Ccleaner can't clean the "toolbar_log" .txt file in temp nor erase it in recycle folders

Francesco64

Hi, I am a newbie here, with a question about a problem. I have a .txt fie in "C:\Users\bubu\AppData\Local\Temp" folder, and I noticed it increases size more and more as I use the computer, called "toolbar_log". I read on the Web that some Pc users had lots of space used by it, until 2 Gb and more! Some suggests that it should be related to AVG Secure Search element or AVG Security toolbar, can't remember exactly now. CCleaner shows me the file in the cleaning window, but can't clean it or erase it,even after a long time. Erasing it manually from the folder, it immediately appears again,with a little size, increasing. Ccleaner can't erase it from the bin, even if I try to give it another name in the temp folder before erasing manually. I tried with the program " Eraser ", and I managed to erase it from the bin. Any suggestions about how to make Ccleaner, that is one of my favourite programs, to solve the problem? Maybe someone could suggest the Piriform staff to improve the program under this point of view? Thanks a lot for answering, I am italian,so excuse me for errors writing this thread. Oh, by the way, also the other files in the screen shot image couldn't be erased as well. Why? Ok, really stop now .-)FreeScreenVideoRecorderImage.BMP

• Moderators

For me, with the file being a LOG file and living in a TEMP folder, that signals it as being able to be deleted.

It this file is connected to AVG usage, you or CC may be prevented from removing it while AVG has it locked.

I have AVG Internet Security but have never installed the Secure Search or Toolbar features as I have no need for them.

But if you are happy to delete whatever AVG keeps in that log file, and CC can't do it through normal means, you can run CC from Safe Mode, that way AVG should not have locked file access.

If you do want the info and have room to spare for it's file size increases, you could add it to the Exclude list in CC.

But either way - manually delete or Exclude it from CC - it'll always be there unless you turn off those AVG features.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

In your situation I would delete the FILE toolbar_log.txt and immediately replace it with a FOLDER toolbar_log.txt.

AVG Internet Security might not like it but there is nothing it can do about it until it becomes as devious as me :)

• Moderators

If you do not want AVG secure search then uninstall it.

It is done through your browser ad-ons.

Here are the instructions.

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/secure-search-uninstall

And if you do want secure search:

Run Analysis in ccleaner

Find the entry in Temporary files

Right Click it and add to exclude.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks You all, friends, for these adviceses and for the next ones to come. Yes, they seem wise and complete, maybe i don't really need those AVG options, after all.... I like the way Alan_B suggests me to trick the program, but it appears again at the speed of light after erasing........ :D . See You next time!