Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

I'd like to see "average fragment size" in the file list.

That way I can choose to defrag only those files for which the fragment size is under the size of my choice. After all, a 100MB file with 5000 fragments is much slower to read than a 10MB file with only 3 fragments.

Another suggestion:

Support for SSD drives, preferrably automatic :)

The reason for this is that on an SSD it's ok to leave a few fragments in large files, and it's pretty much useless to move contiguous files around at all, since SSD's don't have disk-heads to move, and more importantly, SSD's have a wear-levelling algorithm which makes the drive "fragmented" internally anyway. Therefor defragging the FS is only good for reducing the already miniscule seektimes and lowering CPU load a little from heavily fragmented files.

Also, and this may be the greatest performance gean for SSD's: would it be possible for Defraggler to send the TRIM command to a disk for each piece of freespace? That way, an SSD would optimize it's wear-levelling and reduce performance degradation. Atm, only the OCZ Vertex supports this (and perhaps the Intel X25-M, not sure though), but I'm sure more will follow.

Number of Free Space Fragments

I suggest that this is by far the most useful statistic in defragmentation.

It is not displayed at all in Defraggler.

I have started a thread in the general area to discuss this.

Please, if you are a developer, just acknowledge that you have seen it.

First of all thanks for the most thorough defrag tool I have ever used. I have a few suggestions they are:

- add 'defrag all' button/context menu that does a normal defrag + free space defrag

- add 'defrag fragmented files only' button/context menu which would be a one click for analyzing + checking all in file list + pressing defrag checked

- add 'defrag free space' button of the function already in context menu

- +1 allow for multiple drives to be analyzed/defragged by selection in top frame

- +1 while processing don't lock top frame selection, so other drives can be processed at the same time

- during single file defrag remove the window that pops up and put it on the status page (drive page) instead

- remove redundant status (analyzing\defrag %) in the bottom pane since it's in the top pane already

- add to schedule settings type of defrag to perform: full, file only, free space only, fragmented files only

- add to schedule settings drive selection check box to select multiple drives

- add to schedule settings defrag drives simultaneously or sequential (one after another)

- +1 to defrag after idle for so many minutes option

- +1 to minimize to system tray option

- option to clean with ccleaner /AUTO before defragging

- +1 for showing free space fragment count \ percentage

- +1 for adding offline defrag of system files (pagefile, hiberfile, metadate, etc)

- show count \ percentage of fragmented system files

Considerations/Additions of any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Also while more of a bug report then a suggestion I notice the process priority (normal/background) isn't saved between program restarts.

As "crzftx" mentions previously, the Defrag Free Space seems a little backward. Obviously there is little information presented as to what is occuring but from the lovely squares it appears to start at the beginning of the drive and fill in the first gap with the _next_ available fragmented piece of data. The gap left behind by that piece of fragmented data may very well then be filled in by the following available fragmented piece of data, repeat until the end of the data is reached. What appears more logical is to find the first gap on the drive and fill it with the last available fragmented piece of data, thereby making (potentially) large gaps at the end of the drive available to defrag the largest of the files into.

• Moderators

Some new suggestions:

Create a new feature that shows the total amount of time it took to complete a defrag ("Defrag completed in time"):

383e2839568515.gif

Create a new "Auto Defrag" button and option that will automatically defrag all local disks without any more user interaction, and an /AUTOSHOWGUI switch to have it completely automated and show the program, and an /AUTONOGUI switch for it to be minimized in the SysTray or taskbar:

1b360739568516.gif

The Search-feature seems to work not too well in v1.10. I have 3 files which contain "mish" but the Search function found two files and the program failed to find the third file.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Some new suggestions:

Create a new feature that shows the total amount of time it took to complete a defrag ("Defrag completed in time"):

383e2839568515.gif

Create a new "Auto Defrag" button and option that will automatically defrag all local disks without any more user interaction, and an /AUTOSHOWGUI switch to have it completely automated and show the program, and an /AUTONOGUI switch for it to be minimized in the SysTray or taskbar:

1b360739568516.gif

I do not know if this has suggested in the past, but, if there is an option to move large files towards the end of the drive, why not one for moving certain files (by either size or type) towards the beginning of the drive.

