1. "Cookies" and 2. "auto-start"

volland

Hello,

first about the cookies: I do listen to a certain radio station on the computer. When I look in the Firefox - Cookielist, that station has stored a cookie there. When I look in the CCleaner at the same time.....no cookie. So I canot keep that cookie, and as a result the settings for the radio program vanish.

The exact same Problem also with a TV station.

Firefox = Cookie, CCleaner=no cookie....

What am I doing wrong, please? :huh:

Second about the auto-start-list ... There are about a dozen programs on that list, but I have not the slightest idea what these are, and if I can deactivate them , or if I need them.... how can I find out?

It is not even possible to copy and paste them right here.... :huh:

Other than that, I think CCleaner is an absolutely great program and I have recommended it to all my friends, who all use it....

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

Hello,

Other than that, I think CCleaner is an absolutely great program and I have recommended it to all my friends, who all use it....

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

Hello volland,

You are very welcome to the forums. :D

Are you a new PC user or did you just realize by installing CCleaner that a Startup list was even there?

You can click on this link and learn some ways to take snapshots. Then you can show a snapshot of your Startup screen in CCleaner. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=13668

In regards to "cookies", what is listed in the CCleaner "Cookies to delete" after you close Firefox?

If the Cookie shows up then you can move the cookie over to the "cookies to save".

If the Cookie does not show then you need to make Firefox save that cookie. Then you can save it in CCleaner. CCleaner can not prevent other programs from deleting things but you can prevent CCleaner from deleting that "cookie" and any other Cookie that you do not want deleted by CCleaner.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Beginners advice

Start here with this link and follow its advice.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Also see this link about the Registry and newbies.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510

Come back and let us know how you did and what else we can help you with.

There are lots of easy things to learn. One step at time.

Talk with you later,

:) davey

Hello volland,

You are very welcome to the forums. :D

Are you a new PC user or did you just realize by installing CCleaner that a Startup list was even there?

Talk with you later, :) davey

Hello davey, I am sort of a mix of computer moron and someone with a reasonably functioning brain.... to give you an example...I bought this laptop with only free-dos on it six months ago. I installed XP and Linux Suse on it, and while in Europe both worked fine. Here in Japan, when I plug in my dsl cable, the XP works without a hitch immediately. The Suse however works fine in Europe, but so far no one has been able to get an internet connection with the Linux system here in Japan, although absolutely nothing has been changed.......

So, I downloaded the software, made the screenshot and have it attached. I hope it works properly. I am aware of what the start up list is, but as most of those codes mean nothing to me, I always left that stuff alone. But CCleaner works so well, and so quite naturally I hate it, when i cannot use it properly. The startup and the turning off of XPprofessional takes longer and longer.... The "Olympus" I have turned off, that is my camera, and the "quicktime" has something to do with that mediaplayer??? As I use windows player, I turned the other one off too. But what else? The adobe reader is probably o.k.and avast is my anti virus program...post-24157-1224846102_thumb.png

Thanks, volland

post-24157-1224846102_thumb.png

In regards to "cookies", what is listed in the CCleaner "Cookies to delete" after you close Firefox?

If the Cookie shows up then you can move the cookie over to the "cookies to save".

If the Cookie does not show then you need to make Firefox save that cookie. Then you can save it in CCleaner. CCleaner can not prevent other programs from deleting things but you can prevent CCleaner from deleting that "cookie" and any other Cookie that you do not want deleted by CCleaner.

Hello Davey, so here is part two...

The cookies I am looking for are not listed in CCleaner, so I cannot transfer them from the left list to the one on the right. They are listed in the cookie list on Firefox however.

In Firefox I can basically only delete cookies and there is a list for the non-accepts. I can delete them one by one, or I can delete all of them at the same time. But there seems to be no way to keep a particular cookie, or transfer it to the CCleaner list.

CCleaner must be deleting the cookies from Firefox, and I cannot find a way to keep certain cookies...

So how do I go about that?

Thanks once more,volland

Hello davey, I am sort of a mix of computer moron and someone with a reasonably functioning brain.... to give you an example...I bought this laptop with only free-dos on it six months ago.

