skipped files

lichlord

• Moderators

Yes, you need to make sure firefox is fully exited. sometimes mozilla maintenance service or a badly written plug-in keeps Firefox running in the background, so you'll need to check the processes or details tab of your task manager, then kill any errant firefox or plugin container processes.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The same goes if you use Firefox Portable and have CCleaner configured to clean it, if/when it doesn't close you'll see a firefox.exe process running and killing it via Task Manager will then allow FirefoxPortable.exe to also fully close and cleanup the temp files.

• 3 weeks later...

Good points are mentioned by Nergal and Andavari. More importantly, some FF plugins may not properly release their hold on FF bookmarks when FF is closed. Task Manager may show that FF is not running. The issue is that the FF bookmarks files may not have been properly updated and closed when exiting FF. If you manually back up your improperly closed FF bookmarks (via file copy using Windows Explorer), and then later restore them, your restored bookmarks may be corrupt such that you can't add new bookmarks. Ccleaner does check for this issue when it runs, and Ccleaner fixes this issue. The moral of the story is, before backing up your FF bookmarks and user profile, always run Ccleaner first so that Ccleaner can fix these issues, before backing up your FF bookmarks or your entire FF user profile. A few years ago I learned this the hard way. Thank goodness that Ccleaner recognizes and fixes this issue.

So whenever I decide to back up my entire FF user profile (which includes bookmarks, settings, installed plugins, et cetera), I do the following:

1. Close FF.

2. Run Ccleaner.

3. Make a backup copy of my FF user profile to another folder on my computer.

The one thing I don't do is to let Ccleaner compact FF's databases since I have not thoroughly tested this feature and since I really don't see that this is really necessary. I have thousands of FF bookmarks, all neatly organized into hundreds of bookmark folders, plus around two dozen installed FF themes, plugins and extensions. Yet my entire FF profile (which also includes all installed themes, plugins and extensions) is only 73 MB.