An option to ignore (not move) already defragmented files would be extremely good as well.

It might be tough to implement, but if the program "defragmented" on memory first to make all the decisions of where to move the files, it could then avoid what several versions do; move the same file a few times whilst defragging. I have noticed it as a big problem mainly when defragmenting the whole drive, as it will keep on trying to find space for those large files now kept at the end which have not been able to be defragged.

;) Am using Piriform Defraggler version 1.11.148 and it seems fine with me except for the speed of de-fragmenting. I would appreciate if it were a bit faster. In addition, its better if it could be minimized to tray and continue de-fragmenting in the background as I work. I pressed the Close button hoping that it will be minimized

Hello, there is only one actual problem that I can see in the entire program... There is no functionality to manually move items of a certain block to another block... I am having problems defragmenting a 200GB file because there is one file around 160GB from the end of the drive that is not fragmented and won't move closer to the beginning of the drive for any reason. I want implementation of the ability to drag and drop blocks/files to other blocks.

Number of Free Space Fragments

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, developer guys, I'm disappointed that you haven't put this in the latest version.

(see thread of this title)

If the built-in Vista defragger can do it, why can't you?

and an all time favorite, and performance must have, pagefile (be it offline or not) defrag :rolleyes:

Actually, the safest handling of a pagefile is to give it it's own tiny partition - preferably on your backup harddrive instead of your system drive, so it isn't competing for read/write time with day to day work - then set the start size and maximum size both equal to the maximum size, and have the contents deleted at shutdown for safety (which I do once a day - when I shut down at night). Voila! it's defragged every day.

May be you could add a "clear temp files" in the settings... the same way ccleaner works (I mean files older than 48 hours)... why should we defrag temp files ? ;)

You shouldn't defrag temp files - you should run CCleaner (and any other cleaning/optimizing you normally do as maintenance) before you defrag. The pagefile should be in it's own tiny partition & cleared when you shutdown for the night. You can also turn hibernation off, giving up the hibersys file before defragging, if you wish. Although some disk-oriented applications ignore the pagefile and hibersys file - this one may too, I don't know - moderators??.

I think it would be great if it didn't use so much of my systems resources...

MS Disk Defrag takes 50 ~ 100MB's :angry:

Auslogics Defrag takes 100 ~ 150MB's <_<

Defraggler Defrag takes 1.2 ~ 1.6GB's :blink:

I think in terms of the best defragger per MB Auslogic is the best UI because it gives Verbose info on what its doing....

Performance wise MS Defrag is the best.

Options wise Defraggler...

I think you need to look at and optimize your code a bit and better verbose info and logging...

I have version v1.10 installed. I think v1.11 just simply ""sucks"". Although that version has an improved ""large fragments defraggler"" capability, I de-installed this version and re-installed v1.10. The reason I dislike v1.11 is the same as why I disliked v1.08 and v1.09 but liked v1.07. See my comments on this particular topic in this thread.

Actually, the safest handling of a pagefile is to give it it's own tiny partition - preferably on your backup harddrive instead of your system drive, so it isn't competing for read/write time with day to day work - then set the start size and maximum size both equal to the maximum size, and have the contents deleted at shutdown for safety (which I do once a day - when I shut down at night). Voila! it's defragged every day.

Not everybody would want to have to make a seperate partition for the pagefile. Sometimes it can be handy to just defrag the existing one.

Also, it's not just the pagefile wich cannot be defragged while running Windows. There's more stuff that qualifies for that, including the Windows Registry.

Today I have installed the latest version (v1.12) and must say I that do like this version better than v1.11 and I therefore have switched from v1.10 to v1.12.

