Microsoft Office Most Recently Used Documents

BWL

I've been reading in the forums and playing with CCleaner's configuration. I would like to run the program on a scheduled basis every night. It works great for that, but I'd like to leave the Most Recently Used (MRU) documents in the lists inside Word and Excel. I can't seem to find the correct combination of options to make this happen.

Welcome to Piriform BWL.

Well I haven't found a way to remove my recent files in Word or Excel not that it bothers me it doesn't. Thats the same for Win98 at home and WinXP at work neither of them clear with the standard setup. Davey or Dennis might suggest something when they come around.

This question as been asked before, try a search. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Which version of Office are you using? I have 2007 and made the following change to my winapp.ini

[Office 2007]
LangSecRef=3021
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common
Default=True
FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Office Word\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
;RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\File MRU
;RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\File MRU
;RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings|MRU1
;RegKey5=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings|MRU2
;RegKey6=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings|MRU3
;RegKey7=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings|MRU4
;RegKey8=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings|MRU5
;RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings|MRU6
;RegKey10=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings|MRU7
;RegKey11=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings|MRU8
;RegKey12=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\PowerPoint\File MRU
RegKey13=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Office PowerPoint\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
RegKey14=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Office InfoPath\Settings\Open\File Name MRU
RegKey15=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Office InfoPath\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
RegKey16=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Office Excel\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
RegKey17=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\Open Find\Microsoft Office Publisher\Settings\Save As\File Name MRU
;RegKey18=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Publisher\Recent File List
;RegKey19=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\InfoPath\Recent File List

What I did was rem out the the recently opened/saved files list for each program using a ;. But leaving the common open save dialogs so those are cleaned. I noticed in 2007 if you pin a document to the recent menu in word, excel etc. that they get removed when the 'File MRU' gets cleaned.

Alternately you could exclude the specific registry keys. For 2007 they would be...

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\File MRU

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\File MRU

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Access\Settings

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\PowerPoint\File MRU

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Publisher\Recent File List

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\InfoPath\Recent File List

You may just want to uncheck Office in the applications tab altogether.

Hello Disk4mat,

Wow !!!

Where you been hiding that list or is it the fact that you are still working on it?

I have no personal experience using any of these products.

I have been waiting for someone like you to come along and give us all some help.

From reading some of the other threads in the last few weeks I did notice that you seem to have some good insight to these.

Do you think this list is at the point that you can submit it to TwistedMetal for addition to the winapp2.ini file ?

Man, that will be great news for many users !!!

I hope that you have enough knowledge about some of the older Office Products to give them a review also.

Tremendous thanks,

:) davey

P.S. Also many of your Vista developments would be great also.

I'm sorry. I should have included both my operating system and the version of Office that I use. The operating system is Windows XP Professional and the version of Office is 2007.

What you provided is great! It works beautifully and meets my requirement perfectly. I really appreciate you posting this!

• 2 weeks later...
I've been reading in the forums and playing with CCleaner's configuration. I would like to run the program on a scheduled basis every night. It works great for that, but I'd like to leave the Most Recently Used (MRU) documents in the lists inside Word and Excel. I can't seem to find the correct combination of options to make this happen.

I have this same program. I want to keep my new window size, my display settings, and my MRU documents in MS Word.

But if I uncheck Office XP in CCleaner, will it still delete the temporary files I probably want deleted?

I'm afraid I don't understand the complicated discussion above about rem-ing out certain lines. If it solves this problem, could someone make the explanation a bit more understandable?

Thanks!

Kathy

kathyk,

In your case it may be easier to simply uncheck Office in the applications tab. As for cleaning the temporary files that you mentioned, the only files that are removed are shortcuts for recently opened/saved docs (apprx 1kb for each item). Everything else that CC removes are registry entries.

Thank you. Am I to assume, then, that not removing the registry entries associated with Word is all right in the long run?

Kathy

It should be fine. Its not like a history list that will grow. There are so many place holders for recent items in the registry. The only one that could pile up on you are the actual LNK files in: %appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent

If I remember correctly on XP its located in: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

Maybe give that a cleaning once a month.

I just remembered that I didn't like my newest version of Word and instead reinstalled my old one, and that's what I'm using. In Windows Explorer I see Office 10, Office 11, and Office 12, and it's Office 10 that my desktop shortcut opens.

However, in CCleaner I have three options: Office 2003, Office 2007, and Office XP. I just tried unchecking them one at a time and looking at the list when I run Analyze, and as far as I can tell, there's no difference at all in the list of files that comes up. The path is always ....Application Data/Microsoft/Office/Recent/... The files all have LNK in their names.

