Unable to overwrite special file type

jopa66

After scanning hard drive for deleted files, this file continually shows up. The file is unimportant and I do not need to recover it, although I can easily do so with Recuva and the recovered file is 11KB in size. It is intact and openable. The name of the file is: Outlook Express emails.zip and is simply a WinRar archive of the default OE folders. My querry is that I would rather just never see this again and would like to eliminate it once and for all. Recuva will not securely delete the file - giving the error as in the title of this message. ie: Size - unknown Status - Not overwritten - Unable to overwrite special file type.

Have used other tools, namely: Restoration and EasyRecovery, both of which cannot even find this file. Have also tried wiping free space with Eraser and Restoration but file still appears in Recuva. And, since I originally restored to a separate hard drive, the file is now "stuck" on both drive C: and drive D:

Have run Recuva is debug mode. Log is as follows:

61KQTlRGUyAgICAAAggAAAAAAAAA+AAAPwD/AD8AAAAAAAAAgACAAOvt4QQAAAAAoBQ0AAAAAABa

rDoAAAAAAPYAAAABAAAAD5pfvLBfvIYAAAAA+jPAjtC8AHz7uMAHjtjoFgC4AA2OwDPbxgYOABDo

UwBoAA1oagLLihYkALQIzRNzBbn//4rxZg+2xkBmD7bRgOI/9+KGzcDtBkFmD7fJZvfhZqMgAMO0

QbuqVYoWJADNE3IPgftVqnUJ9sEBdAT+BhQAw2ZgHgZmoRAAZgMGHABmOwYgAA+COgAeZmoAZlAG

U2ZoEAABAIA+FAAAD4UMAOiz/4A+FAAAD4RhALRCihYkABYfi/TNE2ZYWwdmWGZYH+stZjPSZg+3

DhgAZvfx/sKKymaL0GbB6hD3NhoAhtaKFiQAiujA5AYKzLgBAs0TD4IZAIzABSAAjsBm/wYQAP8O

DgAPhW//Bx9mYcOg+AHoCQCg+wHoAwD76/60AYvwrDwAdAm0DrsHAM0Q6/LDDQpBIGRpc2sgcmVh

ZCBlcnJvciBvY2N1cnJlZAANCk5UTERSIGlzIG1pc3NpbmcADQpOVExEUiBpcyBjb21wcmVzc2Vk

AA0KUHJlc3MgQ3RybCtBbHQrRGVsIHRvIHJlc3RhcnQNCgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAg6CzyQAAVao=

[2009-11-04 11:20:22] [iNFO ] Reading MFT

[2009-11-04 11:20:22] [iNFO ] Reading files

[2009-11-04 11:20:24] [iNFO ] Building folders

[2009-11-04 11:20:24] [iNFO ] Restoring tree

[2009-11-04 11:20:24] [iNFO ] Analyzing damage

[2009-11-04 11:20:24] [iNFO ] 5941 deleted files, 40641 filesystem objects

[2009-11-04 11:20:24] [iNFO ] Processing deleted emails

[2009-11-04 11:20:25] [iNFO ] Processing recycle bin

[2009-11-04 11:20:25] [iNFO ] Returning list

[2009-11-04 11:20:25] [iNFO ] 806 / 2553

[2009-11-04 11:20:25] [iNFO ] Exiting scan

[2009-11-04 11:20:29] [ERROR] Not a PNG file

[2009-11-04 11:20:29] [ERROR] jpg error

[2009-11-04 11:20:56] [ERROR] Recuva exception: MboxFileRecordImpl.cpp(99) : Unable to overwrite special file type (0x000000b5)

[2009-11-04 11:20:56] [ERROR] Not a PNG file

[2009-11-04 11:20:56] [ERROR] jpg error

• Moderators

From the Piriform docs:

You cannot securely delete the ZIP file in Step 2 before you recover it. Recuva only creates the ZIP file when you choose to recover the emails.

I guess that means that if you wanted to recover deleted emails then you would have to recover them all, and the zip file containing them would be created at the time if recovery. So the zip filemane that Recuva finds is a pseudo-name, and thus can't be securely deleted. It makes sense as there isn't a Outlook Express emails.zip file name in the MFT (not that I've ever seen), and the deleted emails presumably live in the mail client's data bases.

• Moderators

Hi jopa, and welcome to Piriform.

If it's any consolation, you're not alone:

LRfHjs.png

It must be some MS thing, as I've never, ever used Outlook Express.

EDIT: You just beat me Augeas. It must be created whether you use OE or not.

• Moderators

Ha, you tarried too long at the pub, Dennis! I think that the file name is one of Piriform's own, and just means that there are some emails available to be recovered from whatever client you're using. I can't remember what clients are supported without looking at the docs again.

• Moderators
Ha, you tarried too long at the pub, Dennis! I think that the file name is one of Piriform's own, and just means that there are some emails available to be recovered from whatever client you're using. I can't remember what clients are supported without looking at the docs again.

If only that were true. :)

After recovery, it's an empty 0 byte file, and I don't use an email client.

Windows Live Mail is listed, which I have, but it's web based and I don't have Windows Live Desktop installed which I think (emphasise "I think") I would need to use it as an email client.

I hardly use it anyway, and certainly haven't deleted any mail from it in an age. And I don't use Live Mail for Piriform emails.

I'd be interested to learn how many more folk not using an email client of any sort can pick up this 0 byte file with a scan.

• 5 months later...

Hey I never use outlook express, why is this file here and why is it not deleting?

I even used Eraser and it's THE ONLY file that keeps returning.

Whats the story on this file and where did it come from?

Filename: Outlook Express emails.zip

Path: C:\

Size: Unknown (Unknown)

State: Excellent

Creation time: Unknown

Last modification time: Unknown

Last access time: Unknown

Comment: No overwritten clusters detected.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I get why one might assume that, but it wouldn't make sense to donut that way. To recover meats you would want to not modify it in any way, and also, this method isn't done with pictures, or docs.

One theory I have is that the Ccleaner or maybe even recuva itself writes this file in the "overwrite" operation. (free space wipe, the cleaning with multiple pass checked, or recuva's overwrite command) I notice after a wipe it creates tons of jpg files with a $ and random numbers and letters such as $Ryh577fh.jpg

This makes sense to me as a sort of plausible deniability, sort of like TrueCrypt's hidden container.

"yes, here are important looking (but benign)things that I deleted, nothing more to see"

Security through obsecurity.

I could be wrong, but this is my theory.