Can no longer see HD after defraggler

xrayextra

I have a PC running Windows 7.

Before going to bed I decided to defragment my WD external 1 TB HD after deleting about 12 GB of files from it.

In the morning, the computer would no longer show the HD.

I've tried rebooting the computer but no luck.  I've tried ejecting and disconnecting the HD from both the computer and power source, reconnecting it, and rebooting, all to no avail.

The computer simply no longer identifies the HD.

It was in good shape prior to this so I don't think it suddenly went bad simply because I used defraggler.

Has anyone had something similar happen?  If so, any suggestions on what I need to do to reconnect to my HD?

Thanks in advance for any help you offer.

• Moderators

make hay while the sun shines, as they say.

backup any data off that drive while you can.

I'd reformat it and see if that helps.

while in the Mac, format it with something that's Windows compatible; FAT, exFAT or NTFS  (don't use Mac's so not sure what options it allows)

then put it back in the PC and see if it shows up.

a real long shot, was it connected to the PC via USB and through a hub, if so, try not going through the hub, and try another USB port.  (preferably a USB3 port as they pump out more power)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

That's a great suggestion mta, thanks.

I ordered another backup drive last night and when it arrives I'll do just that.

I tested both USB3 ports in my PC with a flash drive and had no trouble at all.  It was instantly recognized so I don't think it's a problem with the USB ports.

• Moderators

just trying to get a feel here....

when you plug that WD 1TB drive into the PC, does it go click..... click......click......   at all?

that implies not enough power getting to it or faulty drive which it can't be as it works in the Mac.

is it a 3.5" unit and has it's own power supply or a 2.5" unit and is only USB powered?

again, trying to come at it from a 'not enough power' angle.

when you plug it in, do you get the ding-dong "USB device just got plugged in" noise?

if you get the three quick successive dings, that would indicate a USB driver issue.

any chance you can extract the hard drive from the enclosure?

this would pinpoint either the drive or the enclosure circuitry as the culprit.

it is weird that it works on the Mac and not even detected by the PC.

and good call on the re-order too, life is to short and backups too important to d*** around with an untrustworthy unit.

plus, worst case, you can just use it on the Mac.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I do have another 1TB external HD as a backup but it's full. (I need to delete some old backups off of it.)

The WD HD is a My Book Essentials, not the passport.  It has its own power source.

When I plug it into the USB port I get absolutely nothing.  There are no dings, no clicks, and no notice of external media.  Its as if it wasn't there.

I don't know if the HD is on the verge of failure or what.  I didn't have any trouble with it prior to running the defraggler.

I've used defraggler before and it has worked wonderfully, without issues, so I don't know if it was something the defraggler did or simply identified.