Return to Piriform.com

Photo

What Anti-Virus do you use

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

Poll: What AV do you use? (245 member(s) have cast votes)

What AV do you use?

1. Antivir (42 votes [16.73%])

Percentage of vote: 16.73%

2. Avast (62 votes [24.70%])

Percentage of vote: 24.70%

3. BitDefender (2 votes [0.80%])

Percentage of vote: 0.80%

4. ClamWin (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. eTrust (0 votes [0.00%])

6. F-Prot (0 votes [0.00%])

7. F-Secure (1 votes [0.40%])

Percentage of vote: 0.40%

8. AVG/Grisoft (15 votes [5.98%])

Percentage of vote: 5.98%

9. Kaspersky (16 votes [6.37%])

Percentage of vote: 6.37%

10. McAfee (5 votes [1.99%])

Percentage of vote: 1.99%

11. Nod32 (26 votes [10.36%])

Percentage of vote: 10.36%

12. Norton (16 votes [6.37%])

Percentage of vote: 6.37%

13. Panda (3 votes [1.20%])

Percentage of vote: 1.20%

14. TrendMicro (3 votes [1.20%])

Percentage of vote: 1.20%

15. Voted Microsoft Security Essentials (23 votes [9.16%])

Percentage of vote: 9.16%

16. Other (24 votes [9.56%])

Percentage of vote: 9.56%

17. Voted None (13 votes [5.18%])

Percentage of vote: 5.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 OFFLINE Nergal

Nergal

Volunteer CCleaner Demon/Post Meddler

• Moderators
  • 6,102 posts
  • Interests:being grumpier
    Laughing
    Crying
    Sleep comes Later though.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Also you shouldn't announce infriging on a license on a well traveled public forum
ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION
DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.
Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)
ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.
CCLEANER, RECUVA, DEFRAGGLER AND SPECCY DOCUMENTATION CAN BE FOUND AT www.piriform.com/docs
Link to Winapp2.ini explanation

#242 OFFLINE JTD121

JTD121

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

While I am aware that I shouldn't advertise using a former employers' key for something, I can also get the same software without said former employers' key.

And I am aware of the multi-firewall conflicts. I am not sure Symantecs' firewall is better than Windows Firewall on XP, but it's better than nothing, especially since I finally figured out how to set rules (wasn't particularly intuitive until a few updates ago).

I wonder, what is more effective, a per-PC firewall (possibly with different rules for different users), or a network-wide firewall (thinking m0n0wall and pf-Sense-class soft/hardware)?

Currently running a WRT54G w/ Tomato on it, though whatever firewall rules are default there are running.

#243 OFFLINE Corona

Corona

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

I'm sorry but I can't help laughing whenever I read something's got Tomato on it. I'm sure it's a fine program but I've never heard of it before and you keep mentioning it like it's common knowledge. Posted Image

#244 OFFLINE Nergal

Nergal

Volunteer CCleaner Demon/Post Meddler

• Moderators
  • 6,102 posts
  • Interests:being grumpier
    Laughing
    Crying
    Sleep comes Later though.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Software plus hardware firewall is fine (and better)
Two Firewalls on a single device causes mad troubles (Internet slowdowns, not everything being properly blocked, unreleated to firewall software hangs)

Attached File  tomato.jpg   29.67KB   6 downloads

in my day we used an onion, cause that was the fashion

Also this is the AV thread not the firewall thread
ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION
DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.
Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)
ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.
CCLEANER, RECUVA, DEFRAGGLER AND SPECCY DOCUMENTATION CAN BE FOUND AT www.piriform.com/docs
Link to Winapp2.ini explanation

#245 OFFLINE JTD121

JTD121

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Tomato is a Linux-based alternative firmware for (originally) Linksys WRT54G routers.

And I mentioned the firewall, as it came with Symantec Endpoint Protection. The advice was extra. :)

#246 OFFLINE Super Fast

Super Fast

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:18 PM

I have had no problems with AVG so far.

#247 OFFLINE Corona

Corona

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

Malwarebytes Anti Malware kicks butt over AVG. How can you not compare and contrast? Is that the problem? Comparing and contrasting?

#248 ONLINE hazelnut

hazelnut

try to stay calm

• Moderators
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:55 AM

Nope that's not the problem.

The problem is Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus. You run it alongside an anti-virus :)
CCLEANER, RECUVA, DEFRAGGLER AND SPECCY DOCUMENTATION CAN BE FOUND HERE

http://www.piriform.com/docs

#249 OFFLINE Alan_B

Alan_B

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

The problem is Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus. You run it alongside an anti-virus :)

I knew that Free Malwarebytes did not real-time scanning and should co-exist with any (or most) anti-virus.
Does the Professional Malwarebytes, which I believe includes real-time protection, also co-exist with any (or most) anti-virus ?

#250 ONLINE hazelnut

hazelnut

try to stay calm

• Moderators
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

I knew that Free Malwarebytes did not real-time scanning and should co-exist with any (or most) anti-virus.
Does the Professional Malwarebytes, which I believe includes real-time protection, also co-exist with any (or most) anti-virus ?

Yes.

It's an idea to exlude the av from mbam in its 'ignore list'

#251 OFFLINE Super Fast

Super Fast

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Malwarebytes Anti Malware kicks butt over AVG. How can you not compare and contrast? Is that the problem? Comparing and contrasting?

