Invalid Firewall Rule

twoteles

Since upgrading to CC v3.05.1408 and running a registry scan, I am seeing multiple entries to clean which says "Invalid Firewall Rule".

As well as showing programmes I have on my computer, there are listings showing many I do not have - such as AOL, AVG, Opera, Live Messenger and so on. I never had this problem before the latest CC was installed.

Any ideas or suggestions here please?

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!"

I wouldn't touch the "Invalid Firewall Rule" thing at this point.

Where would AOL, AVG, Opera, Live Messenger, etc. listings appear actually? On the Registry scan, on the program uninstaller section or the junk file cleaner section??

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

They all appear after I click on > Registry > Scan for Issues. Needless to say I did not run the clean 'fix selected issues'.

In total, there are about 900 items listed!!

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It!"

• Moderators
there are listings showing many I do not have - such as AOL, AVG, Opera, Live Messenger and so on

I'd say it's fine to remove old firewall rules for programs you don't have.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I'd say it's fine to remove old firewall rules for programs you don't have.

Yes, and many programs that add themselves into Windows firewall as "Exceptions" don't remove their references during uninstall. The same can be said about programs inputting themselves into the Data Execution Prevention ("DEP") area as well.

I am also getting many, many "Invalid Firewall Rules" when I run the Registry scan (with new CC version). The majority of them refer to AOL which I removed from this computer. Can they be deleted? If I uncheck the "Obsolete Software," and run another Registry scan, those "Invalid Firewall Rules" files go away.

I've been told be a few people that since I am using Win 7 (64-Bit) that it is (would be) unwise to remove ANY files that CC Registry Scan finds, as it might "foul up" the workings for Win 7 (64-Bit) and other programs running on this Win 7 (64-Bit) computer.

I am confused as to what to do.

Does anyone know, for sure, if these "Invalid Firewall Rules" can be removed on a Win 7 (64-Bit) computer? I don't want to remove any Registry entries that would cause impact on other programs on this computer!

(Before these recent CCleaner version updates, I never had or saw all these files after a Registry scan!)

Can anyone offer any help? I am expecting that the files in the CC Registry scan continue to increase in the future.

Can anyone offer any help?

Alice, if I were in your slippers I'd ignore them cos leaving them in the registry will not affect performance. That's safer and will avert future hassles and headaches. They're not worth the angst.

Why not simply add them to your Exclude list? :)985ydw.jpg

Alice, if I were in your slippers I'd ignore them cos leaving them in the registry will not affect performance. That's safer and will avert future hassles and headaches. They're not worth the angst.

Why not simply add them to your Exclude list? :)985ydw.jpg

I was mainly referring to the many "Invalid Firewall Rules" files that have shown-up after the removal of the AOL. Are you saying to "ignore" all of there There are about 51? As I said, if I uncheck "Obsolete Software," all those Firewall items go away.

Here are just a few of them that were found on the Win 7 (64-Bit) computer after the new CC version was installed:

Missing Shared DLL C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\gp.ocx HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

Unused File Extension . HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.

Unused File Extension .DIR HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.DIR

Unused File Extension .idx HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.idx

Unused registry key .INF\OpenWithList HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.INF\OpenWithList

Unused registry key .msc\OpenWithList HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.msc\OpenWithList

Unused registry key .msi\OpenWithList HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.msi\OpenWithList

Invalid or empty file class .shtml\OpenWithProgids\shtmlfile HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.shtml\OpenWithProgids

Unused registry key .URL\OpenWithList HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.URL\OpenWithList

Invalid firewall rule NetPres-In-TCP-NoScope - %SystemRoot%\system32\netproj.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule NetPres-Out-TCP-NoScope - %SystemRoot%\system32\netproj.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule NetPres-WSD-In-UDP - %SystemRoot%\system32\netproj.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule NetPres-WSD-Out-UDP - %SystemRoot%\system32\netproj.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule NetPres-In-TCP - %SystemRoot%\system32\netproj.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule NetPres-Out-TCP - %SystemRoot%\system32\netproj.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {B16523A4-2023-4662-9D6F-ECD4EFA4055B} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTE.EXE HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {C1537D4C-1010-400C-8156-8E8C5D26BF71} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTE.EXE HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {8E58CB19-6942-4C86-A2C8-A828B9F9AFBE} - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerCinema\PCMService.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {9FFF6C4F-EF11-4509-9981-8FD083197909} - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerCinema\Kernel\DMP\CLBrowserEngine.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {D53308B0-758C-40C4-A869-401A6DF018FC} - C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerCinema\Kernel\DMS\CLMSService.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {7BA985F8-28F5-4E98-B274-57CCB2E414CE} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\aol\acs\AOLDial.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {CDB121BA-55CB-409E-84F7-2FE99D120DF0} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\aol\acs\AOLDial.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {7F6F1668-5E96-45A0-8D3F-334BAFCDA0D9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\aol\acs\AOLacsd.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Invalid firewall rule {3B2B4847-E41A-4A68-A737-98135A1FA2EB} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\aol\acs\AOLacsd.exe HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules

Are you saying to "ignore" all of there There are about 51? As I said, if I uncheck "Obsolete Software," all those Firewall items go away.

Yes, I'd ignore 'em by unchecking ☐Obsolete Software. That's a tad easier than excluding them.

