CCleaner and Cookies

Keithuk

Now I've been using CCleaner for a couple of years without any problems with any version. Now I normally do a clean once a week and a couple of weeks ago I did a clean and shut the computer down. The next day all these 40 forum sites that I use all needed to be logged in again. Now before I logged in I opened CC and checked what was in my cookies to keep listbox and they were all listed as normal. So I logged back in to all my 40 forums and check CC again and no new ones were showing up in cookies to delete listbox.

I start back to work today after my 5 weeks holiday and when I start to use my 40 forums on WinXP I have to loggin on everyone again. Now I don't know if this is a quirk or what but it appears strange I have to loggin everything again and this as never happened before.

Anyone else had this problem? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I notice that sometimes.

Maybe it has to do with browsers other than IE?

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I notice that sometimes.

Maybe it has to do with browsers other than IE?

Thanks for the reply Kenny but I use IE6.0 at home and work. How many different browsers do you use? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

How many different browsers do you use?
Just two but really they are the same which is IE7 and IE8.

I notice that I have to Log in after I run Glary Utilities Free as it changes something even though I have selected it not to clean the cookies.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Now I've been using CCleaner for a couple of years without any problems with any version. Now I normally do a clean once a week and a couple of weeks ago I did a clean and shut the computer down. The next day all these 40 forum sites that I use all needed to be logged in again. Now before I logged in I opened CC and checked what was in my cookies to keep listbox and they were all listed as normal. So I logged back in to all my 40 forums and check CC again and no new ones were showing up in cookies to delete listbox.

I start back to work today after my 5 weeks holiday and when I start to use my 40 forums on WinXP I have to loggin on everyone again. Now I don't know if this is a quirk or what but it appears strange I have to loggin everything again and this as never happened before.

Hi Keith,

Are you saying that this occurred on both your home Win98SE system and your work WinXP system ?

Or which system ?

:) davey

Just two but really they are the same which is IE7 and IE8.

I didn't know you can have two versions of IE running at the same time. Any updates normally overwrite the existing ones. :o

Are you saying that this occurred on both your home Win98SE system and your work WinXP system ?

Or which system ?

Both systems Davey home and work I have to loggin again all my 40 forums. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I didn't know you can have two versions of IE running at the same time. Any updates normally overwrite the existing ones.
They are two different systems.

IE7Pro user

They are two different systems.

Not really they are both Internet Explorer made by Microsoft.

The default IE with Win98SE is IE4.0. I've been using my ISP for 8 years and on their CD they have IE5.5 as an update. But when you install IE5.5 it doesn't leave 4.0 behind so you can use it if you want too it overwrites it so you still only have one browser. The same goes when I upgraded to IE6.0, 5.5 disappears and 6.0 overwrites it and the same goes for IE6.0 SP1. So I can't see how you can have IE7.0 and IE8.0 installed at the same time. From what I see of IE7.0 its a load of s*** compared with 6.0. Who in there right mind put and address bar at the top of the screen? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

System A CPU 500MHZ PIII running IE8 beta2 with XP Pro SP3

System B CPU 2.4GHZ P4 running IE7 with XP Home SP3

System C CPU 2.8GHZ P4 running IE7 with XP Pro SP3

From what I see of IE7.0 its a load of s*** compared with 6.0. Who in there right mind put and address bar at the top of the screen?
I don't now about you but I read from left to right starting at the top left so I like important things at the top and less important things like the Status Bar at the bottom.

Where do you like it?

IE7Pro user

I don't now about you but I read from left to right starting at the top left so I like important things at the top and less important things like the Status Bar at the bottom.

Where do you like it?

Yes I'm the same. Titlebar at the top. Menubar File, Edit, View etc next. Action buttons Back, Forward, Stop, Refresh, Home etc next then the Addressbar. Not the Addressbar at the top under Titlebar, I wouldn't mind so much if you could move it but you can't. :(;)

You have these IE's on different computers thats why you can say that.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I'm trying Google Chrome on my old PIII with this post and so far I like it.

I haven't figured out why it red underlines some spell check words like PIII or how to put it into a dictionary but I guess there will be a forum set up for it in a while.

I'm off to see a local Acupucture doctor as my right hip is driving me nuts right now and last time I had a treatment it worked great but I had to pay for it myself as our Medical system did not pay for it at that time.

IE7Pro user

I didn't know you can have two versions of IE running at the same time. Any updates normally overwrite the existing ones. :o

Both systems Davey home and work I have to loggin again all my 40 forums. ;)

Wow !!! Unless it is something that you have unknowingly done.

I can understand the Work PC being some sort of administrative thing going on.

But happening on your Home PC seems like something malicious going on.

Keep us filled in.

I'm off to see a local Acupucture doctor as my right hip is driving me nuts right now and last time I had a treatment it worked great but I had to pay for it myself as our Medical system did not pay for it at that time.
No wonder I have been having pain in my right hip.

I have a pinched Sciatic Nerve as the result whip-lash suffered in rear end car crash I suffered back in '96 that has not healed properly.

I visited a Chinese Physical Therapist near me that had an opening at 11:00am that I went to. I was in there almost 1.5 hours while he applied Acupuncture needles in key points then put me under a heat lamp for 15 minutes then massaged my neck, back and legs. I am going back there next Wednesday for another treatment.

I walked out of there feeling like jelly and the pain in my hip is now slight so I have to go to a drug store to get a heating pad and top up my supply of Ibuprofen.

IE7Pro user

Wow !!! Unless it is something that you have unknowingly done.

Nope.

But happening on your Home PC seems like something malicious going on.

Keep us filled in.

There is nothing malicious on my home computer as I've said before I have Uninstall Manager therefore I know virtually all files and what they do.

