CCleaner 2.19.900 wipes out saved Firefox passwords!

MarshallO

Apparently, your new version of CCleaner has some major bugs, which are currently being discussed in Firefox forums!

Version 2.19.900 completely wipes out all the Firefox saved passwords when "delete saved form information" is checked, by totally deleting "signon3.txt" from Firefox's profile!

It has taken me hours to recreate "signon3.txt" (and I'm still working on it), and I resent the fact that CCleaner was the cause!

P.S. In addition, my CCleaner still lists some programs for cleaning that I don't even have anymore!

Hi DennisD,

FYI...

If you see carefully the logs what CCleaner 2.19.900 cleaned with the option "Saved Form Information",

"signons3.txt" file is in the log as deleted.

Example...

CLEANING COMPLETE - (2.472 secs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15.85KB removed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of files deleted

C:\Users\<LOGIN-NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx99.default>\signons3.txt 11.85KB

C:\Users\<LOGIN-NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx99.default>\formhistory.sqlite 4.00KB

So... It is a CCleaner2.19.900 issue...

Hi there,

I think CCleaner had a bug as it was NOT deleting saved passwords when "Saved Form Information" is cheked.

I am glad that it is now fixed as it was a major flaw leaving passwords on the harddrive.

Anyone can easily see your passowrds using this "Password Fox":

http://kunalsachdeva.wordpress.com/2009/02...-gtalk-and-msn/

If you want to save passwords all in one place you should use a proper software like "KeePass":

http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=keepass

Firefox->"Saved Form Information" is now working as IE->Autocomplete Form History and Google Chrome->Save Form Information. Passwords are saved form information!

You can always uncheck the option anyway...

Thanks

• Moderators
Version 2.19.900 completely wipes out all the Firefox saved passwords when "delete saved form information" is checked, by totally deleting "signon3.txt" from Firefox's profile

seems to me this is not a bug at all

"delete saved form information"=Delete form information including saved passwords which are, in fact saved form information. I agree with the above poster, if you want to keep your saved passwords

a) uncheck saved form info

or

B) get a password vault (either plugin or program)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

bulls**t, since the new update of Ccleaner the index of the signons file is totally deleted. There also plug-in for firefox which use encrypted saved passwords like kee-pass does whitin the signons file. And if you want to know better, be mine guest to translate mine saved password from this signons file created by the plug-in Secure Login:

(Oops may be the user is right and CCleaner made a mistake....)

#2e

http://forum.avira.com

loginUsername

MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECH5ze1dYz3zLBAjhIpXY1h7Hdw==

*loginPassword

MDoEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECPXzgCN55412BBDjC53co2Ip6JfJlrbt6dPj

http://forum.avira.com

---

http://forum.piriform.com

UserName

MDIEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECC5xpMXSAT1jBAhIDG/4CwTgUg==

*PassWord

MDoEEPgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEwFAYIKoZIhvcNAwcECIAia7VL5ILeBBCavlxQwW18rljVzY9w3wlQ

http://forum.piriform.com

---

And if you can not read them, its need for CCleaner to admit that they made a mistake by doing so.

• Moderators
And if you can not read them, its need for CCleaner to admit that they made a mistake by doing so.

Chill out, your attitude won't fly around here for long with that tone.

All software has the potential for bugs, and "admitting" it is always done when a new version is released and a change log is posted in Announcements with the new version.

Hi DennisD,

FYI...

If you see carefully the logs what CCleaner 2.19.900 cleaned with the option "Saved Form Information",

"signons3.txt" file is in the log as deleted.

Example...

CLEANING COMPLETE - (2.472 secs)

15.85KB removed.

Details of files deleted

C:\Users\<LOGIN-NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx99.default>\signons3.txt 11.85KB

C:\Users\<LOGIN-NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx99.default>\formhistory.sqlite 4.00KB

So... It is a CCleaner2.19.900 issue...

Dear chocka,

All the sentence you wrote above is just copy & paste of MY comment...

Please do not just copy & paste someone?s comment as yours.

(Sorry to say this, but I didn't like the tone of your next comment, that is why I am saying this...)

Instead of just copy & paste, Please use "+QUOTE" functions.

Anyway!

Somehow I understand now that if this option "Saved Form Information" in 2.19.900 for firefox is becoming equal as other browsers, we have to accept it I guess.

This time there is no specific announcement to firefox users that they added new meaning of option "Saved Form Information", that is why most of us (firefox users) lost our saved passwords....

Now I am thinking about using other solution of password savings which was suggested by other user in this forum. ;)

(Sorry about my poor English...)

Well, you guys have complained so much that they decided to remove the behavior...

There is a new version v2.19.901 that puts "Saved Form Information" for Firefox back to how it was.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry135774

Even though i don't think this is the correct solution as passwords saved on FF profile folder is a major flaw as anyone can read it using the "key3.db" right there in the same folder!!!

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Signons.txt

But now you have it back! I hope you enjoy having everyone reading your passwords!

thanks

I agree. It is the Saved Form Information checkbox. I just double checked it. I entered in a password, firefox had me save it, I ran the cleaner with the checkbox checked, and it deleted my passwords. I then unchecked the box, did the same password for a website, and ran the cleaner, and my password was still there. It is definitely that Saved Form Checkbox that is creating the issue.

Yep, it was a bug, signons2.txt was deleted by .900, along with the FF forms. Thankfully, the new update fixes the bug.

By the way, I've thought for a while that the option should be split into clearing forms and clearing signons, i.e. two different things in Firefox.

Chill out, your attitude won't fly around here for long with that tone.

All software has the potential for bugs, and "admitting" it is always done when a new version is released and a change log is posted in Announcements with the new version.

Hi all,

A change crept in to the new build that hadn't been approved, causing Firefox passwords

to be removed in "Saved Form Information" cleaning.

We've removed this and have uploaded a build 901 to the download server.

Apologies for any problems caused.

MrG

Apologies excepted. I lost my index of signons.txt, but your reply is a relieve. Thank you

Sorry to be rude, but people who reply should read and think carefully so we don't waste each other's time. I could not be that something what never have been cleaned, suddenly will be cleaned by a new version of the software.

By the way, I've thought for a while that the option should be split into clearing forms and clearing signons, i.e. two different things in Firefox.

May be this is an option???

Just add your password file to the "Exclude" in Firefox....used to be the way Ccleaner was back when it was Crap Cleaner and with older versions of Firefox. Long time user here. Love it, never give it up!

I'm sure Ccleaner will resolve the issue in the next upgrade....but rather than skipping all cleaning for saved forms just add your passwords to the "Exclude"

Go to <Options> click <Exclude> click <Add> C:\Users\<User-Name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx.default> Add that

*IMPORTANT*: Since the drop down in the Edit Function didn't show <signons3.txt>.....you will have to manually edit it:

just right click on it and <manually edit> and add the <signons3.txt>

It should look like:

C:\Users\<User-Name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xxxxxx.default>\signons3.txt

Viola!

Here is an idea, back up your passwords? Before shouting around why not take your own steps to prevent such frustrating data loss in the event it does happen.

I have had firefox kill my passwords long before i had even heard of ccleaner. As well as book marks. which seems a on going problem.

No fate but what we make

Here is an idea, back up your passwords? Before shouting around why not take your own steps to prevent such frustrating data loss in the event it does happen.

I have had firefox kill my passwords long before i had even heard of ccleaner. As well as book marks. which seems a on going problem.

:lol: So true ident...Always backed up...along with what add-ons I have, just in case a version doesn't run like I want.