System Tray items

Corona

I noticed for several years now some items just don't want to show up in the System Tray in the Taskbar anymore, even though they load on startup. (Especially nVideas' icon. Pain in the neck because I'm always changing the brightness or gamma settings between games and the internet.) So, is there a trick or an app that can force them to show? :mellow:

No, it's more than that. The icons sometimes just don't show up at all, even if I have them set at "always show". But they show they're loaded when I check Autoruns and ProcessExplorer.

Have a look at item #53 right side and maybe #134 Undo:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

You could also try Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Taskbar_Repair_T...Plus_d4307.html

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

No, it's more than that. The icons sometimes just don't show up at all, even if I have them set at "always show". But they show they're loaded when I check Autoruns and ProcessExplorer.

I totally agree with that! In fact, on my Vista notebook, despite the fact that Windows Defender is set to show the icon and under Taskbar Properties Always Show is selected, it is never in the notification area unless I manually open WD.

• Moderators

I've noticed that behaviour sometimes after an AntiVir update when it restarts its resident applications the systray icon sometimes, but rarely won't show up again until I reboot, albeit the resident shield is actually running.

Thats because your running WinXP which is a pain in the a***.

I use Nvidia and all I do it right-click on my desktop and select Nvidia Display and I can change any settings I want too. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Thats because your running WinXP which is a pain in the a***.

I use Nvidia and all I do it right-click on my desktop and select Nvidia Display and I can change any settings I want too. ;)

Come on Keith, give us a break. We are stuck with WinXP. Please show some sensitivity to our plight. :(

We can do the same thing with WinXP but we are talking about the System Tray Items and not settings.

:) davey

Come on Keith, give us a break. Please show some sensitivity to our plight. :(

We can do the same thing with WinXP but we are talking about the System Tray Items and not settings.

:) davey

Yes I am being sensitivity. I'm just saying how my system works.

Ok then have you ever thought to what these icons are doing in the systray? Each icon is an application running in the background whether you need it or not. Each application uses system resources e.g. memory, so why have it running if you don't use it or need it? It like the MSN icon why the f*** have it running if your not using it. You don't need a sys icon you just click on the short-cut. ;)

Ok how many of you other guys and girls need to change your graphics display settings on a daily basis? No one apart from Corona. Sorry Corona I'm not getting at you I'm just wonder why you want it running all the time when you say you can right-click on your desktop to get the same results.

Well the other thing I would suggest is you run CCleaner and click on Tools\Startup and see if its listed to run on startup or does it have a No against it in the first column? If it does then change it to Yes.

If its not listed and Corona does want it back then the only other alternative is to re-install his graphic drivers and that should put it back in the Startup options.

We are stuck with WinXP.

Your choice Davey and friends. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Keith, the reason I like the nVidea icon in the sys tray instead of right-clicking on the desktop is because I can change my video settings with 5 clicks instead of 18 clicks. (I just counted them.)

And I have a reeeeeally old nVidea graphics card (geForce2 MX/MX 400). I just bought a new monitor. It might be a while before I shell out for a new vid card...unless you got some spare cash you're dying to send my way. :)

I have a reeeeeally old nVidea graphics card (geForce2 MX/MX 400).

Guess what you have the exact same graphics card as me, yes they are old. I bought mine second hand last year ?5 because my Voodoo 3 packed up.

Anyway you haven't really said what your system is, I'm presuming WinXP. Do you have the driver disk that came with the card? If you do then as I said before just re-install them.

If you don't have the driver disk then you can't download them directly anymore of Nvidia. I did last year but they aren't available on their site. Nvidia has a forum that I joined last year and they supplied a link for old Nvidia drivers.

Nvidia Geforce2 MX400 Drivers

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I have XP SP3 on an HP 9895 Pavillion desktop with a 1.7 P4 Intel and 512 ram. It came with WinME when I bought it new. The video driver came pre-installed (no disk). I've updated my nVidea drivers over the years, even rolled back a few times, always saved the driver installs as backups. I even have a v.26 driver install saved on my PC. I used to play Myst games a lot and it seemed every new game had newer specs so I found the driver site early on.

Those 2 links in that thread you linked to are really useful. I didn't know they had an early archive.

But reinstalling an earlier driver can affect some of the games and stuff that's newer that I use regularly. I don't want to chance that just in order to have a thingy in my sys tray.

You know what it might be....the newer drivers bring up an entire page when clicking on nVidea Control Panel. From there I have the option of choosing the older Classic control panel, which is the sys tray icon. It works, but it's not persistent. Every time I restart or reboot I have to do that whole process again.

I guess I'm stuck with it as long as I'm using newer drivers. (By newer I mean like v.62 etc.)

Hi Corona.

I used to play Myst games a lot and it seemed every new game had newer specs so I found the driver site early on.

I used to play Myst many years ago and if I can remember to spec for Myst was 245 colours only. So I have to change back to 256 colours before I used it.

Those 2 links in that thread you linked to are really useful. I didn't know they had an early archive.

No I didn't either. I originally downloaded them of Nvidia after I did a lot of intensive searching to find them.

Now you say you are using v26 but I don't see any 26 on there they are all newer. A site that I've always used for a few years is Driver Guide. It doesn't cost anything to join and you don't get any annoying spam. The only problem with Driver Guide is they don't always show a version number, just do a search.

You could always join the Nvidia forum as I did to ask questions. ;)

Edit: Ok I've had a play around with my system. If you right-click on your destop and select Nvidia Display and what ever your montior is you will get the adjustment screen up. Select Tools on the left screen and put a tick in Enable taskbar icon this will put the icon back in your Systray where you can adjust your settings.

I left the icon there and did a restart and when it starts up the icon is still in the Systray so it loads on startup as you want it too, well it works on Win98SE anyway. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best