That depends on what you call kicking butt. Have you used AVG 2012 (as opposed to the older versions 2009, 2010, etc?). There are a number of improvements in the newer versions, & also no antivirus is perfect, Norton nearly takes over your PC & slows it down, while McAfee just doesn't seem to ever work right for me (meaning protection wise).

Avast seems to have a higher false positive rate, & has trouble removing certain things it finds, while Avira has to have a global policy set to block the daily advertisement in the Avira folder.

AVG seems to use few system resources & does a decent job.
_____

Things to remember when talking about an Antivirus:

* All Antiviruses use Definition sets (Constantly updated to keep up with new viruses.)
* Most Antiviruses include Heuristics (Try to find viruses based on pattern behavior.)
_____

Now, as you might imagine, there are problems with both of these approaches regardless of AV vendor. Definition based means if a new virus comes out, you can be infected before the update for it is pushed out.

Heuristics sometimes flag false positives & delete files that aren't viruses. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
_____

When comparing AVG (Or any AV, really) to Malwarebytes, you have to remember that AVG is an Anti-VIRUS while Malwarebytes is an Anti-MALWARE program.
Meaning, what they look for is different.

You could also go out on a limb & say that Webroot Spysweeper kicks Malwarebytes butt. But that would be irrevelant, because Spy Sweeper installs itself in such a way that there have been problems with a number of installations due to how they protect their definition sets folder & install in a certain way that can cause certain computers to crash.

I was experimenting earlier with it years back, & their definitions are virtually impossible to manually move or update because they are marked system/read only/etc/etc.
They have some other protection as well, because it is impossible to move the files in that folder. Always errors out. Unless you use Unlocker or some other program. To date, I have not had time to experiment to see what attribute or feature is causing this, but I might try again sometime in the future.
_____

Malwarebytes does not generally cause these problems, so to just say Malwarebytes is better because you had a positive experience with it doesn't make sense.
If you have certain malware, yes it is a good program & yes it does find quite a bit. But I have also seen malware that Malwarebytes could not fix & had to use Combofix or some other utility to remove it.
_____

Hope this clarifies things a bit & helps you realize the difference in the two. Not necessarily better, just a different type of nasties it looks for...

#252 OFFLINE nikki605

nikki605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

Switched to Norton at the beginning of this year. So far, so good. No major issues. Also use the free versions of Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware.

Had major system slowdown & conflict issues with my previous a/v.
WinXP Pro SP3 Desktop (Speccy) - Win7 Pro x64 SP1 Laptop (Speccy) - WinXP Pro SP3 Laptop (Speccy)

#253 OFFLINE nodles

nodles

Power Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Which AV did you use previously?

#254 OFFLINE nikki605

nikki605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

BitDefender. It messed up the Windows Indexing function and many of the user settings would not hold... reboots & product updates would lose the user settings.
WinXP Pro SP3 Desktop (Speccy) - Win7 Pro x64 SP1 Laptop (Speccy) - WinXP Pro SP3 Laptop (Speccy)

#255 OFFLINE Super Fast

Super Fast

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

Nikki, I used Norton before, but I detested the way it infested everything in the computer, & tried to be a little do it all app with it's own firewall, A/V, cleanup utility, etc. Have had it flag a few false positives, but overall, nothing too major usually.

Besides that, I hated how the subscription key would run out & you'd have to but another one in 3 to 6 months.

AVG free subscription lasts a year & is lite on resources. Gives relatively few problems.

#256 OFFLINE nikki605

nikki605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

On both my WinXP desktop & Win7 x64 laptop, I found NIS to be lighter on system resources than BDAV. So far there have been no false positives. The subscription I have is for a year and hasn't nagged me any sooner.

Over the years, I have been through several a/v products. At first, most were OK. But over the years and new releases, most developed problems that forced me to move on. Only time will tell if I change my mind about NIS. ;)

#257 ONLINE hazelnut

hazelnut

try to stay calm

• Moderators
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

nikki605 you put things in a nutshell there really.

Quite often what works well for one person doesn't for another.

Most of us on here, like you, have been through different avs over the years. I just use whatever works well with the software on my pc at the time. Some avs are labelled as rubbish by users when in fact it's software conflict that is causing the problems.

Also some avs are just badly designed and not user friendly.

#258 OFFLINE nikki605

nikki605

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

I agree with - "I just use whatever works well with the software on my pc at the time.". Discussing a/v products can be as argumentative as religion and politics. I try to avoid those discussions. ;)

The one basic rule I do follow is NOT to have multiple a/v programs with real time protection installed at the same time. The biggest problem I have found is uninstalling an a/v program. Even using the company's "removal tool" will sometimes leave remnants behind - files, folders but mostly Registry entries. I've spent hours carefully investigating and manually removing leftover Registry entires. I've also found leftover hidden System Devices in Device Manager. :angry:

#259 OFFLINE EPL_Piriform

EPL_Piriform

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

I have COMODO Internet Security Premium.

#260 OFFLINE Super Fast

Super Fast

Super Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I have heard bad stories about Comodo. Seems to be a mixed bag. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it don't. Hopefully, newer versions are changing this.