After all, 51 items are such a small amount in the registry big picture.

Yes, I'd ignore 'em by unchecking ☐Obsolete Software. That's a tad easier than excluding them.

After all, 51 items are such a small amount in the registry big picture.

Thank you.

May I ask why you would UNcheck the "Obsolete Software" and not just delete them? As I mentioned, the majority of them refer to the uninstalled AOL program. Or are you thinking it would be better to uncheck the "Obsolete Software" because deleting them might "screw-up" this Win 7 (64-Bit) computer?

We also show practicaly the same thing on our Vista (32-Bit) after a CC Registry Scan. I guess you would say to UNcheck the Obsolete Software in the Vista also?

This is all so very, very confusing for us beginners.

I guess we should NEVER look in the Registry again (with CC) or DELETE any items from it with regard to our Win 7 (64-Bit) computer and our Vista (32-Bit). Just let that Registry section "build-up" with items the Registry scan finds.

Thanks again

Alice

May I ask why you would UNcheck the "Obsolete Software" and not just delete them?

Because for now I share the concern ➷

I've been told be a few people that since I am using Win 7 (64-Bit) that it is (would be) unwise to remove ANY files that CC Registry Scan finds, as it might "foul up" the workings for Win 7 (64-Bit) and other programs running on this Win 7 (64-Bit) computer.

We also show practicaly the same thing on our Vista (32-Bit) after a CC Registry Scan. I guess you would say to UNcheck the Obsolete Software in the Vista also?

Yes.

Edit: When it comes to tweaking the registry I'm always apprehensive.

Because for now I share the concern ➷

How do you share same concern? Do you have Win 7 64-Bit? Or do you have a lot of Firewall files showing in the Registry scan?

Don't you do a Registry Scan any longer?

I've temporarily adopted the concerns expressed by a few others. Am still on Vista 32-bit for my personal equipment but later this year I'll spring for a 64-bit Win 7 box.

My current registry menu. DXH0W.jpg

I do scan but am very careful about what I fix, and fix only a few similar items each time, append an identifier to the title, and always backup. I wait some days or weeks before fixing more. 'tis better safe than sorry! I feel reducing the problem list is more cosmetic than essential.

I have no firewall stuff showing, had mostly recurring items that were needed or iffy so I just excluded them.

Lucky for me, I've not yet had to merge backups. :)

• Moderators

I'm surprised so many people are putting up with the newer versions showing all that reg data to remove with so many forum posts about "is this safe?", I'm using an old known safe version. Anyways onto the firewall rules; I'd personally open up Windows Firewall and manually myself deal with "invalids" for software I know I've removed, I wouldn't dare let any cleaning tool mess with one of the security features of Windows - paranoia or not it's just what I'd do.

I'm surprised so many people are putting up with the newer versions showing all that reg data to remove with so many forum posts about "is this safe?", I'm using an old known safe version. Anyways onto the firewall rules; I'd personally open up Windows Firewall and manually myself deal with "invalids" for software I know I've removed, I wouldn't dare let any cleaning tool mess with one of the security features of Windows - paranoia or not it's just what I'd do.

What version of CC are you using? I think it might be two versions prior to this current one I am using (3.05.1408). Is it 3.0.1366? When we didn't have all these problems with the Registry Cleaner? If we did download that 3.0.1366 version and clicked on the exe would it overwrite the current 3.05.1408 we are now using?

(P.S. We are using PC Tools Firewall (on the Win 7 64-Bit, Vista 32-Bit and WinXP computers) and we can't find any mention of AOL in the Applications.)

Alice

Anyone who advises that the Registry Cleaner will delete FILES should keep out of the registry,

they are a danger to themselves and others ! !

The registry holds KEYS and any VALUES, not FILES.

People with 32 bit machines are also seeing Invalid Firewall Rules because "everyone" wants a cleaner machine,

and we are all seeing the Piriform response of extra junk removal.

You are NOT seeing CCleaner ignorantly running amok on Win 7 64-bit.

There is danger for both 32 bit and 64 bit machines when cleaning the registry,

which is why CCleaner gives the option to make a backup.

Windows itself can totally trash the registry without any help from CCleaner,

so there are recommendations on this forum to backup the entire registry hives with ERUNT.

• Moderators

What version of CC are you using? I think it might be two versions prior to this current one I am using (3.05.1408). Is it 3.0.1366? When we didn't have all these problems with the Registry Cleaner? If we did download that 3.0.1366 version and clicked on the exe would it overwrite the current 3.05.1408 we are now using?

(P.S. We are using PC Tools Firewall (on the Win 7 64-Bit, Vista 32-Bit and WinXP computers) and we can't find any mention of AOL in the Applications.)

Alice

I'm using 3.03.1366, which that link to FileHippo loads the page for. As for downgrading I don't really know since I've never tried that, what I did was backup my ccleaner.ini file and winapp2.ini file, uninstalled the new version, then installed the old version I fully trust, and finally restored those two .ini files I made backups of at the beginning.

The firewall rules are most likely Windows Firewall, although you use a 3rd party firewall most applications that will write in exceptions will only do it in Windows Firewall. So you'd open up Security Center, then click the Windows Firewall link in it to display Windows Firewall. In Windows Firewall you can then manually remove exceptions for AOL and any other software that you know has been uninstalled.