CCleaner not deleting chrome history

apolymath

Hey, i'm running the latest version of both chrome(Version 48.0.2564.103 m) & cleaner(v5.14.5493 64bit) on windows 10.

Even though i have ccleaner set to clear chrome history, it isn't working, ill reopen chrome after running ccleaner, and all the history will still be there. I'm pretty sure this just started happening after a chrome update this morning. Maybe look into it? If you need more info i could post screen shots or something.

• Moderators

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=40285&do=findComment&comment=244877

EDIT

Also ccleaner cannot support beta versions as the developers get them the same time you do

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Nergal, read your entry244877, unchecked the box where it says to continue runnig background apps when browser is closed.

Never signed in or ever used the sync settings.

Didn't make a difference.

Both the stable and beta versions updates did something to go around CCleaner now.

Tried on 7 different desktops and one old laptop.

• Moderators

Nergal, read your entry244877, unchecked the box where it says to continue runnig background apps when browser is closed.

Never signed in or ever used the sync settings.

Didn't make a difference.

Both the stable and beta versions updates did something to go around CCleaner now.

Tried on 7 different desktops and one old laptop.

Thanks for the detailed report.

The developers read every thread, though rarely comment, I'm sure they will look into this issue with a core feature

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Hello,

I believe this issue is widespread.

I have tested both CCleaner FREE and Pro on clean machines and virtual machines. And I have the same issue even on a fresh installation of Windows.

I also don't use Google services such as: Gmail, YouTube, etc! - Which some moderators are claiming that if we are signed in which is the reasoning for our history being restored, etc! However it may be true if we all were signed into Google. However I only use Google for the browser and nothing else. So that theory about users being signed in can be thrown out the window at least in this case. Scratch the last sentence wasn't intentional and I apologize.

• Moderators

@mmjr2000 I'm not sure why you hold my pointing out the reason this has, in the past, occurred (so much so that we made it a sticky thread) as somehow being insulting, but that was not the intent.

I am not at your multiple PCs, thus how am I to know what features, of a application causing trouble, that a user uses. I pointed to steps that have worked, previous to this current bug. I in no way stated that anyone who wrote that they had checked those reasons off the troubleshooting list was in any way disingenuous, and, in fact, have assured thread participants that the developers read the threads and the only unsupported case was those using beta software.

Perhaps dial back the accusations, next time

@mmjr2000 I'm not sure why you hold my pointing out the reason this has, in the past, occurred (so much so that we made it a sticky thread) as somehow being insulting, but that was not the intent.

I am not at your multiple PCs, thus how am I to know what features, of a application causing trouble, that a user uses. I pointed to steps that have worked, previous to this current bug. I in no way stated that anyone who wrote that they had checked those reasons off the troubleshooting list was in any way disingenuous, and, in fact, have assured thread participants that the developers read the threads and the only unsupported case was those using beta software.

Perhaps dial back the accusations, next time

Hello,

I wasn't trying to be rude, disrespectful or making any accusations. If you read it that way I'm sorry. In fact I am glad you posted what you posted above about being signed in, etc! I only referenced that way just in case people did have problems with the method you mentioned above along with those that don't use the services like signing in, etc!

I apologize. I really didn't mean what I was saying in a bad way at all.

Hey, guys! 

Just wanted to add that I started having the same problem yesterday. When I analyze with ccleaner it says there are files to remove from chrome. When I click run cleaner, it says that they have been deleted. When I analyze it again, it shows that there are no more files to delete. But when I open chrome the history is still there. 

I'm using the latest version of chrome and ccleaner. I unchecked the box that let's background apps run when the browser is closed, and I have never synced/signed in to my browser. 

I appreciate all the work the developers do. I've used ccleaner for years now, it's a great app!

Guest Steve Piriform

Hi all,

The developers have confirmed there is an issue, and are working on a fix.

Thanks very much for posting about your experiences with it.

I am a software developer not associated with this company.  From a technical support viewpoint, when a user submits a possible issue, I look to see if the issue had previously been reported and resolved then I send the user that link, which in this case was done.  So, the response was the correct one to begin with.

Only when the issue appears to be more widespread do I spend more time looking into it, as this issue has proven to be a widespread one as demonstrated by the number of reports in a single day.

When you develop a software package that depends on other software and vendors, you cannot always anticipate when a software change in the other software will impact your software.

From the view of a technical outsider, it would appear that Chrome made a change that impacted CCleaner. 

We did our jobs and brought it to their attention.  We now need to give the developers a chance to investigate and resolve this issue.