Thanks, volland

Looks like you know more than you led me to believe .

Leave on your ctf , tray, a/v, firewall and any back up at first boot type software.

The rest turn off including adobe. Get Foxit PDF for free. Faster and not bloated like Adobe. I think it is about 1/10 th the size. Works for anything that says it needs Adobe. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

You can turn on any of the others if you really need want them at startup. DON'T delete any.

Good luck,

P.S. A little over a year ago my PC took 5-6 mins to boot and a little more to shutdown.

Now I boot in less than 2 min. and shut down in less than that. CCleaner, UPHClean, IE7 and defragment did the trick for me.

If you are XP you MUST have this.

UPHCLEAN User Profile Hive Cleanup Service

A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.

UPHClean:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP 32-Bit systems

THIS IS NOT FOR Windows VISTA. Vista has it's own program DPHClean.

UPHClean v1.6d does not function under Windows XP x64 Edition or Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition. A future version of UPHClean may be supported under those operating systems.

Edited by davey

Hello Davey, so here is part two...

The cookies I am looking for are not listed in CCleaner, so I cannot transfer them from the left list to the one on the right. They are listed in the cookie list on Firefox however.

So how do I go about that?

Thanks once more,volland

CCleaner's list of "cookies to delete" shows what cookies are in your Cookies folder minus the ones that are listed in "cookies to save". Whatever does not show there must be kept somewhere else by Firefox.

The Firefox users can fill you in on Firefox due to it's various versions.

I just started using this two days ago. I have it set to leave the cookies alone but it still deletes all of them. Serious pain in the rear. Let me know if this can REALLY be set to leave the cookies alone.

Thanks

• Moderators

IS Volland using FF3?

many complaints of firefox3 not clearing stuff. This is due to the use of sqlite for cookies cache and history

Starting in Firefox 3.0 and SeaMonkey 2.0, cookie information is stored in "cookies.sqlite" and "permissions.sqlite".

Until I hear otherwise CCleaner is not currently cleaning the sqllite files (and may not be able to) I would suggest something from this list

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/se...ies&cat=all

I use Extended Cookie Manager and am currently trying out CookieSafe

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hello, davey, hello nergal,

1. "Leave on your ctf , tray, a/v, firewall and any back up at first boot type software."

The "ctf" I can recognize, because there is a file by that name. The rest means nothing to me....???

2. The firefox version that I use now is 3.0.3 but the problem with the deleted cookies was the same when I used 3.0

But, nergal, my problem is that something deletes cookies that I do not want deleted. Firefox does not ask me, if there are any cookies on its list that I want to be kept....

The cookies that I organize in the CCleaner, they stay right where I want them, no problem. But several cookies do not make it to the CCleaner list, only to the firefox list in the "extras". And whenever I close down the computer, I use cc and they get deleted....

If I understand CCleaner correctly, it will delete all cookies unless they are on the cc list that explicitely allows them to stay?

So, why are not all cookies that are stored by visited websites listed on the CCleaner?

The "cookie safe" add on also does not say it will keep cookies from being cleared by CCleaner, unless they are on the cc list. But if they were there, I would not have the problem in the first place, so cookie safe will not help me....

What to do, I guess I will just live with it....

But, davey, can you clear up those names on the start up list for me?

Thanks again, volland

• Moderators

What cookies are they, can you list one or two.?

I ask just in case they might be 'flash cookies' and to stop them being deleted you have to untick Adobe Flash/macromedia player undet the application tab, multimedia section, in the CCleaner program.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I ask just in case they might be 'flash cookies' and to stop them being deleted you have to untick Adobe Flash/macromedia player undet the application tab, multimedia section, in the CCleaner program.

If you're talking to me, they are cookies from banks and things, also the opt out cookies from every cookie monster that has opt out cookies. The problem is that CC dumps them all when I've set it to leave it's grubby mitts off my cookies.

I just started using this two days ago. I have it set to leave the cookies alone but it still deletes all of them. Serious pain in the rear. Let me know if this can REALLY be set to leave the cookies alone.

