CCleaner and complete loss of audio

smsteger89

Hi, I downloaded CCleaner and upon restart, lost my audio. I checked off the standard stuff. That is, default. I have no idea how to get my audio back. I tried system restoring but that didn't work. I have tried to uninstall and re-install the drivers numerous times, but I still don't get my audio back. It had to be CCleaner, because it literally worked right before I restarted. After that, no more sound. 

• 1 month later...

Okay, so after about 50 restarts, and like 3 different attempts with different restore techniques, it's back. I'm gonna chalk this up to luck, lol

any idea what you did?  This happened to me and I have reinstalled the driver many times, and system restore and nothing has worked.  How long before it started working?

• Moderators

Second thread closed, see my note there if you've questions on that

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Are your speakers plugged in? :)

First place I'd check.

Try the jack on the back of the PC, unplug it and then plug it back in.

If the speakers are powered unplug them from the wall outlet and plug them back in - this can be a common problem during a power failure for various external hardware; speakers, printer/scanner, etc.

First place I'd check.

Try the jack on the back of the PC, unplug it and then plug it back in.

If the speakers are powered unplug them from the wall outlet and plug them back in - this can be a common problem during a power failure for various external hardware; speakers, printer/scanner, etc.

Nergal thought this was my thread, and closed mine, so I might as well respond here.  I am having a similar problem and have gone through a lot of troubleshooting steps.  After going back to manufacturer audio driver and BIOS the issue seems to be that the headphones are not being recognized when plugged in.  The front headphone jack is recognized, but I think it not working is tied to the rear not being identified.  I had some issues on newer realtek drivers with the rear speaker output being listed as an input, but with the driver I have now everything seems to be identified correctly, but it is just listed as disconnected in playback devices because it is not registering.  Could this be due to something deleted from the registry?  Why would this not be restored from the either the ccleaner backup or from the system restore?  Can I check if anything is missing by looking at the ccleaner backup? 

• Moderators

Oops, you are correct; I mistook this for @nstong's thread. I've reopened the thread belonging to him. (See folks this is what occurs from piggy backing on other people's threads (and also from tapatalk android app not properly showing quoted messages on this forum (and from me being a complete :censored: and not paying attention well enough, for which I apologize to @smsteger89 and nstong, as well as the entire community, profusely.)))

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 6 years later...

I see that I'm not the first one to have the experience of losing sound for being curious enough to test the new CCleaner browser. ALL THE REASONS IN THIS THREAD IS A WASTE OF TIME AND YOU NEED TO REALIZE THAT YOUR CCLEANER BROWSER INSTALLER IS THE FAULT TRASHING PEOPLES COMPUTERS! No I did not have any virus! No there was no issues with drivers!  I removed CCleaner Browser with Revo Uninstaller and rebooted the computer - no sound. Removed the installed sound drivers and let Windows 7 reinstall the drivers - no sound. Tried to update the CODECS with Driver Easy Pro - no sound! Did a full system restore to a restore point from the day before and YES the sound came back! Started up again and found out that my Brave browser was trashed and I had to reinstall it. Mozilla firefox browser was trashed and would not start up and had also to be repaired with reinstall. So all in all I wasted 1 hour of my production time for being curious of testing something new which trashed my sound and my existing browsers. Yes I run Windows 7 and for many reasons I do not accept and like Windows 10 which we don't have to bring up here. But you home boyz at CCleaner have some work to do before you roll out something that is trashing our sound drivers and installed browsers. And you expect us to pay for your never ending useless updates??  Barf!!

• Moderators

You have posted on a thread from 2014 which was about CCleaner and not CCleaner Browser.

As CCleaner Browser was only released last year your tirade has no relevance whatsoever to this six year old thread.

If you are having a problem with CCleaner Browser then please post again in the CCleaner Browser forum.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043