secure wipe of freespace

Tulmaster

Hello everyone,

I see there is a place in settings to check for "Secure" wipe of free space and is slower but more secure.   So is it slower because it makes more than one pass automatically, because when I chose to do a wipe I have one pass set so seems that it should be the same speed regardless.  is it more secure to do a 3 pass wipe every 3rd day, or a one pass wipe everyday.  Lastly if I delete lage files via windows recycle bin then do a wipe of free space am I just as secure as when I do a delete file from CCleaner to start with?  Thanks in advance for any help

TM

• Moderators

Wipe Free Space in Options/Settings runs one pass whatever other options you have checked. Drive Wiper gives you the option to run more than one pass. The 'Secure Deletion' in Settings refers to secure file deletion, not wfs. I don't know what is slower than what?

One pass is quite secure, search this forum or Google to find out why.

Have you thought of running secure file deletion (one pass) instead of frequent wfs's? It's less wearing on the drive and faster. You could then run wfs say once a month to catch any little bits secure deletion doesn't cover.

Wipe Free Space will wipe all the free space, no matter where it comes from, the recycler or anywhere else.

Additionally,  If I go to settings and go for the slower better wipe it also checks the boxs for the wipe of the MFT free space.  If I go for the faster less secure wipe, why do I see that the first thing that is wiped as it progresses is the MFT free space?

Okay, I think I understand what you are refering to.  It just seemed that when I checked the more secure but slower wipe it was much slower in the drive wipe, when I wiped all free space, on one pass,  I was under the impression both places made adjustments to the same thing, wiping free space.  Thanks for your time

• Moderators

Drive Wiper does a 'free' wipe MFT for you. When you run wfs from Settings CC also has to check all the other options, whereas Drive Wiper is standalone: that might be the cause of the time difference. Neither wipe method is more secure than the other.