Removal of duplicate files using CCleaner.

Since the installation of Windows 10 (from Windows 7) a few weeks ago, I've been having trouble trying to delete duplicate files, using CCleaner. Most of these files have 'old windows' in their text (probably relating to my now defunct Windows 7). I have never had so many duplicate files since the upgrade (maybe 300 or more). Every time I try to delete them, they just won't budge! I've uninstalled and re-installed CCleaner, and even carried out a system restore of my whole laptop, but they remain. Any help on this problem would be much appreciated. Thank you. Peter.​               

• Moderators

You need to properly clean the windows.old folder. Instead of using ccleaner to remove duplicates from it do the following

Open the windows.old folder

Look through it (paying special attention to the "program files" and "users" folders) for anything you might want to save and remove those to your new desktop.

Right click the system drive and choose properties. Go tools tab and click clean drive. Tell it to clean system files (will ask for uac approval). Roll down in the list to "old windows installation" (I believe it is called that) check it and run the clean.

Better instructions here (works for 7/8/10)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19151-windows-old-folder-delete.html

Do note that after doing this you will no longer have the option to roll back to windows 7

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com