Include an option to move selected folder to end of drive.

The shell extension only provides the option to analyze and defrag the selected folder. It would be great if we had an another option to move the folder to end of drive. 

Just for an example, My music folder. Say I have formatted my drive and have a clean windows installation. After that I defrag the drive. And then I move my music folder to C (I use iTunes). After some days, all the windows files are over and under the iTunes files. So, why not move the iTunes folder to end of the drive. It's not going to defragment any way. 

The point is, Defraggler provides a good option to move large files to end of the drive. It would be a strong and a beneficiary point for Defraggler to provide such an option. If the user knows what small files won't be defragged, he should be able to move them to the end of the drive.

• Moderators

+1

not so much via the context menu, but just the option in general.

it's been stated before, more times than I can recall, all you can hope for is someone, somewhere in the know, deems it worthy enough to implement.

Devs do see these posts, so they are aware of any suggestions.

(just don't hold your breathe)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 4 weeks later...
So, why not move the iTunes folder to end of the drive. It's not going to defragment any way.
No? Why wouldn't it defrag.. & anyway, what are the benefits of moving a folder to the end of the drive - plus, even if it IS moved, what'll happen when more files are added to that folder and it's sitting on the last sector.Then "On most harddisks the beginning of the harddisk is considerably faster than the end, sometimes by as much as 200 percent!".. Finally, that just isn't the way the (any defrag) software works - quite simply. =)Edit: Some of the strategies

Files are organized by their creation and modified dates. The theory is that files that have not changed recently are less likely to change in the future. These older files are grouped together so that once PerfectDisk has SMARTPlaced them, future defragmentation passes are less likely to move them again. This shortens the amount of time needed to keep the drive at peak performance. Also the free space is consolidated next to the newer files since these are more likely to change or be deleted. Consolidating the free space makes the creation of new files contiguous and therefore minimizes refragmentation of your drive.
^^ Pretty sure that some variation of this is included in teh Defraggler and/or the API it's utilizing (it would only make sense :))

mcdty0-2.png

• Moderators

@nostro, links to competing software products are frowned upon.

• Moderators

Links removed

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 4 months later...

I came looking to see if this subject had been discussed and I see it has. I'll throw my vote in for such a feature.

For example, I've got Microsoft Encarta installed and hardly ever use it, but I like having it when I need it. It's huge and really slows down defrags. Moving the whole thing out of the way at the end of the drive would be fantastic.

• Moderators

I know it's not the offered suggestion, which personally I would like seen implemented, but a work around is to click the File List tab, Analyse, sort by Path, select the files required, right click and choose Move Highlighted to End of Drive.

Thanks mta. I thought there might be a workaround, just needed someone to light the way. :)  Analysis just shows fragmented files, but I did a search for every file containing a dot (period) including non-fragmented files, then sorted by path. I think that could work. Right now I'm using another defragger that can move whole folders to the end but there are other things about it I don't much care for. I prefer Defraggler, so the next time I'm feeling adventurous I'll give this a try.

• Moderators

Ah, I see, sorry, I didn't realise you wanted to move unfragged data.

But your Search idea will achieve what you want.

Yep. Good idea. Add an option to move entire folders to the end of the drive.

I make a backup every week. When I need to copy the files from the backup to the HDD then Windows will place a lot of or even every file in the middle of the drive instead of at the beginning. But what I don't like is that Windows wants to move those files (gradually over time) back to the beginning of the drive.

I have some 5 folders that I open only 2 or 3 times every month and then I wouldn't mind that opening those folders takes a bit longer.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

My belief is confirmed. Did a test and manually moved some files to the end, then ran a normal defrag and they were all moved back to the beginning. It seems this funcationality would have to be added. Hopefully we'll see it implemented in a future release.

I tried a standard defrag, not quick, since that's the type of defrag I normally use. I think a quick defrag would probably yield the same outcome though. For example, if I moved all files in the Microsoft Encarta folder to the end, there wouldn't be any way to exclude all the different types of files. They're all different sizes and extensions. The only way I know of to exclude the files at the end of the drive is in the Defrag options for Defragging Free Space.

**UPDATE**

Just tried the same thing only using Quick Defrag and Default Rules. It didn't move any files back to the beginning, but it's possible no files met the criteria of the default rules, and there was no fragmentation to start with, so I'm not sure how this would work out in the real world.

**UPDATE**

Ahh, okay. If you add a custom exclusion from the Exclude tab it leaves them alone. I added the original folder  that the files came from and it left them at the end of the drive. Thanks all, I think it should be a good workaround. :)

No, this isn't a "Workaround", it's one of the features of the "Normal" defragmentation !!! But you've stumbled upon something confusing in Defraggler. When I correctly read the documentation then the "Quick Defrag" options are for the "Quick Defrag" defragmentation and not the "Normal" defragmentation.

But I still would like to see an option called "Move files to the end of the drive". Then the user can - in combination with the other existing options move selected files to the end of the drive. Then Defraggler will have evolved into a GOOD disk/file organizer program.

"Move files to the end of the drive" option: I DO hope it will be added to Defraggler !!!!!

• 1 month later...

@nostro, links to competing software products are frowned upon.

Links removed

Um, did I not put them in CODE tags and/or NOT make the links live? Why remove them? o.0

No big deal, ofc., just didn't expect the Nazi (edit, erm :-)) Soviet-like treatment, lolz. xD

Edit: Thanks 4 the heads-up, in any case. :)

(Don't mean to drag this on, by any means (!); sending a pm; ty!)

Edited by Nostromov

mcdty0-2.png

• Moderators
Um, did I not put them in CODE tags and/or NOT make the links live? Why remove them? o.0No big deal, ofc., just didn't expect the Nazi treatment, lolz. xDEdit: Thanks 4 the heads-up, in any case. :)

Not "nazi" about it; this is an official site for a private software company, why would we, as the volunteer moderator work force, be allowed to allow other companies competing software to be mentioned in benign or, really, malign manners especially links (coded or not). Also you don't mean "nazi", "dictatorship" maybe or "totalitarian"; heck, I'd even accept "Soviet-like", but in no way "Nazi".

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com