Why is Defraggler the slowest Defragger?

berryracer

I tried all Defragmenters but I like Defragger because I can get a portable version that doesn't have any of these gimmicks which actually slow my system down like prevent defragmentation before it occurs on the fly such as the one present in PerfectDisk, but defragmenting my 4TB external USB 3.0 HDD which takes about 1 hour on average with any other defragmenter now takes more than 24 hours with Defraggler. I have noticed this since more than a year and just tried to download Defraggler again hoping it has improved but same thing. Why is it so slow? Please improve it.

In some cases speed isn't the answer. For example burning a CD/DVD.

My understanding with Defrag the slower (well to a point) the better as this allows for files to read and move more thoroughly.
Personally I would rather wait a bit more than losing all my files due to corruption.

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah but man a full day to defrag a drive that's insane. I've tried every defragmenter out there and the difference is night and day!

O&O Defrag, Perfect Disk, Ultra Defrag, Puran Defrag, Auslogics Disk Defrag, they all finish within 10% of the time Defraggler needs to finish. Don't tell me all thoe big companies and apps paid and free don't know what they're doing and Defraggler is doing something right that they aren't. That's just not right.

None of us on the forum (I think) will say that there is a peace of software out there that does not have problems.

O&O Defrag, Perfect Disk, Ultra Defrag, Puran Defrag, Auslogics Disk Defrag....

This is just a rhetorical question, how do we know the mentioned software is doing something right or even wrong, if every company has their own way of doing things ?

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

• Moderators

If all those others are that much faster than DF, there must be something DF does that they don't.

Or they are taking some sort of shortcut.

A good test would be to run them then run DF and see what DF does on top of what they did.

Then get the drive nice and frag'd again (there is surprisingly a program that does that).

Then run DF first then run the others to see what they do with the drive.

But for me, I don't care how long the job takes.

I only run it a few times a year, I know it's going to take longer than I care to wait so I set it off as I go to bed and tell it to shutdown the pc when it's done.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...

Moderator - This is not advertising, this is only a suggestion

berryracer - Any software has pros and cons.
 If you want to quickly defragment a disk, use:

O&O Defrag

STEALTH
The STEALTH method is by far the fastest of all methods. It adds the file fragments together and makes for a quick clean up your hard disk. It requires very little time and very little resources, meaning it almost works “under the radar” of the user. It is particularly suitable if you want to quickly defragment a computer, but have only a little time and resources at your disposal.

I checked and it works really fast on hdd 2-3 TB (test)

• Moderators

Enough this this a official forum and the discussion of alternative products is, with good reason, prohibited.

Whether it is advertising or not I think this ia better discussed in a non-biased website.

Thread closed

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

@berryracer if you realllly must have it reopened I will, I know the digression it took was not your intention

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com