Untraceable cookie

TopGeek

I have just one cookie that persists and I cannot find it anywhere on my XP PC.

I did have several others that CCleaner was not able to delete but I found them with the file search facility and deleted them manually. This one eludes me but evidently CCleaner manages to find it although cannot delete it. Any suggestions?

A bit more info would help TopGeek

Operating system used, and what exactly ccleaner says about the cookie (name)

I'm running Win XP and IE 8. The cookie concerned is entitled video.foxnews.com and it simply appears in the list of cookies to be deleted in the left-hand screen of CCleaner. It comes back at every reboot.

• Moderators

Hi TopGeek, and welcome to the forum.

Do you have "Adobe Flash Player" checked in "Applications\Multimedia"?

I can't get videos to play on that site, but the radio station was depositing .sol files, which are Flash Cookies.

Located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\Z9N7G7KH

Bold highlighted number will differ on your computer.

and ...

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

Checking that box should get rid of them, but if not you can use CCleaners "Include" routine to clean those folders, and the Flash Cookies inside of them.

How about Zombie Cookies courtesy of Adobe LSO. See

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100805

Sorry to go of topic here, but was it Foxnews that a little while ago supplied a live video broadcast,

and many people did not realise that in addition to taking a chunk out of the ISP download allowance,

it also took many chunks from the upload allowance because they had been put in a P-to-P sharing group.

Alan

Thanks for your help guys. I had already visited the Foxnews web site to check which player they use and it is indeed Adobe Flash Player. I then used the Flash player online control panel to delete all history but that Foxnews cookie was still there.

Your information about the .sol files made me do a search and there I found one file entitled wbs_cookies.sol, deleted it and the Foxnews cookie has gone. Reading that article really highlights the risks of phantom cookies and the gall of apparently reputable web site owners in planting such hidden cookies on the PCs of innocent users. Foxnews.com is now in my blocked cookies list.

• Moderators

How about Zombie Cookies courtesy of Adobe LSO. See

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100805

Sorry to go of topic here, but was it Foxnews that a little while ago supplied a live video broadcast,

and many people did not realise that in addition to taking a chunk out of the ISP download allowance,

it also took many chunks from the upload allowance because they had been put in a P-to-P sharing group.

Alan

I missed that one Alan, so thanks for posting it.

• Moderators

Thanks for your help guys. I had already visited the Foxnews web site to check which player they use and it is indeed Adobe Flash Player. I then used the Flash player online control panel to delete all history but that Foxnews cookie was still there.

Your information about the .sol files made me do a search and there I found one file entitled wbs_cookies.sol, deleted it and the Foxnews cookie has gone. Reading that article really highlights the risks of phantom cookies and the gall of apparently reputable web site owners in planting such hidden cookies on the PCs of innocent users. Foxnews.com is now in my blocked cookies list.

Pleased you fixed it and zapped the insidious little so and so.

I missed that one Alan, so thanks for posting it.

Happy to help.

I actually came across that zombie cookie article as a result of yesterday's weekly notification of a new issue of Windows Secrets, and was so indignant I would have burst if I had not found opportunity to rant about it ! !

Alan