Defraggler is 100% for much too long

Donn Edwards

I am a great fan of CCleaner (except version 2.0) and so I was keen to try our Defraggler. I love the name. It reminds me a lot of the Defrag-A-File utility that I reviewed in "The Great Defrag Shootout".

I understand it is beta software, and initial tests with small files looked promising, so I copied a 5GB data file into a compressed folder in WindowsXP to see what would happen. It's the "stress test" I use for all the defraggers I have tested.

DF took around 8 minutes to analyse my drive, which is almost as bad as Diskeeper, but not nearly as bad as some others tested. By comparison, JkDefrag took less than 2 minutes. During the analyse process my processor utilisation stood at 99%, making the machine almost unusable.

post-13555-1191414674_thumb.jpg

When I clicked on the check box and said "Defrag" and answered "Yes" (I hate that dialog box. Please make it go away!) the program did a lot of thinking for around 19 minutes, and not that much disk activity. At 19 minutes the progress indicator got to 100% and remained at 100%, and the cpu usage was around 99% until the 30 minute mark, when it dropped to around 50% and there was a lot more disk activity. at the 42 minute mark, with the 100% progress bar still visible, the disk activity reamined busy and the cpu usage went back to 99%. At the 52 minute mark I ran out of patience and clicked "Stop". The hard drive activity reduced almost immediately, but DF spend another 4 minutes "stopping", whatever that means. At the 56 minute mark I restarted Windows, and it took another 3 minutes to shut down. Not good. On restarting I find that the file has only 5 remaining fragments, but the analyse time is still way too long.

post-13555-1191417234_thumb.jpg

Clearly there is a problem with the % defragmented progress bar.

I know the little revolving circle is very "Windows Vista" cool, but it gets irritating after you have stared at it for 10 minutes or so.

PLEASE could the development team add a status indicator somewhere which shows which file the program is busy with? A % indicator is fine when it keeps changing, but when the % stays the same for several minutes it says nothing useful.

Clearly there is a lot more work to be done on this product, but it looks encouraging. I particularly like the "Open containing folder" option, which has allowed me to find and delete a lot of spurious log files with lots of fragments.

post-13555-1191414674_thumb.jpg

post-13555-1191417234_thumb.jpg

----

Donn Edwards

Johannesburg, South Africa

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/

Just an FYI...it is still in beta..so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

"I understand it is beta software" ... hence my detailed feedback. Does anyone on the development team read this stuff, or are we just wasting our time doing testing?

----

Donn Edwards

Johannesburg, South Africa

http://donnedwards.openaccess.co.za/

Yes we read these forums constantly and are always interested in comments from our users. Right now we're busy trying to get the beta 2 complete with a few new features and bug fixes, but rest assured we intend to make this the best darn defrag tool available :)

MrRon

Yes we read these forums constantly and are always interested in comments from our users. Right now we're busy trying to get the beta 2 complete with a few new features and bug fixes, but rest assured we intend to make this the best darn defrag tool available :)

MrRon

and you will! :)