CCleaner not displaying restore points

FortMax

Recently, CCleaner has not been displaying any restore points on my XP SP3 machine, despite Windows's own System Restore tool showing 4 restore points.

Turning System Restore off and back on has not helped, nor has uninstalling and reinstalling CCleaner.

Well if you turn off restore points wouldn't that remove the already existing restore points and turning it on again will not bring them back???

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

It could be a bug, have you tried using an earlier version of CCleaner to see if it could detect the restore points???

CCleaner, in my view, does have a number of issues with Windows XP.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

You say you've reinstalled, but have you tried doing a complete removal, and then clean install of CCleaner?

You can back up all your settings by using the "Save settings to INI file" option in "Options\Advanced", and then go into the CCleaner folder, "C:\Program Files\CCleaner", and copy the "ccleaner.ini" file to a safe location to be copied back later into the new install.

You could use Revo Uninstaller to get all the registry entries if you're knowledge/experience has you comfortable with that.

Revo Uninstaller: (Free version download at the end of "Freeware" column, bottom of page.)

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Many thanks for this :) :

It seems to have been a problem with WMI, as System Information was unable to display any system information. One repair install later, and System Information and CCleaner are doing what they should.

I would appreciate more details on this solution ("One repair install later") as I too can't display any System Information. I used to be able to see and delete some restore points and love this feature of this excellent application...but now I have exactly the same problem as in this thread and have done an uninstall (using Revo) and clean install of Ccleaner but just can't see my restore points any more. So it looks like 'FortMax' has the solution.

It happened some weeks ago and I used to be able to see them. All I see now is the *briefest* start as if something is going to load... but then nothing. I'm running XP SP3 and yes I do have some restore points.

Any help, Thanks

I did a repair installation of XP.

One note: if you have Internet Explorer 7 or 8, you'll need to either uninstall it before you do the repair installation, or reinstall it after.

Thank you so much for this prompt reply FortMax - I can see that it's more than a quick-fix so I'll do it when I've got time for a bit of space to devote to it - I'm a little bit into 'scary territory' here! Some more 'homework' to do I fear. Regards :)

EDIT (after more homework!):

Thanks to the tip-off from FortMax I have solved the problem of the System Restore points not showing up in Ccleaner AND of course my System Information Utility now works! Here's the link:

WMI Solution Link

For the benefit of others, based on my problem, I can confirm, for my XP computer:

It is indeed a WMI problem and, as FortMax says (thanks Buddy), this is confirmed when you get an error when trying to see the contents of 'System Information Utility'. It all makes sense (well to me at least): if the System Information Utility isn't working then it won't 'report' System Restore points to Ccleaner.

There are lots of solutions floating around on the web but this one worked 100% for me:

a. Stop the WMI service (go to services.msc from the 'run' command)

b. Type this exactly in the run command "rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository" (without the ""). It takes a few seconds to carry this out.

c. Start the WMI service

d. er...there is no 'd.' - That's it!

Everything is solved and I'm a Happy Chappy :D