I'll keep you informed if it happens again. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I have noticed the same problem that you have. After I upgraded to the latest version (v2.11.636) every time that I run it , it wipes out all of my saved preferences and login info for websites. All of the cookies to keep are still saved like they were before. It is like the program is totally ignoring the command to keep those cookies and throwing everything away. I wish somebody would look into this because it is really annoying to have to login and save your preferences at multiple websites all of the time. Other than that I think CCleaner is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Welcome to Piriform memberinmo.

I have noticed the same problem that you have. After I upgraded to the latest version (v2.11.636) every time that I run it , it wipes out all of my saved preferences and login info for websites. All of the cookies to keep are still saved like they were before. It is like the program is totally ignoring the command to keep those cookies and throwing everything away. I wish somebody would look into this because it is really annoying to have to login and save your preferences at multiple websites all of the time. Other than that I think CCleaner is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Well I'm glad someone else has noticed this and its not just me. Though to be fair its only happened the once. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform memberinmo.

Well I'm glad someone else has noticed this and its not just me. Though to be fair its only happened the once. ;)

I've ran CCleaner twice since I installed the latest version and it did it to me both times. I could probably turn off cleaning cookies and keep it from happening but that is one of the best features of CCleaner.

I'm sure if you run it again it will do to you again. I hope they do a bug fix soon and release an updated version.

I've ran CCleaner twice since I installed the latest version and it did it to me both times. I could probably turn off cleaning cookies and keep it from happening but that is one of the best features of CCleaner.

I'm sure if you run it again it will do to you again. I hope they do a bug fix soon and release an updated version.

Hi memberinmo,

Welcome to all in mo :D "Show me" mo ?

Thank you for your report.

This may help if there is a "bug".

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Snap shot of your Cleaner Windows tab and Applications tab.

Thanks again,

P.S. I use WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit and I have not been able to create this situation.

P.S. I believe both of you. Just need an idea what your settings are.

Believe me , I get no fun out of retyping or re-entering anything. I would make a copy of my "Cookies" folder with all the good and 'junk" cookies if needs be so I wouldn't have to re-enter all that stuff again.

I would also recommend using the prior version from here if it continues. Fill us in with what happens with that also.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/4461/

Edited by davey

Well I've said before I generally use CC once a week. I installed the latest version two or three weeks ago. I did a clean at the time just to check any differences and every web site contected ok without loggin in. The following week I did a clean and the next day everything worked ok. Last week I did a clean and I had to log back in on every web site not just the odd one, but all my original cookies where still there.

Yes I can post a screenshot of my Cleaner tab and Applications tab if it will help in any way Davey. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hi memberinmo,

Welcome to all in mo :D "Show me" mo ?

Thank you for your report.

This may help if there is a "bug".

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Thanks again,

P.S. I use WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit and I have not been able to create this situation.

Believe me , I get no fun out of retyping or re-entering anything. I would make a copy of my "Cookies" folder with all the good and 'junk" cookies if needs be so I wouldn't have to re-enter all that stuff again.

I would also recommend using the prior version from here if it continues. Fill us in with what happens with that also.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/4461/

Here is a screenshot of CCleaner with the Windows tab, there is really nothing on the Applications tab that could be afffecting anything. My system is WinXP Home SP3 32-bit.

post-23099-1220966731_thumb.jpg

I had already thought about reverting back to an older version, I have the last 8 versions sittting in my downloads folder so it would be easy to do. I always save old versions because new is not always better. I had never had this happen until the latest version.

post-23099-1220966731_thumb.jpg

What browser are you using?

I notice that you are using Full screen because I spy with my little eye the two overlapped squares in your pic you posted.

I haven't used Full screen since DOS days.

I learned that in Windows there are things like Tile Windows Horizontally, Tile Windows Vertically and size a Window by dragging the edge to as wide or tall as you want leaving the Windows overlapping so that I can change to a background Window really quickly.

Once you start using Windows the way it was designed you will be amazed at how many things you can do at once without having to remember where you left that last Full screen Window.

IE7Pro user

What browser are you using?

I notice that you are using Full screen because I spy with my little eye the two overlapped squares in your pic you posted.

I learned that in Windows there are things like Tile Windows Horizontally, Tile Windows Vertically and size a Window by dragging the edge to as wide or tall as you want leaving the Windows overlapping so that I can change to a background Window really quickly.

Once you start using Windows the way it was designed you will be amazed at how many things you can do at once without having to remember where you left that last Full screen Window.

I am using Maxthon for a browser. That is really irrelevant though as opening CCleaner doesn't happen inside of the browser, you can size the window of it however you like. I opened it up and used Photoscape to capture a screenshot.

I prefer to use most programs utilizing the whole screen if possible. The only thing that I find window tiling useful for is working with spreadsheets. I run the taskbar on auto-hide and keep on top of other windows, this makes it really easy to access any of your open programs and still be able to see everything in them. You have to do entirely too much scrolling when using sized windows to see all of the info in them. Just my opinion though, everybody does what works best for them.

I also don't like to keep a lot of shortcuts on my desktop, I put them in my Quick Launch bar instead accessible through the taskbar. I don't like a lot of clutter.

Please be informed that I use Vista Home Edition 64-bit French (living in Switzerland). Since I installed IE8 Beta 2, all my saved cookies are ignored and wiped out when I restart my very standard 6GB test PC.

Mine are cut and paste because I only use a 800x600 screen.

Anyway here are my two pics for Davey. ;)

post-13005-1220992741_thumb.jpg

post-13005-1220993431_thumb.jpg

post-13005-1220992741_thumb.jpg

post-13005-1220993431_thumb.jpg

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best