CCleaner Vs. Google Chrome Incognito for Deleting Cached Images

vectra2000

I've been a daily user of CCleaner for many years, but this is my first time in the forums, so hello, and thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I just bought a refurbished PC with a fresh install oh WINXP, Service Pack 3. I use Google Chrome as my browser. I like the Incognito mode for the concept that it reduces my traces of browsing and somewhat protects my privacy. But I have always wondered if images remain on my PC somehow.

Let's say I am browsing a site with hundreds or thousands of thumbnail pictures and I use the regular, non-Incognito version of Chrome. I know that the images are cached and are securely deleted when I run CCleaner (right?). But what about Incognito mode? Are the images securely deleted by either Chrome OR CCleaner? Were they ever cached in the first place? Were they "deleted" but still recoverable because they weren't securley deleting with multiple wipes like CCleaner uses?

I understand this question may belong in a Google Chrome forum instead of a CCleaner forum, but I have tried there with limited results. I was wondering if any of the people in this forum have knowledge of Incognito browsing as it relates to CCleaner.

Incognito mode (browse in private)

Chrome probably loads cache to RAM so the files won't appear on HDD. I don't have Chrome installed so can't test, but if Chrome does load them (and loads them on HDD, not RAM), it probably deletes them after you close Chrome/change back to normal browsing.

IMO in normal browsing CCleaner should clean Chrome cache/files properly.

Edited by nodles

another newbie here. this is a topic has elusive answers. i haven't broken the code yet myself, but I can heartily recommend that you download and run Piriform's Recuva software. run it before and after you think your browser in secure mode has removed your images and their thumbnails. i think that you will be very surprised to find some images left on your harddrive, also, i would assume that you are overwriting with three passes.

It seems simple enough: Incognito mode = no browsing history.

But it turns out that there is another popular web add-on that ignores Incognito mode and creates its own history without you knowing about it.

This would be Adobe Flash. It leaves behind “Local Shared Object” files that act as a parallel record of visited websites (if they use flash).

Since many sites with ads or video use Flash, the record is fairly complete.

To view what Flash is storing about you, visit:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html