Same problem ... please do not point me to the "fix" http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=40285&do=findComment&comment=244877 or any other "FIX" because it is nonsense.

Chrome Version 48.0.2564.103 m is NOT logged in,.signed in , or anything else in to Google; and all the right settings are there for CC.

Bought the CC pro upgrade version, 5.14.5493, but still not fixe - so particularly annoyed at 20+ bucks for no difference,

Looks like you chaps, despite CC having worked so well for years, have tripped up on this one...

So, please get "Clear Browsing Data Since the beginning of Time" == "CTRL+SHIFT+DEL" CC Functionality fixed for Chrome!

It appears that history file in the chrome profile folder in which history is stored is being ignored by CCleaner, so I believe that is the issue.

(It is what we buy your product for, after all - what would you do if you took your car to get valeted and it cam back with a big stain on the seat every time?)

Thanks

• Moderators

The have already stated that the are working on a fix, I'm not sure where all the vitriol is coming from in this reply above me.

It feels a bit trolly when you type replies like those of @Question42. @billiam904, on the other hand, makes a good point, about you users having "done your jobs; without this community all coming together, to show that this bug wasn't the usual fixable issue (which @Question42 would have known if they had bothered to have read the thread) it may not have given the developers the information they needed to call it a bug. So a big hand to all of you who've replied civilly here, those of you should be proud of yourselves.

• Moderators

if it can be fixed straight away, it should be in the next release, which tend to be monthly (give or take).

but of course there is no way of knowing that it will be in the next release.

all you, and everyone else can do, is check the Announcements thread (but the Admins have missed a couple recently but forum members have raised the alert instead). :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

The have already stated that the are working on a fix, I'm not sure where all the vitriol is coming from in this reply above me.

It feels a bit trolly when you type replies like those of @Question42. @billiam904, on the other hand, makes a good point, about you users having "done your jobs; without this community all coming together, to show that this bug wasn't the usual fixable issue (which @Question42 would have known if they had bothered to have read the thread) it may not have given the developers the information they needed to call it a bug. So a big hand to all of you who've replied civilly here, those of you should be proud of yourselves.

This is certainly NOT a new issue with CC.  It's been an issue since I started using it.  I've put up with it not for days or weeks but months, maybe years now, and finally decided that this just can't be acceptable for a paid service and a very popular browser.  I tried their so-called fix which doesn't fix anything, eg, unclick the box that allows processes to run in the background, yet Piriform continues to display it as the fix! CC cleans away a little bit of IE dust in the corner but leaves a steaming pile of Chrome crap in the middle of the floor (3GB the last time!!, after I noticed videos were freezing up). Problem is that Piriform has known this for a long time.  Again, this is not a recent problem with recent upgrades.

As I was looking through Chrome internal settings, perhaps there is a way to clean Chrome internally. I need to confirm it with a good CC cleaning, which unfortunately at the moment wipes all of Chrome off the GUI...have to re-initate all sites and pages. If I can do it internally within Chrome that would be a good thing, but then, of course, I would have NO need for CC. So this fix needs to be done NOW, or CC needs to tell us they can't, and those of us that use Chrome will simply unsubscribe. If this were a free service, sure, lots of slack given.  But CC Pro is not some free service, meaning this fix shouldn't come from the goodness of their hearts, but from good business practices. This isn't "vitriol"...this is a disatisfied customer that wants to know that the fix is imminent, not be told to shut up and be patient we're working on it.

ok. this is getting ridiculous at this point.  it has been about 3 weeks now since we first reported the issue and I was very supportive until now.  Now, the issue is happening in the older version I installed.  I bought this software specifically to clean my browser history AND IT DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE.  As a software developer myself and a person who has managed software development teams, it is unacceptable to allow this type of bug to interfere with your customer's ability to use the software for this long.  If I were managing this team and it took this long to fix a bug that directly affected the software's ability to function, someone would lose their job.  If it doesn't get fixed soon, I will no longer do business with this company.

• Moderators

as you have the Pro version, have you raised a support ticket directly with Piriform?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I realize ccleaner does more than just wipe your browser history, but it is kind of ridiculous that it's been over 2 weeks and you guys haven't fixed it yet. Can't you just look at the changelog for 48.0.2564.109?

Chrome has updated yet again on the 18th Feb to stable build 48.0.2564.116.

On Feb 3rd it was stable build 48.0.2564.103

On Feb 9th it was stable build 48.0.2564.109

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/stable-channel-update_18.html

I'm sure the ccleaner devs are tearing their hair out trying to get a fix out.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com