new v2.01.239 - Idle Time defrag question...

luckman212

Hi guys, thanks for the new improvements in Defraggler! :)

My question is about the new "idle time" schedule option.

I see that you're using Windows Task Scheduler to implement this. Fine. The question is, what happens let's say, if the machine is idle for 3 hours, and DF starts to work, and then the user starts to use the machine again. Will DF just keep forging ahead or will it "pause" to allow the user to work comfortably and then resume when the machine becomes idle again?

Because if the task does not stop when the machine ceases to be idle, then it's not "really" an idle-time defrag now is it? thanks much for your response.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume it's referring to idle process priority which basically means Defraggler runs in the background unnoticed.

If other applications are hammering the CPU or resources Defraggler would have to until the system is in an idle state.

Richard S.

I think the "idle" in this case just refers to when the system's Task Scheduler launches the df.exe process. But once it starts, I don't think the actual defrag runs with idle priority. Nor does it seem to yield to user activity once you start using the system again-- at least not in my limited testing. I think what would be better is something like a "screensaver defrag" that runs only while the screensaver is on. Pretty sure DiskKeeper had something like that and it seemed like a good idea.

Hi,

Once, Daily, Monthly, Idle etc. are triggers for the defrag, so they determine when Defraggler will be started. In the case of idle trigger, after the defrag is started, Defraggler will not stop/pause when computer activity increases. We may implement such feature in the feature though.

Best regards

Romanoff

Okay, that's what I thought- thanks for the confirmation. Yes I think would be a great idea to have df.exe be able to sort of throttle itself back if other programs start to use cpu/disk heavily so the defrag could continue in the background without slowing down the system too much. But I realize that might be a fairly complex bit of code.

• 1 month later...