• This topic is locked This topic is locked
429 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE YoKenny

YoKenny

Super Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  • Interests:Helping people get rid of malware on their systems then showing them how not to get re-infected again

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

Welcome PIO VINCE

1. The 'Defraggler' window looks like it was made in the 90's (no offense). I know that visual doesn't matter but I THINK it could boost up the download counts.

I like that look and it is quite efficient in both its display and update speed.

2. When you're defragmenting files, wouldn't it be better to know when the defrag is actually going to finish? I suggest an ETA after each file

I guess that would be good if you had a super computer and many files to defrag. I have neither and usually less than 200 files to defrag that takes less than a minute.

3. I want to have it defragment my Paging File (please disregard this if Defraggler already does)

I use PageDefrag but once it has run then unless the amount of RAM is changed then it is not necessary to run it again:
http://technet.micro...s/bb897426.aspx
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein
IE7Pro user

#182 ONLINE Willy2

Willy2

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

I installed the latest version (v1.05) today (december 6th) and tried the "Move large files to end of disk" feature but when looking at the drivemap, it seemed it didn't work at all ! Are there specific pre-conditions under which this option will work ? I have specified filetypes and ticked a number of boxes but all to no avail !

More over in this version one is supposed to be able to choose some other language besides English but that wasn't possible either.

Did anyone else have similar experiences ?

System setup: http://speccy.pirifo...HdzVX6tRFGuflFF

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

#183 OFFLINE Aethec

Aethec

Red Panda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

I don't know if this has already been said...

When you defragment some files, it says "Defragmenting...(X %)"

The problem is, the % are on total number of files and not of fragments. Sometimes it stays 1-2 minutes without changing the number because there's a file with many fragments, and then it goes lightning fast for the others files.

Why not have the % being calculated from total number of fragments and not of files ?
Piriform French translator

#184 OFFLINE davey

davey

Keep it simple !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:56 PM

I installed the latest version (v1.05) today (december 6th) and tried the "Move large files to end of disk" feature but when looking at the drivemap, it seemed it didn't work at all ! Are there specific pre-conditions under which this option will work ? I have specified filetypes and ticked a number of boxes but all to no avail !

More over in this version one is supposed to be able to choose some other language besides English but that wasn't possible either.

Did anyone else have similar experiences ?

I don't have many large files so I changed the MB value to something smaller. Some files were moved to the end(inside) of the drive. I haven't tried changing any default extensions or such yet.
What language did you specify at installation ? Did you ask for other than English ?

Further discussion should not be here. Please post in the Defraggler Discussion forum and select New topic in the upper right of the forum window. :P
Best wishes, :) davey

#185 OFFLINE Xeone

Xeone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

hi could suggest for improving your products if you can include an all defrag and ompimized button meaning it will defrag and optimized all the selected drive at once!!

very ideal right?? :D

#186 OFFLINE Raheem

Raheem

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:14 AM

I also vote for an exclude feature. I would love to not have to manually skip over all the C:\System Volume Information entries.

#187 OFFLINE R2D2

R2D2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

It would be great, if you release Defraggler (and of course CClenaer) as Windows-Installer-Package (MSI). With an MSI it's much more easier to deploy it to all my clients in my Active Directory (about 60 clients).

#188 OFFLINE Darkwarzx

Darkwarzx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Hmm, maybe an autorun feature as a backround process?
Maybe it would take up too much resources, but that idea is left out in the open.
I saw a defragger out there called ScanDisk I think and they made Windows Defrag itself. Windows just bought it off them to use.

Is it possible for the autorun feature to defrag files that become fragmented instantaneously? I mean if it detects a fragmented file it will automatically defrag it.

#189 OFFLINE MacroPheliac

MacroPheliac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

How about a Defrag then shutdown option?

It's something IOBit SmartDefrag has and I would love to see it in Defraggler. IOBit does it by having a checkbox in the main defrag status window, defraggler could do it in a context menu or whatever.

The main reason I would like to see this feature is I like to start a defrag when i go to bed because it normally takes awhile what with my massive downloading and I like to have my system shutoff to save power and extend it's life and whatever good reason one can come up with.

Please consider it and thanks!

#190 OFFLINE MacroPheliac

MacroPheliac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

Hmm, maybe an autorun feature as a backround process?
Maybe it would take up too much resources, but that idea is left out in the open.
I saw a defragger out there called ScanDisk I think and they made Windows Defrag itself. Windows just bought it off them to use.

