I hate Ubuntu

YoKenny

I decided to give Ubunto a try as I had hard so much about it so I downloaded the huge ISO file and burned it to a CD.

I booted the CD on my trusty old PIII WinME system that was working just fine and I tried it just running from CD and it worked fine except it was real slow.

So I decided to install it to the fast 80GB SCSI hard drive and that's when the trouble began.

It took over one hour to install then it asked me to reboot which I did to be greeted with the dreaded:

Non-system disk or disk error

Replace and strike any key when ready

The only cure was a FDISK to remove the boot partition then add the partition back and install WinME which works fine except for the Soundblaster sound adapter that I have to find the drivers for on the very confusing Soundblaster site.

It is a Soundblaster Live! model CT4830 which it seems they don't provide drivers for the card anymore.

I Googled and found several sites that looked promising but I still can't find a driver download site and Driverguide looks promising so I'll see if anyone else can recommend a sit to download this driver.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators

You are right kenny it's a confusing driver world out there. This is the nearest I could get

http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/...wnload-549.html

Also here perhaps

http://www.kikkas-network.no/Webforum/foru...4f9&PID=9#9

Not sure Kenny if they are the right one.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ya might want to give thing site a try,,,,,,, its the best one i have found for legacy drivers that cant be found anyplace else,, http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/companies...p;bng=7&o=4 ... hope ya find it,, i have the same card,, and disk,, but there isnt anyway for me to upload anything that big,,,, im on dialup,,,, there is no other choices for internet service where i live,, satalite cost to much......

I googled using the search terms "CT4830 driver" (without the "" "") and found some sites that seemed to indicate that they had the driver for download.

Here's a link to one site

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/cre...830-driver.html

"Description

This download contains the last known drivers released for Creative Labs CT4830 Sound Blaster cards operating under Windows XP or 2000. The CT4830 was used mainly in the Creative Live! cards but it was also rebranded as an OEM card and sold under Sound Blaster Live! by Compaq, Intel, IBM and NEC.

Creative Labs have discontinued the production of CT4830 and this driver was released in 2003 - after you download the file, make sure you create a backup copy for future use. It contains the Creative Live drivers; Creative AudioHQ plus the Diagnose and Restore Default utilities.

Creative updated and released this SoundBlaster Live CT4830 driver on Feb 28, 2003."

then there's a link to click and download the driver, the link indicates it is connecting to ccftp.creative.com. Obviously, download at your own risk but I'm sure it is safe - Creative use that ccftp link for many of their downloads.

EDIT: I just realised this driver is for XP and 2000. I don't know if it is compatible for WinME.

Hope it is of some use anyway...

EDIT: I just realised this driver is for XP and 2000. I don't know if it is compatible for WinME.
That's the crux of the problem.

Any driver I downloaded it always indicated that it was for Windows 2000 or greater.

I finally had enough and took the system to my local PC shop where I had the system fixed the last time I had this problem over a year ago and he just laughed and said he had tried the same thing and that he could not get anything Windows to run on it.

I asked if he had any XP Home licenses left and he said he did so I asked him to install it. I'm not worried that it only has 256MB RAM as the 80GB SCSI hard drive is real fast but I do have a 512MB RAM module available if it needs it.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

About a month ago the kids at Digg had a riot over Creative Labs decision to keep their property from being manipulated by GPU (open source). Whether this affected ancient software support I don't know.

About a month ago the kids at Digg had a riot over Creative Labs decision to keep their property from being manipulated by GPU (open source). Whether this affected ancient software support I don't know.

I am not very sure of that because everything I found said to go to the PC manufacturer for Drivers .

I am am a newbie to PCs but it seems if I go to the PC manufacturer I always am able to get what I need on-line no forums or anything like that.

Maybe just lucky or it's the "Piriform Fairy" again.

:) davey

I think it's the Piriform fairy
I hope its not the Piriform Leprechaunlepdancescp.gif

IE7Pro user

• 2 weeks later...

Further developments:

A good read:

http://xkcd.com/456

I finally got the system back from the the PC repair shop with XP installed and it works OK but a bit slowly and the Soundblaster adapter works soundly.

That's OK as I will be using it to teach a senior friend in my apartment who wants to learn how to use a computer.

He could not get the hard drives to work on the SCSI interface even with the latest drivers he could find and I even tried it myself and all that happens is the XP starting window comes up with the oblong window that the little green boxes slide from left to right in but that is all that happens and no green boxes appear.

IE7Pro user