Thanks

Hi bean,

Welcome to the forums. :D

Many users using IE8 Beta have problems with CCleaner deleting all their cookies.

At Cleaner > Windows tab > Internet Explorer turn off Delete Index.dat files as a workaround for now.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

New Users Advice

Start here with this link and follow its advice.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Also see this link about the Registry and newbies.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510

If you're talking to me, they are cookies from banks and things, also the opt out cookies from every cookie monster that has opt out cookies. The problem is that CC dumps them all when I've set it to leave it's grubby mitts off my cookies.

Hi again bean,

Hazelnut's suggestion is what you need to do. This will protect special "flash cookies" that many "popular" sites setup in the Adobe/Macromedia files. Some financial institutions are also using them since the "flash cookies" are Encrypted.

If these cookies are also regular type "cookies" then IE8 Beta causes problems and also Firefox 3.x has to be set to save the cookies that are setup in Firefox browser.

If you are only using IE6 or IE7 then you should not be having any cookie problems.

Maybe some Firefox users can tell you how to keep or delete those cookies.

Hello, davey, hello nergal,

1. "Leave on your ctf , tray, a/v, firewall and any back up at first boot type software."

The "ctf" I can recognize, because there is a file by that name. The rest means nothing to me....???

But, davey, can you clear up those names on the start up list for me?

Thanks again, volland

Volland,

You do not need these at startup. You can turn them on again if needed.t2172_20081025103602.png

DO NOT DELETE any startup items.

THe cookies I want to keep belong to a regular radiostation and a TV station. The radiostation wrote back to me, that they have problems with their cookies.... I tried what you suggested, lets see what happens, thanks

Hi again bean,

Hazelnut's suggestion is what you need to do. This will protect special "flash cookies" that many "popular" sites setup in the Adobe/Macromedia files. Some financial institutions are also using them since the "flash cookies" are Encrypted.

If these cookies are also regular type "cookies" then IE8 Beta causes problems and also Firefox 3.x has to be set to save the cookies that are setup in Firefox browser.

If you are only using IE6 or IE7 then you should not be having any cookie problems.

Maybe some Firefox users can tell you how to keep or delete those cookies.

Thanks davey but, I have all items in the Cleaner> Windows tab > Internet Explorer unchecked. I assumed that would make Cleaner ignore the cookies but, it does not.

Also, I'm using IE7.

I've tried it with the suggestion you made as well, no dice. It deletes all cookies no matter how I set it.

I am afraid that is also the experience I am having.

I can set CCleaner and firefox as I choose, it will also delete the cookies I want to keep.

My experience is that CCleaner simply does NOT show all the cookies that are placed on my computer in its list of cookies, and so I cannot move them to the right side list, the ones that should not be deleted.

Is there no way to get all the cookies that are sent by websites to the list of CCleaner??

The world will not come to an end because of this. I simply have to click four places and everything will work as I want it to. But it would be nicer...

Thanks again for your help, volland

volland and bean, I am wondering if the use of Double byte character set in Windows could have an impact on the location of the cookies so that CCleaner is unable to determine their location.

This might be the reason CCleaner is unable to detect their location and not include them in the Options Cookies panel.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

volland and bean, I am wondering if the use of Double byte character set in Windows could have an impact on the location of the cookies so that CCleaner is unable to determine their location.

This might be the reason CCleaner is unable to detect their location and not include them in the Options Cookies panel.

YoKenny,

I have no idea, I'm not really a computer guy. The problem I have might also include the problem volland has but I don't know. All I wanted was for CC to not touch the cookies at all so I never looked at the keep/dump thing.

I do know that when it comes to finding the cookies at clean up time, CC finds them because after a cleaning their all gone.

Thanks again for your help, volland

Volland,

Since you are using Firefox 3.x your problem will have to be handled as you are currently doing.

Maybe the next version of CCleaner will help you.

The problem right now is how Firefox is handling the "cookies" that it processes. It is keeping these cookies in a different area than what was standard before.

