Any Recommendation For A Window Manager?

nikki605

While there is a lot to like about Win7, the one thing that bugs me is that it doesn't remember the size & position of a (program) window when it is closed.  WinXP did remember the size & position.

I've read a lot of tech forum topics complaining about this 'feature' dating back to Win7's earliest days, with no apparent solution or workaround other than installing a window manager.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has used a window manager that they would recommend - free or paid?  Or, a workaround fix in Win7?

I don't want something with a lot of extra bells & whistles, just something that will re-open a window at it's last know size & position the way WinXP does.

Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

Thanks for the tip (I had not come across that one in my searches).  But I got mixed results. :wacko:

IE, Windows Explorer, Word & Excel did not remember the resized window.

Notepad, Acrobat & Firefox did remember the last size & position.

I didn't test every program on the laptop, just the ones I use most frequently.

I noticed one of the posts in the topic you linked to, recommended a program called AutoSizer (in the link to the MS topic).  But that was in answer to a question specifically about IE.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

When it comes to programs even on WinXP some revert back to their default size. I always have program windows maximized so for those that revert back I manually change their shortcut (.LNK) properties and set them to Maximized. Doesn't work with every program though that can't remember the size a user chose.

Example:

http://postimg.org/image/86rym13kp/

Edit:

Don't forget if you use 7-Zip it's File Manager window can work on a limited level for opening files, copying, moving, deleting, etc.

Edited by Andavari