Is it possible for the autorun feature to defrag files that become fragmented instantaneously? I mean if it detects a fragmented file it will automatically defrag it.

Actually no Windows Defrag uses very old and recycled code from Executive software's Diskeeper, and I mean OLD.

The Scan Disk you are thinking of is that error checking deal they had on Windows 95 and onward until NT stuff like Win2000 and XP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScanDisk

#191 OFFLINE ^L^

^L^

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:music ...

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

Hello, I love Your Work & Tool :)

Two "cosmetically" (?) wishes:

*) Autosize (witdh) Option for the Columns

*) Select/Check more/all Drives Option, eg. when I use "Analyze Drive"

Thank You! ... and have a fine NY! B)
at least once a day : to think different ;o)

#192 OFFLINE DarC_Matter

DarC_Matter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

I like the idea of being able to see the percentage complete on the taskbar rather then having to open it up to check...

Furthermore I feel being as how this is a closed source project using open source code leaves a legal gap in terms of the GPL.

I noticed your accepting logs in your spyware hell forum. Just wondering if this has a specific purpose like possibly a new project...

By the way I love your programs i thing they are a great contribution to the net. So keep up the good work and Happy New Year.

#193 OFFLINE Aethec

Aethec

Red Panda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

An Exclude feature, like in CCleaner. Because Defraggler cannot defrag 3 files on my computer, and each time it defragments the disk it takes time to try to defragment these...
Piriform French translator

#194 OFFLINE lazfsh

lazfsh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

My Suggestion: Defrag when PC is idle.
This will be the most usefull feature ever.
You could add a section under schedule tab that says run when pc has been idle for [Drop-down] minutes.
Then you can forget you installer defraggler. Now your defrags would go quietly in the background.

#195 OFFLINE XhmikosR

XhmikosR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:49 AM

I had posted the following in another topic, but probably no one saw them. Anyway, here are some suggestions and bug reports:

Shouldn't these strings be translated by default based on the language used?

Posted Image

If the user enters a custom name then that should be used. But by default it should be translated in the chosen language.

Also, maybe the default minimum size for the large files should be lowered, something like 100MB may be better, but I don't know about it for sure. :)

EDIT: The columns of categories and file types cannot be resized. And maybe you should add by default .ts files in movie files category.

Greek translator of Posted Image CCleaner, Posted Image Defraggler and Posted Image Recuva

#196 OFFLINE M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

I would really like the option to mark certain files as being ignored by Defraggler unless I manually go in to defrag them. This would be very helpful for things like Virtual PC .vhd files, as if Defraggler is running on the host and you are running a guest OS in Virtual PC, you can have problems if the .vhd gets defraged. This is clearly my fault, but that option would add a level of protection that I would appreciate. I had to reinstall a guest once because of this... Whoops...

Setting the percentage in the form title would be really helpful as well when you have Defraggler minimized. This would really be appreciated.

I really do love this program though. It is phenomenal.

#197 OFFLINE ^L^

^L^

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:music ...

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hello,

I like the Idea to add an Exclude List (and optional a Defrag only: .... Include List) to the *.INI.

cheers
at least once a day : to think different ;o)

#198 OFFLINE phil croxford

phil croxford

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

hi

it would be nice to see defraggler incorpaorted into windows explorer context menu. right click on a file to defrag. ive been using o&o defrag for a while but im getting more and more drawn to defraggler. if you could do this then i would be using this program full time

also if you could give the option to send files to the end of the drive via right click. i.e. i use virtual box alot and i have alot of virtual HDD on my hard disk. even if the file is not fragmented. could you make an option to move the file to the end of the drive away from all the major windows files. this would come in handy as the virtual HDD file grows bigger and just keep getting fragmented getting in the way of all the windows files.

keep up the good work guys!!!

#199 OFFLINE M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

I believe there is a context menu shell installer for Defraggler. You can find it stickied at the top of the Defraggler forum I believe... It doesn't offer context menu support to move files to the end of the drive I do not believe, but I do not use the shell extension.

Hope that helps...

#200 OFFLINE kphantom

kphantom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:52 AM

Small and meets my needs.

Some suggestions:-
  • popup confirmation dialog for "Still Deflaggmenting!..., really want to close the program?"
  • force move to start/end of volume even if defrag completed
  • defrag all files in selected folder