Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

The [Windows Shellbags*] re-addition is another one of those irritating "Why is my File Explorer not maintaining the view settings I set up for it?" items that filter into Winapp2.ini.  It causes the view size of File Explorer to go back to the default and also removes any user added columns from a user's File Explorer.  I know there is a warning message in the code; however, I do not think registry key cleaning benefits warrant the potential user irritation factor from having to spend time figuring out why view settings are not be retained....particularly if a user is not really computer savvy.  

My vote is to take [Windows Shellbags*] back out.  

And I would like to see [MS Notepad*] for the same reason.  

JMO.  <_<

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

• Moderators

Remove Entry:

[Kodak AiO Software Disable Startup*]

LangSecRef=3021

Detect1=HKLM\Software\Eastman Kodak Company\KODAK AiO Home Center

Detect2=HKLM\Software\Kodak\Kodak AiO Software

Warning=Disables the Kodak AiO Software from automatically starting with Windows. Every time you print, it will re-enable itself to start with Windows.

Default=False

RegKey1=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|EKAIO2StatusMonitor

RegKey2=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|EKStatusMonitor

It does nothing other then just keep resetting the auto startup.

I made that cleaner, and find it very useful because I don't want the Kodak software running when I start Windows.

• Moderators

If people would leave certain warnings in, then people would know what it does instead of having a very long name for the cleaner. In particular the MS Notepad cleaner originally had this warning in that explained what it does when I made it, although I realize it would rarely need to be used:

[MS Notepad*]

LangSecRef=3025

Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Notepad

Default=False

Warning=If Notepad stops remembering your window size settings using this cleaner will reset it back to the original Windows default size.

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Notepad|iWindowPosDX

RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Notepad|iWindowPosDY

RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Notepad|iWindowPosX

RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Notepad|iWindowPosY

If people would leave certain warnings in, then people would know what it does instead of having a very long name for the cleaner. In particular the MS Notepad cleaner originally had this warning in that explained what it does when I made it, although I realize it would rarely need to be used:

[MS Notepad*]

LangSecRef=3025

Default=False

Warning=If Notepad stops remembering your window size settings using this cleaner will reset it back to the original Windows default size.

But is that the real purpose/function of CCleaner?  I've always felt that CCleaner's purpose for the general public is to remove junk files (and registry keys) that are no longer used/needed by the user's system.  

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

The [Windows Shellbags*] re-addition is another one of those irritating "Why is my File Explorer not maintaining the view settings I set up for it?" items that filter into Winapp2.ini.  It causes the view size of File Explorer to go back to the default and also removes any user added columns from a user's File Explorer.  I know there is a warning message in the code; however, I do not think registry key cleaning benefits warrant the potential user irritation factor from having to spend time figuring out why view settings are not be retained....particularly if a user is not really computer savvy.  

JMO.  <_<

All known and popular privacy eraser programs today have this included. They have this included since those programs were introduced in Windows XP. I can write all of those programs' names here. Have you ever looked at that path in the Windows Registry? It grows very large, it is always recommended to remove those traces. If you don't like this entry, you can always uncheck it.

I added HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders to the CCleaner Exclude option and that prevents this cleaning code from deleting File Explorer's view settings and user added columns.  And it allows cleaning all the other keys that you rightfully are concerned about.   :)

How about modifying [Windows Shellbags*] to 

Added ExcludeKey1/2 and eliminated the warning

[Windows ShellBags*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
Detect2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
ExcludeKey1=REG|HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell
ExcludeKey2=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\AllFolders\Shell

JMO.  <_<

Why not keep a separate file of dangerous or not widely needed or wanted entries. 

It seems that winapp2.ini development is not getting updated.  Is the correct web address to copy from:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/ee06a5132c3b979c40dd028f236af2849b76b20a/Development/Winapp2

I copied the file this AM and the header is:

=== begin paste ===

; Version: 170329
; # of entries: 2,571
; You can get the latest Winapp2 here: https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2
; Any contributions are appreciated. Please send them to the link above.
; Is CCleaner taking too long to load with Winapp2? Please head to this link and follow the instructions: http://www.winapp2.com/howto.html
; Valid commands can be found on the first post here: https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32310
; Please do not host this file anywhere without permission. This is to facilitate proper distribution of the latest version. Thanks.

=== end paste ===

but I recall an update being announced a few days after 17-03-29......

• Moderators

But is that the real purpose/function of CCleaner?  I've always felt that CCleaner's purpose for the general public is to remove junk files (and registry keys) that are no longer used/needed by the user's system.  

If CCleaner had a general Fix section like some tools have maybe so because most people aren't going to know how to fix certain things, and it makes it very easy for them, and it avoids them having to go into RegEdit.

I made that cleaner, and find it very useful because I don't want the Kodak software running when I start Windows.

Isn't there an option to just disable it?

[MS Notepad*]

LangSecRef=3025

Default=False

The warning is in there..

Why not keep a separate file of dangerous or not widely needed or wanted entries. 

