another RAM tool I think you'll approve.

slowday444

So last year, even though I never seem to run into any malware, I renew my subscription to AVG Anti-Spware because of its memory scan returning "leaked" RAM. I didn't realize my MemInfo could do the same thing. I always have over one half of my 1gig but I'm a RAMaholic. So I discover RAM Def XT which does the same thing in about 40 seconds (it's definitely a keeper!). But this little gem you'll really love! Now every 30 seconds sounds a little much but you never even notice it or you can just adjust it yourself in scheduling. I made it every two hours.

This program runs behind the scenes in Task Manager. How are you able to tweak it?

Thanks for the link, Slowday. I've only had this running for a short time, but it seems like a great little program -- quite different from any other memory manager I've ever tried.

Actually, Corona, there's not a lot of tweaking to do -- and this is not a memory resident program running all the time in the background. Actually, it's only called for about every 30 minutes (default) by the Windows Task Scheduler -- runs for just a few seconds -- then goes away. If you want to change the frequency it runs, you can do so in Windows Task Scheduler (Advanced).

By the way, I would suggest that anybody interested in trying this program should read the info on the website -- it was written by the app creator. He gives some insight as to how it works.

Now every 30 seconds sounds a little much but you never even notice it or you can just adjust it yourself in scheduling. I made it every two hours.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the default setting is 30 minutes -- not 30 seconds.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the default setting is 30 minutes -- not 30 seconds.

Typo, I did mean minutes. I just installed this on my Vista notebook and it seems to really make a nice difference on it. I left it at 30 minutes and have the XP at every hour now.

Its not a bad little utility but it does make Windows Defender pop up an event when it runs.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I don't use Windows Defender, so I have experienced that problem.

I've only been using it since yesterday when Slowday posted it, but so far, it seems like a slick little memory utility -- very different from other memory managers. It's totally transparent and doesn't use any resources -- just shows up periodically and very quickly does its thing -- then disappears again. Nothing to set -- nothing to fiddle with. Seems like an especially GREAT solution for anyone experiencing memory leak problems.

don't use Windows Defender, so I have experienced that problem.
Windows Defender comes standard with Vista but has to be downloaded and installed for XP and I like it.

Seems like an especially GREAT solution for anyone experiencing memory leak problems.
At my advancing age I can use all the help I can get. :lol:

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Okay, will somebody please point me in the direction of the nearest Windows task scheduler. I keep ending up in Windows/System32. I don't see it and no way am I gonna touch anything in there.

Okay, will somebody please point me in the direction of the nearest Windows task scheduler. I keep ending up in Windows/System32. I don't see it and no way am I gonna touch anything in there.

Here goes:

Start / Control Panel / (switch to 'classic view' on the left) / Scheduled Tasks

fireryone

"RAM Optimizers have no effect, and at worst, they seriously degrade performance. Although gaining more available memory might seem beneficial, it isn't. As RAM Optimizers force the available-memory counter up, they force other processes' data and code out of memory. Say that you're running Word, for example. As the optimizer forces the available-memory counter up, the text of open documents and the program code that was part of Word's working set before the optimization (and was therefore present in physical memory) must be reread from disk as you continue to edit your document. The act of allocating, then freeing a large amount of virtual memory might, as a conceivable side effect, lead to blocks of contiguous available memory. However, because virtual memory masks the layout of physical memory from processes, processes can't directly benefit from having virtual memory backed by contiguous physical memory. As processes execute and undergo working-set trimming and growth, their virtual-memory-to-physical-memory mappings will become fragmented despite the availability of contiguous memory."

Sources: Page 1 and Page 2.

Mark Russinovich is definitely the best and most reliable source for Windows Internals.

Mark Russinovich is definitely the best and most reliable source for Windows Internals.

Please don't copy from other sources it just junks up the forum.

Please provide your comment and link.

This subject has to be "searched" on the forum first.Then read.

:) davey

CleanMem is gone from my XP Pro system!

I did not notice any system performance improvement as it appeared to slow down in fact.

IE7Pro user

But cleanmem isnt the same as other memory cleaners. Other memory cleaners are fake as they simply use up all ram there is forcing windows to release ram and move it to the page file.

Cleanmem simply runs 1 api call and lets windows handle the rest.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682606(VS.85).aspx

which if you used cleanmem and watched your page file and virtual memory settings neither grow at all, and in fact the page file drops by a few mb.

The memory that is unused windows simply cleans up, the process can then take it back when it is needed. This is why you actually see a increase in free memory.

Nothing huge but when you have a exe with a memory leak a tool that can tell windows to go clean it up is the trick.

I have been a programmer for many years and know windows memory very well. I also know how much of a pain it is, this program doesnt clean the memory it asks windows to. Since windows is in charge of keeping things clean it makes sence to have windows do the work.

But please before you bash and shoot down a program that you havent even tested and verified please do your homework on why people are even talking about this app in the first place.

http://www.pcwintech.com/tools/CleanMem.html

you can see your not the only one who thought this was a bogus program like majorgeeks did, till they ran it through tests and found it was for real.

(About Shane)
Girlfriend & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.
When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: SirSoft.io & Former Owner and Programmer of Tweaking.com

Oh forgot to mention, the reason why a lot of the memory cleaners out there dont use this api call is because it wasnt documented till .net, every time you minimize a .net program the memory cleans itself up, this is the api call that is built into .net

Cleanmem simply took that nice little tweak from ms and applies it to the other processes.

