled to scan my pc everyday and after both messages I have scan the PC, I have concluded that CCleaner deletes that information from MSE.

Does anyone knows how to solve it?

Thanks,

Jorge Martins

CCleaner deletes the log files from scans made by MSSE. To disable this behavior, deselect the MS Antimalware option under Applications -> Windows

Thanks for the info - I was experiencing this on both my XP and 7 pc's and even contacted MSE about it. I have now disabled MS AntiMalware as you suggested - will watch it to see if I get any more yellow icons on MSE indicating I need a scan (when I really don't). Thanks.

Thanks for the info, it solved the question.

The strange is that I am using CCleaner for years and MSE since the launch and it was the first time that this happened to me!

I think that this new version of CCleaner as something new that is causing that behavior.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info, it solved the question.

The strange is that I am using CCleaner for years and MSE since the launch and it was the first time that this happened to me!

I think that this new version of CCleaner as something new that is causing that behavior.

Thanks again.

CCleaner changed this time, but also never trust security updates.

Twice in the 4 months of using Windows 7 I had to use a Boot CD to restore the system to the date before an update.

I recently unleashed updates and 25 patches jumped in.

When it rebooted without needing a boot CD I thought "lucky at last"

WRONG

I now have to hover over the Firefox Quick Launch button and wait for the "pudding stirrer" busy signal to subside before clicking,

otherwise I only launch the Firefox process but not the Browser.

This also got me. I couldn't figure out why MSE was telling me I hadn't run a scan even though I just did. Of course I was running CCleaner in between.

In trying to solve it I upgraded to the new MSE which just came out. Earlier than I would have liked. At least I didn't uninstall/reinstall which would have been my next move.

My question is what was CCleaner envisioning by adding MS Antimalware to Applications? If I have to uncheck it to avoid the program giving me an error what else might it have cleaned (besides logs) that will now have to stay?

Well cleaning the MSSE logs doesn't have an effect on the program's performance, it just makes the program think it hasnt scanned before.

Understood. The way it currently functions, if I allow CCleaner to clean the MS Antimalware I will get a warning that I am "potentially unprotected" until I run a another scan.

My question is are the MSE logs all it cleans? If it cleans other things also I can see allowing it to clean and live with the warning until I rescan to eliminate it. But if it doesn't clean anything else besides the logs I will leave it unchecked. Do you know if it cleans other things besides logs in MSE?

Simply uncheck and clean your PC and immediately recheck and ANALYSE.

Double click and you will see the individual items that are targetted.

That will show you if it is more than Logs.

If you do not understand what you see then "Right Click" and use "Save to Text file" and post back for expert analysis (not mine).

Simply uncheck and clean your PC and immediately recheck and ANALYSE.

Double click and you will see the individual items that are targetted.

That will show you if it is more than Logs.

If you do not understand what you see then "Right Click" and use "Save to Text file" and post back for expert analysis (not mine).

At this analysis it was just a scan result. I could add it to the exclude this but then I wonder if each result will be a different file. Guess I will just leave it unchecked.

If you do not trust CCleaner to continue to REFRAIN from damaging the essentials for MS AntiMalware,

You should most certainly SHOULD NOT TRUST MS AntiMalware to protect your assets if it cannot even protect itself from a gentle lick and polish by CCleaner.

The first bit of Malware that creeps out of the Internet will walk away with all your passwords and credit card numbers.

• Moderators

You should most certainly SHOULD NOT TRUST MS AntiMalware to protect your assets if it cannot even protect itself from a gentle lick and polish by CCleaner.

Those are just the scanning logs that CC deals with, nothing else, and in reality should probably leave antivirus/antimalware logs alone.:rolleyes: For instance CC wouldn't be able to touch the MSE Exclusions stored in the registry since they're protected - albeit all of the registry settings should really be protected but aren't. MSE is far too easy to disable even via a very simple batch script for instance when wanting to scan with something else like MBAM, SAS, etc.

MSE was working perfect for me for seven months. Then CCleaner's upgrade made it give me a warning that led me on a chase to figure out why. I should have paid more attention to what was included in the upgrade but it also seems to me Piriform should have known deleting logs would trigger a warning and that users would be concerned.

A Protector Application warns that it is failing to protect your system.

That is self evidently always true, it is incompetent;

it cannot even protect its obsolete logs that show what it is trying and failing to do.

Is it "Fit for Purpose" ?

A universally acclaimed rubbish remover Application does its thing,

which includes removing stale news and obsolete logs.

I for one vote against MSE

MSE was telling me I was potentially unprotected because a scan had not recently been run. All other aspects (real time protection, etc. ) were functioning.

MSE uses logs to determine if scans have taken place. Just like any other program would do. For you to say these are "obsolete" if in fact they serve a purpose is wrong. CCleaner deleted those logs so as far as MSE was concerned no scan had taken place.

I vote against CCleaner on this one.

MSE was telling me I was potentially unprotected because a scan had not recently been run. All other aspects (real time protection, etc. ) were functioning.

MSE uses logs to determine if scans have taken place. Just like any other program would do. For you to say these are "obsolete" if in fact they serve a purpose is wrong. CCleaner deleted those logs so as far as MSE was concerned no scan had taken place.

I vote against CCleaner on this one.

I agree.....I vote againt CCleaner on this also. It took me some time and effort go figure out what was happening. I'll look more closely at CCleaner on future updates to see what they are adding which might automatically cause problems.

• 3 months later...

A Protector Application warns that it is failing to protect your system.

That is self evidently always true, it is incompetent;

it cannot even protect its obsolete logs that show what it is trying and failing to do.

A universally acclaimed rubbish remover Application does its thing,

which includes removing stale news and obsolete logs.

I for one vote against MSE

Strange attitude. 1) Logs are not rubbish. 2) Ccleaner cannot and should not assume logs are obsolete. In this case, clearly they are not. 3) A third party application assuming log files are removable does not make the 2nd party application unfit for purpose. It is a real-time scanner, and quite effective. Scheduled scans are -of course- important for maximum security. Creating a scenario that forces a user into running extra scans does not reduce security- it annoys the user. It's now quite clear that ccleaner causes this, thus your 'fit for purpose' argument reflects back onto ccleaner. That's unfortunate, as it is otherwise an excellent tool.

• Moderators

Old Topic Is Old.

a disagreement loosly based on a single post does not aid the original poster. and MSE support has changed since I believe

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com