I have a plan to make a Winapp3, that will be exactly like that, and taking some cleaners from the unofficial winsys.ini file, but that probably won't happen for a while yet. First I want to finish overhauling Winapp2.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

I added HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders to the CCleaner Exclude option and that prevents this cleaning code from deleting File Explorer's view settings and user added columns.  And it allows cleaning all the other keys that you rightfully are concerned about.   :)

How about modifying [Windows Shellbags*] to 

Added ExcludeKey1/2 and eliminated the warning

[Windows ShellBags*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows
Detect2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
ExcludeKey1=REG|HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell
ExcludeKey2=REG|HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\AllFolders\Shell

Gets my vote ;)

Do we need 2 detects on the Windows Shellbags? The first detect covers the whole Windows registry section, including the ShellNoRoam entry that is in the 2nd detect. Maybe just one or the other is fine.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

• Moderators
Do we need 2 detects on the Windows Shellbags? The first detect covers the whole Windows registry section, including the ShellNoRoam entry that is in the 2nd detect. Maybe just one or the other is fine.

I agree, whichever is most specific without detecting the exact thing that's removed. (This sounded better in my head than it probably reads)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

One detect works for me.  ;)

• Moderators

Isn't there an option to just disable it?

In regards to the Kodak AIO Software, no there isn't any option to disable it.

As soon as you print anything it automatically puts itself back into the registry to always run on startup and I don't like that behavior - hence the reason that cleaner is very useful to disable it with a simple click of the Run Cleaner button as it involves no registry editing or hunting down the Run section in the registry.

Edit:

And MSConfig is of no help either to disable it, because you'll only end up with orphaned disabled entries in the registry for disabled startups of it.

> master

"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/master/Winapp2.ini"                                         
> development

"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/ee06a5132c3b979c40dd028f236af2849b76b20a/Development/Winapp2"

The winapp2.ini I copied from the master link above has: Version: v5.26.170306

The winapp2.ini I copied from the development link above has: Version: 170329

Why is the one from today not available? 

Modified entry:  [Cyberlink PowerDVD 16/17*]

Added FileKey7

[CyberLink PowerDVD 16/17*]
LangSecRef=3023
Detect1=HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD16
Detect2=HKCU\Software\CyberLink\PowerDVD17
Default=False
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Cyberlink\PowerDVD*\cache\|*.*
FileKey2=%CommonAppData%\Cyberlink\Evoparser\|*.xml
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Cyberlink\PowerDVD*\caches\|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Cyberlink\PowerDVD*\CL_DMP_Browser\|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Cyberlink\DigitalHome\|*.log|RECURSE
FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Cyberlink\PowerDVD*\|*.log|RECURSE
FileKey7=%CommonAppData%\install_backup\*\|*.log

Modified Entry:  [DriverMax*]

Added FileKey8

[DriverMax*]
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKCU\Software\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax
Default=False
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\Agent\Downloded Drivers|*.*
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\Agent\Uploads|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\Backup|*.*
FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\LastScan|*.*
FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\Temp|*.*
FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\TempBackup|*.*
FileKey7=%LocalAppData%\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\Agent|dmxlog.txt
FileKey8=%LocalAppData%\Innovative Solutions\DriverMax\Agent\|*.tmp

Modified entry:  [Malwarebytes Anti-Malware*]

Added FileKey8

[Malwarebytes Anti-Malware*]
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKCU\Software\Malwarebytes
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
Default=False
Warning=You must manually and temporarily turn off Malwarebytes "self-protection" to remove the logs.
FileKey1=%AppData%\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs|*.*
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes*Anti-Malware\Logs|*.*
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware|mbam-setup.exe
FileKey4=%CommonAppData%\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes*Anti-Malware\Logs|*.*
FileKey5=%CommonAppData%\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware|mbam-setup.exe
FileKey6=%CommonAppData%\Malwarebytes\MBAMService|*.log;*.bak
FileKey7=%CommonAppData%\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs|*.*
FileKey8=%CommonAppData%\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\ScanResults|*.*

> master

"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/master/Winapp2.ini"                                         

> development

"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/ee06a5132c3b979c40dd028f236af2849b76b20a/Development/Winapp2"

The winapp2.ini I copied from the master link above has: Version: v5.26.170306

The winapp2.ini I copied from the development link above has: Version: 170329

Why is the one from today not available? 

??? Please check my reply to your last post. Thanks.

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=32310&p=282584

New Entry:  ​[MS Office 2013/16 ClickToRun Update Files*]

NOTE:  This code might also work for MS Office 2010; however, I do not have a MS Office 2010 installation to test...so I cannot confirm.  If someone has MS Office 2010 locally installed on their system to test it, that would be great.  You would need to change the Detects to:

Detect1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0
Detect2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0

Detect3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0

This code ONLY applies to locally installed MS Office.  There are many megabytes of files in the ProductRelease folder following each Office update.  So this will clean a large volume of files on the user's first run of CCleaner with this code active.  

[MS Office 2013/16 ClickToRun Update Files*]
LangSecRef=3021
Detect1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0
Detect2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0
Default=False
FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\ClickToRun\ProductReleases\|*.*|RECURSE|

• Moderators

ClickToRun only came out for Office 365, which would mean only Office 2013 and later are effected.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

ClickToRun only came out for Office 365, which would mean only Office 2013 and later are effected.

The MS article below implies differently.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/982434/an-overview-of-microsoft-office-click-to-run-for-office-2010