(About Shane)

Oh forgot to mention, the reason why a lot of the memory cleaners out there dont use this api call is because it wasnt documented till .net, every time you minimize a .net program the memory cleans itself up, this is the api call that is built into .net

Cleanmem simply took that nice little tweak from ms and applies it to the other processes.

Thanks for the informative input.Some users refuse to believe that old problems can be handled in new ways.

They hear a word or phrase and respond with the same old response.

YoKenny is not that kind of user.He investigates and discovers better ways are available.

I don't think he is ever finished checking things out.

Thanks for the informative input.Some users refuse to believe that old problems can handled in new ways.

They hear a word or phrase and respond with the same old response.

YoKenny is not that kind of user.He investigates and discovers better ways are available.

I don't think he is ever finished checking things out.

Yeah I have seen that big time since I released cleanmem a few days ago.

A buddy of mine couldn't remember my new site name and so googled cleanmem and found this forum and he tells me people are having trouble understanding how it works. By the time I get here to answer questions I read post from people who haven't tried it and are shooting it down.

I guess I just take a lot of pride in my work and I try my hardest to make everyone happy. Something I have to realize is making everyone happy is just not going to happen.

But let me give some insight on how i came across the api call.

I run my own computer repair and been a programmer for a long time, when I started playing around with vb .net (I still use vb 6) I noticed it was a memory hog but when you minimized it the memory went down. I wanted to know how it did this and after doing some research I found the api that .net calls to clean itself up. So I started using it in my cs fire monitor and seen it worked very well. So I then decided to make one for my customers when I do windows reinstalls and so for over the past year my program has been running on a few hundred machines and the program doesnt really give a performance increase, but it keeps the system cleaned up of memory leaks.

Well once I got my new site up I wanted to release my first tool so I decided to take my tool and release it.

And so here i am trying my best to answer questions and working on more free tools to release.

So if anyone ever has concern or wants to know exactly whats going on in any one of my programs all they have to do is ask.

Anyways sorry if I came off rough.

-Shane

(About Shane)

Anyways sorry if I came off rough.

-Shane

I don't think they will mind if you leave you site address.

No not to rough.YoKenny just calls it like he sees it at the time.

Could there be any access conflicts?

My system is pretty basic.I will be testing your program myself.

the program call for permissions to run the api on each process. protected processes like antivirus and such cant be touch.

The ideal situation for the program is on servers and machines under heavy usage or computers that haven't shut off in weeks.

We all have seen how explorer.exe (good example) climbs in memory use as the day goes on, thus a memory leak.

The api doesn't interfere with a process, even ones currently climbing in memory, the api basicly goes in and clears all unused memory and thats it

if memory is in use its not touched so the process doesnt suffer, nothing in anyway changes, the page file, virtual memory all of it is untouched and doesnt grow.

Well with the program you just set it and forget it. I use the task scheduler to run the cleanmem.exe by default 30 min, but great thing about the task scheduler is the user can change it to anything they like.

if your system has only been on for a few hours, you havent done much and dont have much running and have plenty of free memory your not going to notice anything. Cause you system only slows down when you run out of memory.

But at least now you dont have to worry about memory leaks in processes sucking up all the memory. Thats the real goal of the program.

So you can see how on servers, gaming systems, people using memory hungry programs like autocad and photoshop get a great use out of cleanmem. But even a normal user can have it running and keep things running like they should.

anyways my site is www.pcwintech.com I have a how to on there for the task scheduler that might be helpful.

if you want a great way to see how well it works do this, open your task manager and click on the processes tab, now find explorer.exe, now go and open a bunch of folders and do things in windows and watch the memory grow with explorer.

Now go to start and then run

type in cleanmem and hit ok

Now watch the memory of explorer in 5 sec it will drop, it will grow slowly again when you use explorer again but thats the point, keep things clean.

Shane

(About Shane)

"RAM Optimizers have no effect, and at worst, they seriously degrade performance. Although gaining more available memory might seem beneficial, it isn't. As RAM Optimizers force the available-memory counter up, they force other processes' data and code out of memory. Say that you're running Word, for example. As the optimizer forces the available-memory counter up, the text of open documents and the program code that was part of Word's working set before the optimization (and was therefore present in physical memory) must be reread from disk as you continue to edit your document. The act of allocating, then freeing a large amount of virtual memory might, as a conceivable side effect, lead to blocks of contiguous available memory. However, because virtual memory masks the layout of physical memory from processes, processes can't directly benefit from having virtual memory backed by contiguous physical memory. As processes execute and undergo working-set trimming and growth, their virtual-memory-to-physical-memory mappings will become fragmented despite the availability of contiguous memory."

Sources: Page 1 and Page 2.

There is no refuting Mark's credentials, however, if you read many of the posts in that thread it becomes quite evident that, depending on what applications are running and how you are using the PC, Windows doesn't always do the perfect job. It is quite analogous to the "old" carburetor on vehicles. They were manufactured and tuned to work in an "average" environment. e.g. temp, humidity, elevation, etc. Also, this thread was started in relation to an application that uses Windows feature every 30 minutes (or as often as one likes), maximizing the efficiency of the Windows tool.

Now go to start and then run

type in cleanmem and hit ok

Now watch the memory of explorer in 5 sec it will drop, it will grow slowly again when you use explorer again but thats the point, keep things clean.

Shane

This only seems to work in XP and not Vista.

Open taskmanager and note explorer's mem usage.

Leave taskmanager running and open My Documents then minimize to tray and then note explorer's mem.

Note Taskmanager's mem usage and minimize then bing it back up.

Using Returnil here using the mem cache method and I want my system to use as much memory as it needs.

Vista uses a superfetch feature which loads most frequently apps into memory after desktop comes up.