Moving Files to End of Drive

lamarcheb

I've noticed that when selecting the option to "Move Large Files to End of Drive" overall fragmentation increases. Is this intended, or this feature still being tweaked?

Hi lamarcheb,

Welcome !!! :D

Using this option does result in getting large files to the inside of the disk.

It will result in more fragmentation but this will allow for other files to be placed closer to the outside of the disk.

Some of the functions of Defraggler should be considered "optimization" functions. This is one of them.

A quick file defragmentation can clear this up.

Thanks for the question.

Good luck, :) davey

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a problem with this as well. Moving them to the END of the drive as it specifies (its all free space there). Whats odd is it seems to move the first file there fine, but then forgets that its supposed to be at the end of the drive, and moves random parts of it back forward, and so forth... it gets stuck for a while then proceeds to another file, and sometimes gets stuck infinitely.

It is a very odd problem but its defiantly not working as it should...

I am having a problem with this as well. Moving them to the END of the drive as it specifies (its all free space there). Whats odd is it seems to move the first file there fine, but then forgets that its supposed to be at the end of the drive, and moves random parts of it back forward, and so forth... it gets stuck for a while then proceeds to another file, and sometimes gets stuck infinitely.

It is a very odd problem but its defiantly not working as it should...

Hello htl2001,

Welcome to the forums. :D

Thanks for your input also.

Can you provide us with some more details about your system, and drives that are being defragged etc. ?

The Developers need this input and it is appreciated.

:) davey Another member and Defraggler user like you.

I am defragmenting a 40% free space compressed NTFS drive that is 25GB. I created a custom rule to move my game data files only to the end of the disk.

perhaps it doesn't like the "compressed" part? but it defragments normally just fine

• 5 weeks later...
Can you provide us with more details of how your drive is compressed.

:)

MrRon

@MrRon:

The issue here appears to be the same as discussed in the topic: "Defraggler confused over compressed file sizes". In my cases, the compressed drive uses Windows' native drive/file compression - not a third party compression tool.

galileo