Windows 7 Taskscheduler get's boinked by CC

I really haven't had the time to nail down what's getting deleted but if you run CC you might have a problem looking at your tasks in Taskscheduler. You'll get error messages. A System Restore didn't even fix the problem.

Just a heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same problem on both of my PCs (Notebook aud Desktop).

What I've found out so far:

-Several Users reported a broken Task scheduler in Windows 7 in combination with ccleaner.

-Apperantly, the task scheduler cache gest broken.

-The tasks themselves are still present in \windows\system32\tasks\... (please check)

-Task scheduler cache can be repaired by deleting all entries under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache

and restarting. After that, the schedulder seems to run without errors, BUT it still cannot display all old tasks. At least, you can make you own tasks again. You will still get errors, when the system wants to change its own tasks (e.g. when activating/deactivating system restore).

-Obvieously, Some other part of the task scheduler database seems still to be broken.

-If nobody reports more on this topic, I will test ccleaner on a fresh Win7 install and check, which option breaks the scheduler.

Greetings,

IF

-If nobody reports more on this topic, I will test ccleaner on a fresh Win7 install and check, which option breaks the scheduler.

Greetings,

IF

Hi,

I reinstalled Win7 and tried everything. CCleaner kills the windows scheduler (see above) as soon, as I select

"IIS Log Files" under the Advanced options and run the cleaner. Everything else seems to work fine.

I also used analyse with a restored image to chek the files:

A lot of files in C:\windows\system32\Logfiles\SCM are listed as possible deletion candidates. They have long ID names close to the IDs used by the taks scheduler cache in the registry.

I will try to transfer the files to my second PC to repair the damage there...

Greetings,

IF

Update,

I manage to fix the Task Scheduler on the second PC by transferring the files from the SCM directory and restarting. I'm not sure if it is okay to post the files, since they are generated by windows.

What one can do as repair is: Install Win 7 on an extra partition and copy the files from the \system32\logfiles\scm directory to the damaged installation. In that case, you should not use the registry fix from above.

Greetings,

IF

• 2 weeks later...

I can also report this bug with Win7 and Ccleaner about task scheduler but also when i used Ccleaner my language bar icon on the taskbar dissappeared. This happens for the third time to me on different Win7 installation but i wasn`t shure it`s because Ccleaner. Now i`m shure 100%. Language bar icon dissappear and there is no way to get it back on taskbar because when i go in regional and language options-keyboards and languages-language bar,everything is set correctly to show the icon. Is anyone have the same or similiar problem?

P.S.

I would like to thank to Ccleaner team for understanding and working together with users because in yesterday`s new edition of Ccleaner v2.21.940 task scheduler bug seems to be fixed. B)

I can also report this bug with Win7 and Ccleaner about task scheduler but also when i used Ccleaner my language bar icon on the taskbar dissappeared. This happens for the third time to me on different Win7 installation but i wasn`t shure it`s because Ccleaner. Now i`m shure 100%. Language bar icon dissappear and there is no way to get it back on taskbar because when i go in regional and language options-keyboards and languages-language bar,everything is set correctly to show the icon. Is anyone have the same or

Hi,

I did not yet test the new version. But I can verify the problem with the language with the older version. It seem to be linked to the task scheduler problems.

Explanation:

For the laguage bar to appear, a small programm called ctfmon.exe has to be loaded. In earlier versios on windows, it was done by a registry setting. Maybe in 7 it is done by the scheduler. So, the problem with the task scheduler could also cause the ctfmon.exe not to be loaded automatically,

Work around: start ctfmon.exe manually or create an autostart key in the registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)

But since the problem ist fixed anyway...

Greetings,

IF

Edit:

I just checked the new version out. The bug is gone, simply because the option to clean the "IIS Log Files" is gone. Interesting approach to solve the problem ;-). Anyway, I'm glad this was fixed so fast and less 7 RC/Beta testers will have trouble with ccleaner.

• 4 months later...
Hi,

I have the same problem on both of my PCs (Notebook aud Desktop).

What I've found out so far:

-Several Users reported a broken Task scheduler in Windows 7 in combination with ccleaner.

-Apperantly, the task scheduler cache gest broken.

-The tasks themselves are still present in \windows\system32\tasks\... (please check)

-Task scheduler cache can be repaired by deleting all entries under the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache

and restarting. After that, the schedulder seems to run without errors, BUT it still cannot display all old tasks. At least, you can make you own tasks again. You will still get errors, when the system wants to change its own tasks (e.g. when activating/deactivating system restore).

