how to remove a startup program from registry

rio

I mean I would like to remove a few specific startup entries in HKCU, since those entries are frequently automatically recreated themselves. I'm not sure if CCleaner could do this job, or else may I suggest that please provide another function similar to the INCLUDE in Option for removing registry entries in the future? Thanks.

Welcome to piriform rio.

Hi there, could CCleaner remove a startup program from registry like HKCU?

Are you talking about apps that start when Windows starts up?

You need to look in Tools\Startup and disable or delete anything you don't want running straight off.

I've never heard of HKCU. The only slight problem you have with WinXP is depending who wrote the app will keep on checking the startup state in the registry. If you delete it with CC then it will get put straight back in there normally with a little warning message. My ISP does that with a couple of apps it uses. But I have to beauty of Win98SE which has true DOS. So I can start up the computer in DOS, find the files and delete them, you can't do that in XP unless your drive is a FAT32. ;)

Shouldn't the "Scan and Fix Registry Issues" take care of this?

No nead to use Registry option for this problem because it won't find problems in startup.

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I think he is talking about HKey_ Current_ User area of the registry

Thanks Hazel I thought he was taking about an app name. :rolleyes:

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Yes, it's HKey_Current_User. For startup, they're dispersed in different area, like HKCU, HKU, HKLM, services, and so on. I thought CCleaner may deal with startup in this manner.

Hi rio,

Welcome, glad to have you aboard !!! :D

Use CCleaner Tools > Startup and you can Enable,Disable, or Delete as you like. I ususlly just Disable or Enable.

t2418_20081202024709.png

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Best wishes,

:) davey

Further discussion is available in topic Tools / Startup entries.

I like AutoRuns for Windows v9.35:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=121895

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Hi all, I don't mean an attended disabling a startup entry, but I rather expect using an unattended and automatic way of removing startup entries by way of CCleaner.

Hello again rio,

You must have a specific situation or problem that you want to resolve.

Can you tell us about it ?

:) daey

• Moderators

About startups in the tools section of the guide?

http://www.internetrotsyourbrain.com/ccleanerbeginnersguide/

I think it is important that you answer Davey's question about what the entries are. They could be malware related entries perhaps, so like Davey asked, can you give us a bit more info on the keys inquestion?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It's a free Yahoo dictionary called Yahoo!Mini which creates an auto start entry C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Mini\YMiniUpdat2.exe automatically in HKU erratically though I'd unchecked the start with window option. It's obviously buggy, but I'm still using it until the next release that may fix this issue from Yahoo. That's what I'm going to remove using CCleaner automatically in an unattended manner. Do you have any idea to do so, or is there any software to remove it in such reactive manner? Thanks.

It's a free Yahoo dictionary called Yahoo!Mini which creates an auto start entry C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Mini\YMiniUpdat2.exe automatically in HKU erratically though I'd unchecked the start with window option. It's obviously buggy, but I'm still using it until the next release that may fix this issue from Yahoo. That's what I'm going to remove using CCleaner automatically in an unattended manner. Do you have any idea to do so, or is there any software to remove it in such reactive manner? Thanks.

You say erratically - how ? Variations in whether or not it does the damage, or in the location within HKCU that is damaged ?

If the location varies I cannot help, otherwise :-

Use ERUNT to backup your registry - the best 10 seconds you will ever spend.

Use Regedit to select the relevant key.

Do NOT delete it, but export it. I prefer to "Save Type as ..." Win9x because I prefer simple ASCII to UNICODE.

If you now delete the key (not the exported file), it should go.

If you now double click the exported file, the registry parasite should re-appear.

What we now have, and need, is the correct format to stipulate the key to be zapped.

Study http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

This shows the correct place to put a '-' in the exported file so that a double click should take it away.

Then whenever you start this special file, it should zap the rogue.

I have no experience of doing this, and do not know if you can simply invoke from a batch command file, or whether you will have to use Windows to start it

An alternative that can be run by a batch command is to use reg.exe,

which is described in http://www.computerhope.com/reg.htm.

Regards

Alan