Suggestion to speedup Defraggler

calthax

• Moderators

what does 50M/64M mean?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

this option is available on --> settings--> options--> quick defrag

3dde36-1445808087.jpg

but its not exactly your suggestion

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

this option is available on --> settings--> options--> quick defrag

3dde36-1445808087.jpg

but its not exactly your suggestion

My suggestion is to replace Default Defrag with a combination of Quick Defrag then Regular Defrag. Quick Defrag is faster than Regular Defrag because it does fragments smaller than 50Mb/64Mb. and reduces the amount of work that Regular Defrag has to do. so I do it first then Regular Defrag to speed up Defraggler.

And what would that achieve? Regular defrag is slow because the algorithm starts to do something weird while shuffling small data and not optimizing cpu use. And this is a long shot...

What I meant was that doing Quick Defrag first then Regular Defrag for fragments smaller than 50Mb/64Mb reduces amount of work that Regular Defrag has to do so it makes Regular Defrag faster

I am not entirely sure about your statement being true. I think regular defrag just chokes on the "filling gaps" part. I am not sure though.

I am saying this because I think regular defrag will still take A LONG TIME even if you invoke it on an already defragmented partition.

PS - I am sorry but I have made a test that proves that your theory isn't true. I just did a quick defrag on a 400GB+ data partition.

0 fragmented files

0 fragmentation

little free space gaps

and it choked about 10% doing what it seemed folder processing (little hd activity) AT SNAIL PACE.

So... it doesn't work...

I am not entirely sure about your statement being true. I think regular defrag just chokes on the "filling gaps" part. I am not sure though.

I am saying this because I think regular defrag will still take A LONG TIME even if you invoke it on an already defragmented partition.

PS - I am sorry but I have made a test that proves that your theory isn't true. I just did a quick defrag on a 400GB+ data partition.

0 fragmented files

0 fragmentation

little free space gaps

and it choked about 10% doing what it seemed folder processing (little hd activity) AT SNAIL PACE.

So... it doesn't work...

Ok you win. folder processing needs to be way faster or removed for my idea to work.