Clearing out System Volume Information, safely.

DennisD

• Moderators

I want to completely clear out all System Restore Information, and start afresh.

I've had the last two restore points fail completely, so they appear to be a waste of space, and I wouldn't want to restore any earlier than these two points anyway.

That sounds straightforward, but a little research tells me a number of different things.

1: Switching off System Restore completely would automatically clear all relevant System Volume Information, and achieve the result I want.

2: You can get software to carry out this task.

3: You can simply delete the entire folder if the permissions are OK, or sorted out to do this.

4: Don't delete the folder because there's more stuff in there than just System Restore Information. Stuff not recommended you discard.

All contributions gratefully accepted. :)

• Moderators
Perhaps a little read here Dennis may help (although I know the infected bit doesn't apply to you)

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=15265

Job done Hazel.

Disk Cleanup purged all but the new Restore Point and cleared out a 1gb System Volume Information folder to 48mb, and I now have one new Restore Point, and a clean start with System Restore.

Thanks again.

• Moderators
Hazelnut, you seem to know more about the innards of computers than the blokes around here.

Wish I did :)

We all have our strong points, mine is searching for info.

There are people on this forum who have loads of knowledge about different areas of computing. You've only to read and see the amount of help given here in different areas.

That's what makes it such an enjoyable forum.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Well, sad to say, I once found some info quicker than Hazel, so she demoted me back to member. :(

Hi Dennis,

Naughty! Naughty! Telling tales on Hazel like that.:wacko:

Your supposed to change it to say HONORED MEMBER or RESPECTED MEMBER or ACTIVE MEMBER or MEMBER not just Member.

Now,don't forget when you get things the way you want them then take a manual System Restore Point and then use Disk Cleanup > Advanced tab and delete all but the latest System Restore Points.That's how they flush all possibly infected System Restore Points after cleaning out malware and such.

Manually taken System Restore Points are your Friends :D

So are ERUNT backups. :Phttp://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/index.htm

My advice to new users.Get this program and others just as important.They will save you at your worst moments.

Read this link and associated link. http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=102905

:) davey

Edited by davey

• Moderators
Hi Dennis,

Now,don't forget when you get things the way you want them then take a manual System Restore Point and then use Disk Cleanup > Advanced tab and delete all but the latest System Restore Points.That's how they flush all possibly infected System Restore Points after cleaning out malware and such.

Davey I think you have missed the post where Dennis says he has just done that.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Davey I think you have missed the post where Dennis says he has just done that.

I wanted to emphasize getting a good clean System Restore Point before deleting the old ones.

Not so much for Dennis as the new users reading this thread.

:) davey

• Moderators
We all have our strong points, mine is searching for info.

If NASA really wants to find life in the cosmos, they'll need to employee you otherwise they'll be looking in all the wrong places. ;)

• Moderators
Why do I have the status of Advanced Member and Dennis only has Member yet he joined 4 days before me and has many more posts than I do? :blink: Am I a Stonecutter?

I have to ask.

In this context, what on earth is a Stonecutter? Is this a US thing, or should I get out more?

• Moderators
In this context, what on earth is a Stonecutter? Is this a US thing, or should I get out more?

Little ole me on the other side of the pond here in the U.S. is in the same boat as you and I haven't a clue what it means either. ;)

McAfee QuickClean - part of the many tools of the totally awesome McAfee VirusScan Plus (antivirus, antispyware, firewall) or similar McAfee products :) Deletes (amongst other things) all your older system restore points and sometimes the newer ones too, but she be good!!

Windows 7 - Office 2010 - Internet Explorer 9

All better than the versions preceding them :D

• Moderators
McAfee QuickClean - part of the many tools of the totally awesome [McAfee VirusScan Plus (antivirus, antispyware, firewall) or similar McAfee products :) Deletes (amongst other things) all your older system restore points and sometimes the newer ones too, but she be good!!

Like perhaps the restore point before it was installed so now you can't get rid of it. :lol::P