In this version there's still a bug. I live in the Netherlands and I therefore use the dutch language version of this program. In the column "Fragmentation" the english word "Unknown" in the dutch language version isn't replaced by the proper dutch word ("Onbekend"). This is clearly a programming error because in the column "File System" the english word "Unknown" in the dutch language version is properly replaced by the dutch word "Onbekend". And this bug doesn't occur in the dutch version only but it occurs in every language version. That particular word "Unknown" isn't "translated"/replaced the moment one switches to another language.

I hope its clear what I am refering to because this bug already existed in version v1.10 and isn't/wasn't fixed in versions v1.11 and v1.12.

I came across something odd.

I use the option "Defrag freespace" (very) regular. I noticed that this function (always ??) skips files that are fragmented. I have made a picture of the situation (see attachment). There was a file in 10 fragments (in bright green and bright red). When I used the "Defrag freespace" option the last fragment of that file (in bright green) remained where it was placed. It looks like it could have been moved closer to the last files. (The new place were this fragment (in bright green) could have been moved to is marked by the black squares). This would have reduced the number of freespace-fragments and that's precisely what the option "Defrag freespace" is supposed to do. On top of that one would expect that this function would fill more free fragments/free space(s), that it would fill more "gaps".

Keep in mind: I am talking about the "Defrag freespace" option, not the "Defrag freespace (allow fragmentation)" option.

I think 'Defrag by Creation date' 'Defrag by Modified Data' 'Defrag by Name' and 'defrag by size' options would greatly benefit Defraggler

Also I would like a better looking UI, I am willing to make the UI images?

In addition to that I suggest adding a 'Sweep Defrag' Option.

This option will send the first 5 clusters to the end of the disk, get the locations of the first fragmented file on the disk and put them into an array, then moves the clusteres of the fragmented file in order to the start, once 1 cluster is written, the 6th cluster is moved to the back of the drive then another cluster is written and another moved to the back of the drive.

This feature would be great for Heavily fragmented drives (Such as mine - 872GB 46% Fragmented) it would save time, however for low fragmented drives this feature would be highly ineffective.

From an administrative point of view, I'd like to see some logging besides that created by the /debug option. If there was some way (specifically using df.exe, but in the GUI version it would be appreciated as well) to throw out a -v option or a /log option so I could have, at the very least some "Fragmentation Before" and "Fragmentation After" stats generated, I would be most appreciative.

I've tried using Windows Defrag.exe to do this but defrag -a -v is limited in its scope. For example, defrag -a -v gives me a 9% fragmented stat on a disk where most of the file sizes for about 30 odd files range from 40MB to 100GB backup images. Defraggler on the other hand tells me I have over 60% fragmentation on the same drive.

Even if there was a "log" switch that output similar text to defrag -a -v but with Defraggler's accuracy that would be excellent.

I am sure this has all been suggested before and I apologize for this discretion should it exist.

Cheers,

Eric.

It would be nice if the drive map legend could be shown all the time, maybe a show/noshow option. I agree that showing the file-in-process name would be nice.

amen!

Status Properties Legend

just like that!

please!

I like the File Exclude option, but it needs a *little* tweaking.

1) If you select the file to defrag it from the file list, you should still be able to defrag it. Maybe a warning?

2) When you have a file extension in the list of files to move to the end of the drive, after defragging that file from the file list, it should move it to the end of the drive.

3) Even if they're skipped by defrag, these files should be shown in the list. It is kind of confusing that they don't.

4) Some sectors show as fragmented, when there doesn't appear to be anything to defragment? I can't figure this out. It seems to have worsened with the last release...

5) Piriform was developing on .NET for a while, and I can understand the benefits of moving away from that, but there were many benefits with .NET as well. Not least of which is the fact that applications are sandboxed... It would be really nice if Defraggler was run in such a way that it was sandboxed and couldn't crash Windows. I've just had such a crash, and this is not the first or fifth time...

Otherwise I love the product. :)

Thanks again for the phenomenal work.