Norton Anti-Virus - how to uninstall?

kaybee

My daughter bought a laptop with Norton Anti-virus pre-installed, when the licence expired I installed AVG8 for her - I've used AVG for ages and always liked it.

When I tried to install it a message appeared saying that it was inadvisable to run 2 AV programs together. I tried uninstalling Norton - NIGHTMARE!! - you need to create an account, get a registration number, follow all steps........ blah blah blah.....................!! :(

Tried using the CCleaner uninstaller, the process just froze after a few minutes and said Norton uninstall had been unsuccessful!

The only thing I could do was to delete the start-up entry for Norton and then install AVG, which seems to have worked.

This is fine but is only a work-around, surely there must be a simpler way of uninstalling Norton? :blink:

Anyone out there got a fix, or does she have to 'live with it'?

• Moderators

You really need to remove Norton with the correct Uninstall Tool. You can find the correct tool for your version at this link:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...&view=docid

If you haven't removed it properly, the only way to do so may be to reinstall it, and then to use the correct tool.

Norton does stretch it's tentacles into a lot of places, and you may get future problems if there's a lot of stuff left behind. It's hard to say, but it's usually best to get rid of it properly.

I can't express strongly enough how much I hate Symantec. They have their crap on almost every machine you buy from a store or manufacturer. They pay big bucks to them to put Norton AV on there. My last Dell laptop purchase I made sure that crap was not installed. I actually had to argue with the clowns at Dell about it. Finally I told them it's very simple. Do as I ask or shove the computer your a......

I can't believe how many people I know that think Norton is just great. Ask them how may AV's they have ever tried and they say none no need to because Norton is the best. I say why do you think that and they say because it comes with all the machines that you buy so it must be the best. I than ask them if their mothers had any children that lived :lol:

That is one of the things that The PC Decrapifier targets:

http://pcdecrapifier.com

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
My last Dell laptop purchase I made sure that crap was not installed. I actually had to argue with the clowns at Dell about it.

I also had a discussion with them about not putting third-party garbage on my HDD but they stated they couldn't do that back in 2003. So the day I got my PC I formatted the HDD to remove stuff like McAfee, etc.

I also had a discussion with them about not putting third-party garbage on my HDD but they stated they couldn't do that back in 2003. So the day I got my PC I formatted the HDD to remove stuff like McAfee, etc.

While I was arguing with them they insisted they couldn't do it either. They "offered" to send me an empty HD and all the the disks I need to install what I want. I said sure if you knock of a nice percentage of the purchase price for the extra work I have to do. The install disks YOU WILL be sending me any ways so don't sound like it's a special favour to me. Of course they said no. So I explained to them the fundamentals of our relationship. I pay you give me what I want. You aren't doing me a favour by selling me the machine A$$ hole. Once I got a manager on the phone I was given a code number for a "no software option". No trial junk or AV or any of the crap would be installed on my machine. So I ask the guy if a "no software option" exists and actually has a code for it why did they insist they couldn't do it for me? He starts giving me a bunch of BS so I cut him off and told him not to waste his breath because he had lost all credibility with me. I also informed him that if my machine came with any of the junk that I didn't want I would send it back immediately. It came and did not have the junk on it.

I also informed him that if my machine came with any of the junk that I didn't want I would send it back immediately. It came and did not have the junk on it.

That's why I like dealing with my local PC shop because I get what I want with no argument and no extra fluff and the same system specifications for quite a bit cheaper plus I get to talk face to face with someone that speaks Canadian EH!

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

That's why I like dealing with my local PC shop because I get what I want with no argument and no extra fluff and the same system specifications for quite a bit cheaper plus I get to talk face to face with someone that speaks Canadian EH!

A local yokel, EH! Wins every time.

:) davey

Once I got a manager on the phone I was given a code number for a "no software option". No trial junk or AV or any of the crap would be installed on my machine. So I ask the guy if a "no software option" exists and actually has a code for it why did they insist they couldn't do it for me?

