Windows 8.1 borked updates

Winapp2.ini

Been tangling with this for over a month. My machine really hates 8.1 :lol:

Trying to start BITS gives an error of 0x80070422 which no one else seems to have ever seen on 8 or 8.1, the Microsoft Article only provides help up until Vista (the supplied FixIt doesn't run and the batch script doesn't fix the issue)

Seems to be a BITS issue, but whenever I run Windows Updates, the fail with the same error and say Windows is already installing updates. SFC and component store repairs haven't helped, I ran WinUpdateFix by Xplode (dev of adwcleaner) and also the Windows Update repairs from the All-In-One Toolkit, nothing doing so far.

Hm, strangest thing. I went in and checked my other services and a bunch of local network ones were disabled (I don't recall disabling them but I don't doubt that I did) including the one that identifies you with the intranet. It's been like this for so long that I figured Windows 8.1 just labeled Ethernet connections as Ethernet and not the SSID. I turned that back on, my SSID came back and the updates installed without issue.

:huh: Maybe my computer knew I was on to its shenanigans..

• Moderators

All the Windows Updates blues people have suffered with services and other very annoying crap for well over a decade now should've been completely rectified by Microsoft by now. If only they had made some standalone program that could check for updates, download them, etc., without relying upon the sometimes problematic Automatic Updates and BITS.

Agreed, didn't microsoft run an initiative with Vista to scale back all the complex dependencies of various subsystems and make things work a bit more standalone (or at least not have low level components dependent on high level ones, themselves dependent on low level ones)

• Moderators

Just look at .NET Framework updates alone as something that can be a major issue, those updates have bitten so many people right on the backside when something goes wrong in .NET Framework.