-Obvieously, Some other part of the task scheduler database seems still to be broken.

Greetings,

IF

I have the same problems with Task Scheduler with Windows 7 Enterprise. I think there may be conflicts with Defraggler too .

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I did not yet test the new version. But I can verify the problem with the language with the older version. It seem to be linked to the task scheduler problems.

Explanation:

For the laguage bar to appear, a small programm called ctfmon.exe has to be loaded. In earlier versios on windows, it was done by a registry setting. Maybe in 7 it is done by the scheduler. So, the problem with the task scheduler could also cause the ctfmon.exe not to be loaded automatically,

Work around: start ctfmon.exe manually or create an autostart key in the registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)

But since the problem ist fixed anyway...

Greetings,

IF

Edit:

I just checked the new version out. The bug is gone, simply because the option to clean the "IIS Log Files" is gone. Interesting approach to solve the problem ;-). Anyway, I'm glad this was fixed so fast and less 7 RC/Beta testers will have trouble with ccleaner.

Dear sear

Could you please ex plane to me how to create an autostart key in the registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) step by step to solve this problem.

I'll appreciate your support

Best rgarde and hapy new year

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Could someone please post detailed step by step instructions on how to fix the task scheduler in Windows 7. I have used cCleaner for ever faithfully. I looked in the registry as indicated above to try and follow this fix, and the task scheduler is still broken. I cannot schedule any tasks either.

I have reported this bug to Microsoft and have tried everything in their forums with no resolve. I have researched for a solution and have not found any that work.

I have reinstalled W7 2x and I keep getting the same broken task scheduler and am unsure why or when this happens. I've been trying to get this issue resolved for so long now without any resolve and it is very frustrating. :blink:

I am using cCleaner v2.27.1070 and the option for IIS Log Files was never enabled yet the task scheduler in W7 is still broken.

Please advise further. Thanks in advance!

-Tessa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I use it a lot and recomend to everyone. But now I can't trust Cclenaer anymore. I can only run Tasks once then they break and dont work anymore.

I'm running the latest version and tryed the registry and the folder woraround. Work for a while then the problem come back.

Please help.

Pedro

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem with Defraggler and CCleaner and the Windows Vista Task Scheduler too. Has there been an update to this topic????

My current versions are:

Defraggler: v2.08.373 (14 Nov 2011)

CCleaner: v3.13.1600 (28 Nov 2011)

BTW, I fixed the issue by looking for the following in my registry and my C drive:

• Defraggler Volume C Task
  • Defraggler Volume D Task

For each registry item I found that contained (see above), I deleted it and also the same for any found on the hard drive (C:). The steps I took completely removed them from Windows Vista Task Scheduler. After rebooting my system, I tested adding the task thru Defraggler and both tasks are now showing up in the Task Scheduler in Windows.

FYI, I have 22 years experience working with the Windows registry and after looking at this only forum topic I decided to take a look around and found what would be causing the entries not to show in the Task Scheduler. So I backup my registry and made the above changes and after two restarts of my system the tasks are still there.

If things change or if I need to make modification to what I did I will post it here. PLEASE IF ANYONE ATTEMPTS TO FIX THIS THRU THE WINDOWS VISTA OR 7 REGISTRY'S PLEASE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO MODIFY YOUR SYSTEM. Also please make sure you make a System Restore point and BACKUP your registry before making this attempt.

If anyone needs additional help I be willing to write a more detailed instructions if it will help or if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me here.

Edited by stimpyaw

• 1 year later...

I was wondering if we could bring this issue up again ? I, well not me but my father-in-laws system has sort of the same issue and I am still working on it as far as looking for answers and have tried several so called fixes' and have used CCleaner forever with no issues that I can ever recall but I'm not sure if CCleaner is the problem or not so here I am and this is the only posting I can find that comes close to his issue . Would Someone please advise me if it is ok to open this again is so can continue on with the issues at hand .

• Moderators

I was wondering if we could bring this issue up again ? I, well not me but my father-in-laws system has sort of the same issue and I am still working on it as far as looking for answers and have tried several so called fixes' and have used CCleaner forever with no issues that I can ever recall but I'm not sure if CCleaner is the problem or not so here I am and this is the only posting I can find that comes close to his issue . Would Someone please advise me if it is ok to open this again is so can continue on with the issues at hand .

better to start your own new topic, in it give us as much information as you can

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com