What did you SAY THAT CODE NUMBER IS ??? I am sure we are all dying to know, at least I am.

What did you SAY THAT CODE NUMBER IS ??? I am sure we are all dying to know, at least I am.

Sure I will give it to you. It's not top secret. I ordered it on October 14, 2006

If you ever bought a Dell they send you an Itemized bill/receipt. It lists all the hardware and software features. You have the description of the item, quantity and item number. There is also a two letter code in front of the description.

This is how the item is listed on my receipt. 412-0379 OA No Software Package

Sure I will give it to you. It's not top secret. I ordered it on October 14, 2006

If you ever bought a Dell they send you an Itemized bill/receipt. It lists all the hardware and software features. You have the description of the item, quantity and item number. There is also a two letter code in front of the description.

This is how the item is listed on my receipt. 412-0379 OA No Software Package

OK! OA Bookmarked.

May come in handy soon.

"Somebody" just learned how to use "Delete all" button on Delete Browsing History...

There went my Autocomplete Form History and good "Cookies".

However, I guess I have to forgive him. "Somebody" has also been browsing the Dell PC webpage. :P

OK! OA Bookmarked.

May come in handy soon.

OA is not the code 412-0379 is. OA is just the two letters in front of the item description. Other items also had OA in front of them. 412-0379 is the item number for the No Software Package. At least it was when I purchased the machine on October 2006.

I'd like to know the description of OA. I can think of one Ordered Angry, when they told you no. :lol:

Either that or Obnoxious Ahole. I am sure that is what they thought of me after I told them to give me what I want or they could shove the machine up their poop chute :angry: These companies never stop amazing me. They act like it's a privilege for you to be buying their products and you should be grateful to them for selling it to you. GM and Ford thought that way for years and they are dying their much deserved deaths as I type this. Does my heart good to see it happening to them to.

So am I right in thinking you guys don't like Norton? :)
Peter Norton is OK but he sold out to Symantec:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Norton

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
So am I right in thinking you guys don't like Norton? :)

I disliked it so much I had removal scripts for years when asked to clean up peoples PC's that wanted it really off their systems - of course that meant I had to have watched installations of it to know what left overs to zap. They put more crumbs on a system than a cookie factory could produce.

Of course that's back in the early days of AVG Free, and when Computer Associates had the precursor to eTrust Antivirus called InoculateIT PE which was free (if only CA still made a superlite AV like that now but I guess it bloated for OS support).

My daughter bought a laptop with Norton Anti-virus pre-installed...

Go see, might help? :)

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=17564

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

You 'aint paying attention. :rolleyes::)

Already covered in post No.3.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=112611

Yea but that update was not announced until September 1, 2008 so I think that it was good to add the cross reference.

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
Yea but that update was not announced until September 1, 2008 so I think that it was good to add the cross reference.

I didn't say it wasn't.

The post was made for no other reason than to inject a little bit of humour, something I've seen you practice on more than one occassion.

You 'aint paying attention. :rolleyes::)

Already covered in post No.3.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=112611

Story of my life... :lol:

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG!! :o

(HP Laptop running Windows VISTA Home Premium)

I've run the Norton removal tool that you suggested and it went through all the stages and finally stated that Windows Firewall would need activating and to restart the computer.

Did all that - and when restarting it went through a checkdisk routine and eventually the Windows logon screen appeared. I typed in the password and clicked 'ok' and waited - the screen then went blank with just the cursor (arrow) showing. The hard drive light lit and then flickered for a while - then NOTHING!! :blink::(

By pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del the various options appeared (Switch User, Log Off etc etc) and I selected the Task manager - which appeared but didn't really tell me anything I could understand!

After 20 minutes, by which time it still hadn't started up, I decided to switch it off and am now in my daughters' bad books - she doesn't have a working computer.

IT WONT WORK - HELP!