YoKenny,

I have no idea, I'm not really a computer guy. The problem I have might also include the problem volland has but I don't know. All I wanted was for CC to not touch the cookies at all so I never looked at the keep/dump thing.

I do know that when it comes to finding the cookies at clean up time, CC finds them because after a cleaning their all gone.

Bean,

Did you uncheck the option to clean Adobe Flash Player at Cleaner > Applications tab > Multimedia list like hazelnut suggested ? This protects all "flash cookies" that are special to Adobe/Macromedia Flash Player. These type of cookies have nothing to do with what is listed in Cleaner > Windows tab > Internet Explorer.

Your normal Cookies are kept in an area that is special for Internet Explorer. Some other users that had your problem only resolved it by re-installing IE7. However, I am still not certain that what you are describing is not related to Adobe "Flash Cookies".

What "cookies" show in the list of "Cookies to be deleted" at Options > Cookies after running CCleaner? This list should be empty if things are happening as you describe. After browsing see what is shown there before running CCleaner. You might as well set up your "cookies to save" at that time also.

I also advise that at Options > Advanced check the option to save settings to INI file. This will help save all your settings in a file called (cc)leaner.ini in your C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder .

What OS, edition and version are you using. WinXP Professional?, Home? , SP1? Sp2 or SP3 ? Or Vista Home, SP1 ? etc. Most of this will be listed at the top of your CCleaner window.

Edited by davey

Volland,

Since you are using Firefox 3.x your problem will have to be handled as you are currently doing.

Maybe the next version of CCleaner will help you.

The problem right now is how Firefox is handling the "cookies" that it processes. It is keeping these cookies in a different area than what was standard before.

Hello Davey, sounds like that is what is happening.

It is not really a big problem, all I have to do is click three times and the TV station works fine...

Take care, Upageya

Bean,

Did you uncheck the option to clean Adobe Flash Player at Cleaner > Applications tab > Multimedia list like hazelnut suggested ? This protects all "flash cookies" that are special to Adobe/Macromedia Flash Player. These type of cookies have nothing to do with what is listed in Cleaner > Windows tab > Internet Explorer.

Your normal Cookies are kept in an area that is special for Internet Explorer. Some other users that had your problem only resolved it by re-installing IE7. However, I am still not certain that what you are describing is not related to Adobe "Flash Cookies".

What "cookies" show in the list of "Cookies to be deleted" at Options > Cookies after running CCleaner? This list should be empty if things are happening as you describe. After browsing see what is shown there before running CCleaner. You might as well set up your "cookies to save" at that time also.

I also advise that at Options > Advanced check the option to save settings to INI file. This will help save all your settings in a file called (cc)leaner.ini in your C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder .

What OS, edition and version are you using. WinXP Professional?, Home? , SP1? Sp2 or SP3 ? Or Vista Home, SP1 ? etc. Most of this will be listed at the top of your CCleaner window.

Thanks davey!

It says I have XP sp3, but the XP package it came in says XP pro. All I can tell you is I have CC set with CC> Windows> and under the Internet Explorer nothing is checked, not one thing. But, when I run CC, then go back to IE> Internet Option>Cookies the folder is emptied out completely. I have close to 20 sites that I then have to go back to and re-enter usernames and passwords which is to much of a pain to ever try running CC again.

Unfortunately, the only way to follow any suggestions is to risk having to go through this process over and over. Not doing it.

I appreciate your efforts and have no doubt CC is a quality product, I just need a cleaner that when told to leave cookies alone will do just that.

Thanks again,

bean

bean, please go to start then Control Panel then Regional and Language Options and let us know what language you are using

I am using English (United States)

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

bean, please go to start then Control Panel then Regional and Language Options and let us know what language you are using

I am using English (United States)

yokenny, thanks for taking the time to respond but seriously, with all the cleaners out there why would I risk tweaking this one to get it to do what it says it already does? It clearly has the option to ignore cleaning IE, but if you set it that way it goes ahead and cleans IE against your wishes.

With a cost of about 20-30 mins to repair the damage done, why bother.

Again thanks for your generosity, I wish it worked for me.

bean

P.S. They don't speak english in Canada, do they? LOL