Better to use ERUNT on SHUTDOWN not STARTUP

Alan_B

Common use of ERUNT is at Start-up.

If the computer crashes with a broken register ten minutes later,

then ERUNT can restore the registry as it was,

and it restarts - and possibly crashes 10 minutes later, Ad Nauseum.

Would it be better to assume that the registry was fine when the computer had been running all day,

and something went wrong during the shut-down/power-up chaos and confusion,

and it would be better to use a registry backup made BEFORE the corruption of the registry ?

That way if the registry is broken on start-up the backup should give you another good day.

Is there any situation in which a backup at shutdown would be worse than a backup at start-up ?

I cannot remember ever needing to use an Erunt backup.

Perhaps that says more about the effectiveness of my memory than the quality of Windows ! !

My principle motivation is that after a BIOS delay I wait for the opportunity to type my password,

and then my desktop appears and lots of start-up stuff happens plus my start-up script that delays A.V. updates whilst the notification tray populates.

Perhaps 15 seconds after typing my password there are enough CPU cycles and disc accesses to spare for loading Firefox and doing what I want to do.

That 15 seconds is stretched out by another 10 of 15 seconds at the start of the day - because of the ERUNT backup creation.

I will avoid that extra 10 or 15 second delay by removing ERUNT from my start-up script when I am most impatient to get going,

and instead launching it from my shutdown script when there is no hurry - I am now the kitchen for a coffee/meal break and the PC can take it's own sweet time.

That is my motivation, but please tell me of any errors in my analysis.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

Strange, I've just opened a new topic on an ERUNT Graphical User Interface.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=29821&view=getnewpost&hl=&fromsearch=1

I've had ERUNT installed for a long time, and I've never noticed the time it adds to booting up, and the few extra seconds it takes, and I'm sure that's all it must take, as that's all a manual backup takes to do, is well worth it.

On the face of it, I think the same argument could be applied to making a backup when shutting down.

I think we've all experienced the situation of installing something, or messing about with whatever, and your computer carries on working perfectly afterwards.

The damage done only manifests itself when you next boot up your pc. Or should I say try to boot up your pc. A registry backup taken as you shut down would backup the corrupt items.

A shutdown or bootup "bad" backup can be negated I think, by using the previous days backup.

I've had ERUNT installed for a long time, and I've never noticed the time it adds to booting up, and the few extra seconds it takes, and I'm sure that's all it must take, as that's all a manual backup takes to do, is well worth it.

When ERUNT runs it shows me a progress bar as it reads 11 files and creates a 50 MB registry backup.

Typically that progress bar takes 10 Seconds from start to end, and the HDD led is on solid bright.

Other Windows windups normally occur during those 10 seconds. and they get delayed,

and they get in a huff and take about 15 seconds to do what they would have done in those 10 seconds if they had been given half a chance.

This morning ERUNT had a special day and progress was frozen for 20 seconds,

Windows decided it had more important things to do than wait for a registry backup ! !

This morning the interval from starting the event log to completion of my start-up tasks was 15 seconds longer than a normal first time of day - somehow the system saved 5 of those 20 seconds somewhere else.

I have managed in 4 years to reduce the interval "Power on" to "Firefox on" from over 2 minutes down to about 45 seconds,

so an extra 15 seconds due to the ERUNT registry backup represents the waste of 1 year of my labors ! !

I agree it is better to wait for a backup just in case - but I think I can do better.

On the face of it, I think the same argument could be applied to making a backup when shutting down.

I agree, which is why I started this thread.

I am looking for any reason that my proposal may do me more harm than good when the machines turn against me ! !

I think we've all experienced the situation of installing something, or messing about with whatever, and your computer carries on working perfectly afterwards.

The damage done only manifests itself when you next boot up your pc. Or should I say try to boot up your pc. A registry backup taken as you shut down would backup the corrupt items.

Actually I do not consider an installation successful until it is followed by :-

A clean shutdown and restart; and

A close examination of the System and Application Event Logs from the start of install through to the here and now.

I have a SHUTDOWN icon on the desktop which I double click at end of play,

it then launches a script that finally launches shutdown.exe, but first takes care of shutdown procedures.

The script shutdown procedures include launching CCleaner /AUTO with a gentle *.ini that only zaps TEMP files and Firefox caches etc.

(I like to ANALYZE and think about it before I clean anything else more vigorously.)

This is the script which I intend to use for launching ERUNT.

I agree that a bad installation may corrupt the registry so a shutdown backup would NOT be good for a restore.

It was not planned this way, but it gives me no problem because ERUNT would not launch after an install.

When something is installed I refrain from hitting the SHUTDOWN icon and avoid running this script,

because some installations are incomplete until a reboot has run "completion code" in a Temp file,

so installation would be in jeopardy if CCleaner saw that file first and zapped it.

Regards

Alan