• Moderators

more info please.

DF version?

OS version?

type of defrag?

does it give an error message?

how far does it get?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Developers!

FIRST, THANK YOU for developing DeFraggler! I have been using it since v1.0 and it has served me well all these years!

Please allow me to inject my story (with details :) ) that may help "edgannon" and others.

Windows 7 SP1 - Home Premium 32-bit, 2GB Mem, 150GB HD; 46 GB used (this is a Netbook)

DeFraggler v2.19.982

1 - Click [Analyze] and find 821 Fragmented Files, 2.7GB; 8,433 Fragments

2 - Click a red square (trial and error) to find ONE FILE that has TWO fragments; filesize: 400MB

3 - Click-to-select that file in the next window, then [Defrag Highlighted]

4 - After 6+ minutes (?!), I see "Defrag Aborted - No files were defragmented - This operation cannot be done"

DeFraggler examines a 400MB file for 6+ minutes to tell me it can't be defrag'd ??? :wacko:

The file is a downloaded RAR file in the Downloads folder with NO attributes, no special permissions, no restrictions, I am owner+admin+SYSTEM.

I have logged on as the Administrator, and RIGHT-clicked "DeFraggler" to "Run as Administrator" (just to be REAL sure!)

Other files identified are mostly the "mpcache-xxxx.bin" files from MSAntimalware, which are "unmoveable" = un-defrag-able. Then I see [Folder Entry], _setup.exe, xxx.log, and some others that should normally *BE* defrag-able, but are not!

ANY ideas of why this is happening on ALL 821 files???!! I am about to format and re-install! :angry:

I can't be sure this behavior existed from the start, but I recently (1-2mo) installed "360 Total Security", "HerdProtect", "SmartPCFixer", and "RollBack (Home)".

Yet these programs should *NOT* have caused any of this, IMHO.

I have also tried [Competitive software], and just about all the others (now UNinstalled) with the SAME results! Setting Boot Time defrag on all of them (and DeFraggler) made no difference. This disk just can NOT be defrag'd !@#$&*!!!

So, this would seem to be CLEARLY something funky on this Netbook! Otherwise, Win7 runs just fine (for a Netbook :) )

Thanks for your time to research this issue...

P.S.

My main systems are all Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and ALL files defragment just fine (except a few usual DLLs and such)

• Moderators

I've removed mention of competition software by name in the above post)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com