I haven't actually run CCleaner yet since we started this conversation, so I can't yet tell whether it's going to also grab my settings changes. But it certainly looks at a glance like unchecking the Office boxes makes no difference.

I have this same program. I want to keep my new window size, my display settings, and my MRU documents in MS Word.

But if I uncheck Office XP in CCleaner, will it still delete the temporary files I probably want deleted?

I'm afraid I don't understand the complicated discussion above about rem-ing out certain lines. If it solves this problem, could someone make the explanation a bit more understandable?

Thanks!

Kathy

Hi kathyk,

Welcome to the forums and CCleaner. :D

Disk4mat has advised you well.

Below is a list of Office 10.0 (Office XP) it will give you an idea what will not be cleaned if you turn off Office XP in your Applications list.

[Office XP]

LangSecRef=3021

Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common

Default=True

FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\PowerPoint\Recent File List

RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Recent Files

RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\FrontPage Explorer\Recent File List

RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\FrontPage Explorer\Recent Page List

RegKey5=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\FrontPage Explorer\Recent Web List

RegKey6=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\Recent Templates

RegKey7=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\Internet|UseRWHlinkNavigation

RegKey8=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Word\Data|Settings

RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Access\Settings

Good luck,

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/

CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com Bookmark and save to Favorites

Beginners advice

Start here with this link and follow its advice.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=105208

Also see this link about the Registry and newbies.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=96510

Come back and let us know how you did and what else we can help you with. There are lots of easy things to learn. One step at time.

Hi kathyk,

Welcome to the forums and CCleaner. :D

Disk4mat has advised you well.

Below is a list of Office 10.0 (Office XP) it will give you an idea what will not be cleaned if you turn off Office XP in your Applications list.

Thanks, Davey!

I just tried unchecking Office XP and my settings are still intact. :) Guess that's how I'll keep it.

Now, to use Disk4mat's suggestion of cleaning the "Recent" files once a month or so, is there a way to do that and still keep my settings?

Kathy

Since I dont have Office XP settings handy I'll borrow from Daves post :D

The line in bold above is the one you might want to clean monthly. Just to keep it from building up. You could simply copy the path. Goto Start, Run. Then paste it in and click ok. You should be taken to the folder where you can select the LNK files to delete. This way you could in Windows Explorer sort the column by 'Date Modified' and delete the older files.

%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent

Okay, remember, I don't know anything about this! :lol:

So whatever you're talking about would not be done in CCleaner at all?

I just copied FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*, pressed Windows Start and Run and pasted it in. (I also tried it without the "FileKey1=".) Got an error message. Am I in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing, or what?

Kathy

Okay, remember, I don't know anything about this! :lol:

So whatever you're talking about would not be done in CCleaner at all?

I just copied FileKey1=%appdata%\Microsoft\Office\Recent|*.*, pressed Windows Start and Run and pasted it in. (I also tried it without the "FileKey1=".) Got an error message. Am I in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing, or what?

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I just copied and pasted exactly what Disk4mat put into that code box for you. It is only one line and is in the quote area of the Reply above this one.

It will take you exactly to the Recent folder that you want.

Click on the Views Icon(looks like a rectangle with colored spots) above the right hand pane and select Details. This will show you a list of each file and the date it was created.

This list can get pretty long I would imagine. You may need to do this frequently but at least you get to control exactly which file is deleted by you.

Warning: Never delete an index.dat file. Answer "No" if you ever get messages about deleting an index.dat file.

The same goes for an desktop.ini file. FOR THAT MATTER, DON'T DELETE ANY FILE THAT YOU DON"T UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS. Maybe later when you learn more.

Best wishes,

Hi Kathy,

I just copied and pasted exactly what Disk4mat put into that code box for you. It is only one line and is in the quote area of the Reply above.

It will take you exactly to the Recent folder that you want.

Click on the Views Icon above the right hand pane and select Details. This will show you a list of each file and the date it was created.

This list can get pretty long I would imagine. You may need to do this frequently but at least you get to control exactly which file is deleted by you.

Best wishes,

Oh thanks, I got it to work. It was "quote area" versus "code" that confused me. I ended up having to copy the "code" part.

I'll try it in a month or so!

Kathy

Glad you got that sorted out and thanks to Dave for the clarification and additional notes. So... Who is buying the first round? :lol:

So that is where you have been !!!

Cold "Root Beer" most of the time. Drop by anytime !!! Coffee all the time.