How to remove from CCleaner applications that have been deleted/removed from PC

TRinAz

I have a number of applications that have been removed from my PC over time but they still show up in CCleaner "Applications" window.  How can I remove these programs that are no longer installed on my PC

ie:  Opera, McAfee A/V, Picasa...etc

Thanks....TiminAz

post-40776-0-88091600-1397083705_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

even though they have been uninstalled, traces are still on your system.

for example, I just check CC, Application list, under Internet I had LogMeIn, which has long been removed.

I ran Revo Uninstaller which found 5 Registry entries and a ProgramData folder, after it removed those and a reboot, CC no longer showed the entry.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

The best way to remove the programs (from the ccleaner list) is this

1 open command prompt

2 run ccleaner command line like this "c:\program files\ccleaner.exe" /export

3 open the resulting file (found in ccleaner's program folder) winapp.ini in a text editor (such as notepad or notepad++)

4 search for (ctrl+f) each entry you want removed.

5 using the line that says either detect or detectkey as a guide, find on your computer either the file or registry key referenced and remove it from the computer.

In step 2 the quote marks are required but replace c:\program files\ with the location of your ccleaner exe and ccleanet.exe with ccleaner64.exe if you are on a 64 bit machine.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

McAfee Antivirus has an official removal tool (as do most other antivirus vendors).

As for the remaining stuff that CCleaner is detecting you'll have to manually deal with them, look for left-overs:

* Registry keys - but only if you're comfortable manually editing the Windows registry.

* Application Data

* Program Files

Some programs that didn't fully remove you could actually re-install, and then use a tool like Revo Uninstaller Free to uninstall them to more fully remove them - but it's no guarantee to remove absolutely everything.

CC developers:  Why not add a feature, like right-clicking on the item, and having CC tell you where it found it?  Sure would save a lot of time and searching, and needlessly installing additional programs (like revo) to get rid of garbage left by errant uninstall programs.  I mean, CC is supposed to let you get rid of garbage, right?  So, why have to load additional programs, or generate garbage files, just to clean up garbage?

This is the 21st century - let us see some improvements already.

JonD

• Moderators

while I agree with your idea @JonD, personally I'd rather the lazy programmers got their act together in the first place and wrote their uninstall scripts better.

I think having CC delve into the Registry to remove these sort of left-over keys may go beyond its softly-softly approach to registry cleaning, but there's always the backup step it offers, and it's no more potentially dangerous than the File Finder tool.

The best way to remove the programs (from the ccleaner list) is this 1 open command prompt 2 run ccleaner command line like this "c:\program files\ccleaner.exe" /export 3 open the resulting file (found in ccleaner's program folder) winapp.ini in a text editor (such as notepad or notepad++) 4 search for (ctrl+f) each entry you want removed. 5 using the line that says either detect or detectkey as a guide, find on your computer either the file or registry key referenced and remove it from the computer. In step 2 the quote marks are required but replace c:\program files\ with the location of your ccleaner exe and ccleanet.exe with ccleaner64.exe if you are on a 64 bit machine.

This is what happens with command prompt:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\>"c:\program files\ccleaner64.exe" /export

'"c:\program files\ccleaner64.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\>

Never mind...found my errors file created

The best way to remove the programs (from the ccleaner list) is this 1 open command prompt 2 run ccleaner command line like this "c:\program files\ccleaner.exe" /export 3 open the resulting file (found in ccleaner's program folder) winapp.ini in a text editor (such as notepad or notepad++) 4 search for (ctrl+f) each entry you want removed. 5 using the line that says either detect or detectkey as a guide, find on your computer either the file or registry key referenced and remove it from the computer. In step 2 the quote marks are required but replace c:\program files\ with the location of your ccleaner exe and ccleanet.exe with ccleaner64.exe if you are on a 64 bit machine.

Well...no joy so far...there's no "detect" or detectkey entries....here's the entries just for Opera in winappini :

[Opera - Internet Cache]

ID=2006

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3161

Default=True

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_CACHE

[Opera - Internet History]

ID=2007

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3162

Default=True

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_HISTORY

[Opera - Cookies]

ID=2008

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3102

Default=True

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_COOKIES

[Opera - Download History]

ID=2342

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3163

Default=True

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_DOWNLOAD

[Opera - Recently Typed URLs]

ID=2224

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3104

Default=True

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_RECENTLY_TYPED_URLS

[Opera - Last Download Location]

ID=2223

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3108

Default=True

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_LAST_DOWNLOAD_LOCATION

[Opera - Saved Passwords]

ID=2182

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3109

WarningRef=3202

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_PASSWORD

[Opera - Session]

ID=2225

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3167

Default=True

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_SESSION

[Opera - Saved Form Information]

ID=2343

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3164

Default=False

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_FORM

[Opera - Website Icons]

ID=2149

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3166

Default=True

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_WEBSITE_ICONS

[Opera - Compact Databases]

ID=2344

LangSecRef=3027

LangRef=3165

Default=False

SpecialDetect=DET_OPERA

SpecialKey1=N_OPERA_COMPACT_DATABASES

I've searched both the pc and the entire registry for both N_OPERA_CACHE & DET_OPERA and no luck except in the exported winapp.ini file in CCleaner directory.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong in trying to delete the non-used CCleaner entries in my original post ?

Thanks...TiminAz

• Moderators

to keep it simple and have a trusted program like Revo do the hard work for you would be my recommendation.

as stated, I've tried it and it does what you want, and it's free

added benefit is it creates a restore point before each 'clean' so there is always that safety net.

of course, you could just leave the entries there in CC, they aren't causing any problems.

most of the entries that CC continues to show that have physically been removed come from the CURRENT_USER\Software registry hive key.

so, if using Revo, when I wanted an old Foxit entry wiped from the list I had to tell Revo to search for Foxit Reader which is what is was known has in the registry.

always weigh up the current problem against any potential problems caused by trying to remedy the original problem. (you know what i mean)

as with any excursion into the Registry - take care.

to keep it simple and have a trusted program like Revo do the hard work for you would be my recommendation.

as stated, I've tried it and it does what you want, and it's free

added benefit is it creates a restore point before each 'clean' so there is always that safety net.

of course, you could just leave the entries there in CC, they aren't causing any problems.

most of the entries that CC continues to show that have physically been removed come from the CURRENT_USER\Software registry hive key.

so, if using Revo, when I wanted an old Foxit entry wiped from the list I had to tell Revo to search for Foxit Reader which is what is was known has in the registry.

always weigh up the current problem against any potential problems caused by trying to remedy the original problem. (you know what i mean)

as with any excursion into the Registry - take care.

Thanks to all...finally got it all cleaned up....been using REVO for years...yes...it's a great program....had to also do a little registry search and destroy to get rid of all entries...thanks again to all...

TiminAz